*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1920751-Cowboy-Pinball
by Muskie
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Entertainment · #1920751
One man overcomes his fears at the county fair.
Cowboy Pinball




Pulling into the parking lot Matt tried to smile. The county fair was not what he had planed for tonight. He hated them. They were always dirty, overcrowded, and reeked of bad food. He tried to remind himself of all the good things that Lisa had pointed out to him when she talked him into coming. Except for her mentioning they were having a Rodeo, he couldn't remember a thing. He has never been to a rodeo and was looking forward to that part.

As he stepped out of the car, his senses were assaulted by the smell of grilled food and carnival music. The sun was just about to set and the lights of the midway glared out before him. He sighed in disgust. Lisa was grinning from ear to ear. She loved this sort of thing. He was standing by the car looking at the mass of humanity he soon would be part of when Lisa joined him. She slid her arm into his and stated.

"Now don't give me that look and get that frown off your face, we're going to have a great time tonight."

About that time a group of kids came running toward them. They were young somewhere around waist-high, whatever age that is. One ran straight into Matt.

"Sorry mister" he stated.

The child's face and hands were covered in cotton-candy; and now so were Matt's pants. The boy ran off to catch his friends. Matt looked at his sticky pants and then at Lisa, sarcastically stating.

"Oh yea fun, lots of fun."

Laughing Lisa coaxed him toward the midway.

Lisa knew Matt would end up having fun. He always did. Lisa is one of those people who knows how to live and enjoys every moment of it. Lisa never thought about things, she just did them. Matt on the other hand was a little more conservative. He never liked taking chances, and had a hard time just letting go. They have been married for four years now. He fell in love with Lisa the moment they meet. He had never met anyone like her. It was like she was on an adrenaline high all the time.

They had gone skydiving a few years back. Lisa loved it and talked about her trip to the ground for months. Matt's trip to the ground was in the airplane. It was the same with the Whitewater rafting. Lisa was all over the boat screaming and laughing. Matt spent most of the trip praying they survived.

It would seem that Matt and Lisa are an odd couple. In reality, Matt loves Lisa's whimsical attitude wishing he could be more like her. He complains, but actually enjoys every adventure she drags him on. Lisa on the other hand loves Matt's conservative nature. He is her rock that she depends on. He has a way of keeping her grounded when her adventures get out of control. Sometimes though, like tonight, his conservative attitude was irritating.


Tonight was typical for them. Lisa was cherishing every moment and Matt reluctantly enjoying the evening. For Matt the crowds were annoying, there were way too many kids, and he was feeling a little nauseous from the corn dog Lisa made him eat. Watching her and her enthusiasm, despite everything else, kept him smiling.

After wandering the midway for a couple hours they ran into some friends. Bill and Sally were a lot like them except Bill was the adventurous one. They were talking when Lisa pointed to the rides. Sally nodded yes. It wasn't a secret that Matt didn't care for them. Lisa now had someone to go on the rides with her. Matt could not see risking one's life on a ride that is maintained by a minimal wage roadie. Bill and the girls got in line for the large roller coaster. While Matt was watching them on the roller coaster he felt bad that he could not bring himself to get on it. He always told himself that it was just logical not to risk so much for a few minutes of thrill. But deep down he knew what it was.


Before long it was time for the Rodeo. The arena was behind the midway. They arrived a few minutes before the Rodeo started. The arena was half the size of a football field and had portable bleachers around it. There were gates at one end where the animals entered the arena. On the other end was a building containing concession stand and the announcer's booth. The couples found a seat up front near where the cowboys would come out. As the evening proceeded Bill was having a great time watching the cowboys do the sort of thing he could never bring himself to do. It actually stoked some adrenaline in him watching the bull roping.

The girls spent most of the time talking not really getting into the action. After about an hour the announcer stated they would have an intermission in 20 minutes. Entertainment during the intermission would be Cowboy Pinball, and anyone wanting to participate should make their way to the announcer's booth. Matt had never heard of Cowboy Pinball before, so he asked Bill if he knew what it was. Bill answered telling Matt about it.

"They scatter a bunch of hula hoops through the arena and have volunteers stand in them. Then they let the bull out into the arena. It's hilarious!" Bill stated.

