*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1920964-Break-the-Glass
by Dove
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Romance/Love · #1920964
the world behind mirrors; our Reflections
Chapter 1

I stare at the girl on the other side of the glass and copy what she was doing. The girl, Michelle, had a dreadfully boring bathroom routine. It was the same every day. In the morning, she would brush her teeth, use the toilet, put in her contacts and pretty herself up. At night, she would brush her teeth, use the toilet, take out her contacts, and wash off the makeup.
Sometimes, she would sing. She thinks that she’s a great singer, but I wouldn’t know better. The glass in soundproof. Michelle always seems to enjoy herself though. Occasionally, there would be a spider hiding in a corner, and I would go through the moves of freaking out. I don’t know why she’s so scared of them. Then, Michelle would finally finish everything and I would leave the glass, ready to jump in whenever.

It’s a tricky job, having to copy everything Michelle does, but I have to. I live in the Reflection World.

Long ago, the Bodies and Reflections lived side by side without the need of a barrier, friendly and cooperative. Both needed each other to live, but at one point in time, the Reflections felt the unjust. We looked the same, but had no free will of our own and were so commonly taken for granted. So there was the Revolt. The Bodies seemed to have forgotten, but we don’t have the chance. The story of humiliating defeat and becoming locked up behind the glass is the story passed down the generations.
Even though we were locked up and the Bodies forgot we’re alive, we still have a connection with each other. And that is why my best friends are her best friends’ Reflections.

My favorite times are times like now, when Michelle is asleep and has no use for a mirror. Then I’m free to go back into the Reflection World where there is sound and life. Usually I would go find Ashley and Kathy. Or Darren.
Everything about Darren is perfect. I was there when Michelle first saw him, and fell for him at the same time. I feel that even without the connection between me and Michelle, I would still love him. Of course, then I have to wonder if he loves me only because I am Michelle’s reflection. I don’t really care, as long as I could be with him.

And somehow I found myself walking towards Darren. He was sitting on a bench, staring blankly at the lake, the trees, and the sky. I sat down next to him, silently, and for the next hour, we contemplated the mysteries of the world together. Usually I hate silence, because it reminds me of being at the mirror and the edge of the Reflection World, but with Darren, I was at the center of the worlds.
After a while, he broke the silence. “Michelle?”
I was fantasizing about being a warrior and having romantic adventures with Darren, and it took me a moment to register what was happening. “Hmm?”
“I don’t know.” He moved to look at me better, and I did the same. “I just wanted to say your name because you were clearly daydreaming.”
I blushed, slightly embarrassed for no reason. “You’re so weird.” That was usually my reply to anything when I didn’t know what to say.
“Were you thinking of me?”
“No, of course not. Why would anyone think of you?” And, of course, that wasn’t true.
He smiled. I smiled. And he leaned towards me.
We never get to kiss as much as our Bodies. It’s really not fair. I don’t understand why they can’t kiss in front of a mirror more often.

After a while of wishing time could stand still, he had to leave for the mirror. I stay at the bench, staring at the lake, like he had been doing. The water is so clean and clear. But even standing at the bank, I couldn't see my reflection. I was the reflection. I threw a stone at where the face of my reflection would be and it created ripples, but the water was still clear. The whole scene at that moment was so poetic and I felt so bi-polar that I almost started crying. I thought to myself that Michelle was probably going through some problem right then.

And I was right. The next time I found myself at the mirror, Michelle was staring at me. In her mind, she was probably searching in her own eyes for an answer. I just wanted as answer as to why we were, and are, feeling so depressed. Her eyes were telling nothing, and I didn't have to chance to ask anyone before this.
Suddenly, there was this sharp yet dull pain deep in my chest. Then tears spilled out of Michelle’s eyes and I was crying with her. But I was so confused! What was going on? I shouldn't have