"Why?" Matt asked.

"Last one standing in a hoop wins 500 hundred dollars."

"So how dangerous is it?"

"No one has ever died that I know of, but I have heard of people getting hurt before. I think they make you sign a waiver," Bill replied.

Matt became lost in thought. Anyone who would stand in there waiting for the bull to chase them out has to be crazy he thought. Then he considered it might be halfway safe it you had a hoop near the fence where you had time to get out. Then, if the bull never came your way you could make an easy 500 dollars. Matt was calculating the odds. Before long his good sense kicked in and he realized it was still crazy.

Right before intermission Matt and Bill went to the concession stand to get some drinks. They wanted to beat the crowds that always happened during halftime or intermission of any event. Standing in line Matt over heard a man signing up for the Cowboy Pinball event.


Matt started having one of those pivotal moments in life where one decision can change everything. He imagined himself back at the roller coaster watching his wife and friends having fun. He also realized how much he'd been missing out on during his life by giving into his fears. Suddenly, Matt knew what he had to do. Asking Bill to get Lisa a drink, he then proceeded over to the sign up table. Before you knew it he was signing the waiver. Grabbing Bill before he left his, only words were, "Don't tell Lisa."

"Really! You of all people are going to do this. You realize she will see you as soon as you step out there," Bill said.

Matt nodded. Bill just laughed. Then he told Matt good luck.

When Bill arrived back at the stands Lisa asked him where Matt was.

"I'm not sure, He might have gone to the restroom," Bill replied.

"I hope he hurries up. He's going to miss the intermission show."

Bill just smiled.

-----------




"MATT! What are you doing? You're going to get killed. Get out of there."


Matt could clearly hear Lisa over the crowds while standing there in the middle of the arena. Suddenly the whole place got quiet. One thing about being a passionate person, Lisa's anger ran as hot as her love.

"You have no clue what you're doing, Get out of there now!" She added.

Matt could hear the giggles coming from the stands. It was embarrassing. One of the two rodeo clowns that were walking around giving the contestants last minute advice looked at him.

"Yours," he asked.

"Yea, I didn't tell her I was doing this."

"Don't worry, just play it smart and we will keep you from getting hurt."

With that the clown moved on to the next contestant.

Matt smiled and waved to Lisa. He could see her giving Bill the third degree. Bill just shrugged his shoulders. Then he extended his hand towards Matt with his thumb pointing up.

The announcer came on the speakers. He explained the rules. It was pretty simple. If a person left their hoop either on their own, or expelled by the bull, then they were out of the contest and should leave the arena in an orderly manner. There was laughter. He stoked the crowds further by calling the volunteers brave and said there were ambulances standing by. The place erupted in cheers, appalling the brave volunteers.

Matt's courage was all but gone. This is stupid he told himself. He was getting ready to leave when a horn sounded and the gate flew open.



The bull was huge. They must have gotten the biggest one they had for this he thought. It came running into the arena snorting and pounding the ground. Three people took off running as soon as it entered. Matt wasn't one of them. The crowd laughed. It wasn't courage that kept Matt there, it was total unconditional fear. His feet wouldn't move.

The bull looked confused at the departure of the runners. It apparently didn't know which way to go. That is until he spotted the women in the red blouse standing in her hoop. Until then Matt didn't think about his clothing. Thankfully he had on tan Dockers and a gray shirt. He figured the neutral colors would help. That gave him some hope. Maybe, just maybe, this will work he thought.

The bull charged the woman. She ran with it hot on her heals. Just then one of the clowns cut between her and the bull, distracting it. It took off after the clown.
Matt understood now that these guys were here to protect them. He felt better.

Something was happening to him. The fear was dissipating, he felt courageous. He smiled.


There were now only six people left. After the clown jumped on the fence the bull turned to stalk his next victim. Matt didn't believe that animals could show facial expressions. If they did, then this bull was mad. It stomped the ground and shook his head slinging fluids left and right. It snorted over and over. Yea, it was pissed!

It charged another person on the other side of the arena. That contestant and a contestant nearby took off running. The clowns did their job and the contestants make it out ok.

It moved towards the man standing fifty feet in front of Matt. He was an older man and just stood there with his hands in his pockets. The bull charged! The man never moved. He took the hit in his stomach. The bull slung his head up throwing the man. He landed on his back hard. He slid a ways before coming to a stop in the dirt. The crowd let out a loud moan! One clown distracted the bull. The other went to help the man. The man stood, brushed himself off and seemed to be ok. The clown helped him out of the arena.


Now there were three left. Matt thought he might be next as the bull seemed to stay on his side of the arena just wandering around. The other contestants were quite a distance from him. The bull finally caught sight of one of the others, and it made a charge. The contestant ran. As he had seen before the clown cut between the person and distracted the bull. Only this time the bull caught the clown and knocked him to the ground. The other clown did his job to protect his partner

The bull started circling until it caught sight of Matt. His body tightened up as the bull stared at him. It didn't charge, but slowly started approaching Matt. Time to run he told himself. But like before his feet wouldn't move. The bull picked up the pace. Matt tried to move. His feet refused. Every fear Matt ever had was now running through him.

In his mind he saw his mother. "No you can't play football. It's too dangerous of a sport. You should never take chances with your life," She told him. Next he was looking out the window of the airplane watching Lisa diving to the ground, wishing he could force himself to follow her. The loud screams of the crowd brought him back to reality.

The bull was 30 feet away and charging now. Then it was only 20 feet away. Finally, Matt felt his feet. They were moving. He was running to the fence. He knew it was too late. The bull was faster. Matt looked over his shoulder. He saw that one of the clowns was still helping the other. Matt was on his own!

It's sort of funny the way time slows down in a moment like this. So many things were running thought his mind that it felt like he was crawling to the fence. He thought of Lisa and how he would miss her. Then again he wasn't sure you could miss someone when you were dead. Why did he do this? He spent his whole life being careful. Why now did he have to get courageous? He should have listened to his mother. Even Lisa thought this was wrong. After all, she let the whole crowd know. At lease with death I won't have to be afraid anymore.


He actually smelled the foul breath of the animal right before it hit him. He was five feet from the fence when his feet left the ground. As he lifted he looked down to see a horn on either side of his hip. The flat face of the bull was against his rump. It wasn't a clean throw. Matt tumbled end over end. At one point his head was down and facing the bull. That close he realized how ugly the animal was. He closed his eyes waiting for death. He cleared the fence by five feet. He was waiting for the impact of the ground when he landed in what felt like pillows. This isn't right he thought. That should have hurt. He was confused. Getting thrown 20 or 25 feet over a fence should have hurt when he landed. His only conclusion was, "I'm dead." But for death, it sure did stink here. Heaven shouldn't smell like this. So where am I?

Opening his eyes Matt realized he had landed in a large container holding the manure ridden straw and hay cleaned out of the animal stalls. Except for the smell it made a nice cushioned landing. He sighed with relief, realizing he wasn't dead after all.

Bill was the first to arrive there. "You OK," he asked. Sitting up Matt checked his arms and legs. Moved his head around and stated, "Yea, I think I am."

Bill extended a hand and pulled Matt out of the bin. Standing Matt realized he did have one injury. His rear end hurt really bad. Nothing seemed to be broke, but he would be bruised for a while.

Lisa came running, putting her arms around him in tears. That’s when he heard the cheers of the crowd applauding his near death experience.

Matt smiled and waved his hand showing he was ok to the cheering fans. It was crazy and stupid, but he had never felt as alive as he did right then.

Maybe fear is a good thing sometimes, but he doubted he would ever let it rule his life again. Lisa knew her husband and looking into his eyes she said.

"You don't have to prove anything to me you know."

"I didn't do this for you. I did it for me," he told her.

"Did it help?"

"I let you know after we ride that roller coaster," he replied

Backing away from him and holding her nose she said, "Not until you have a bath mister." They both laughed.


Matt didn't win the 500 dollars, but he achieved more than he could imagine.
He left the fair that night a different man. Sometimes all it takes is one courageous moment to change a life forever.

The End

© Copyright 2013 Muskie (muskie_295 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1920751-Cowboy-Pinball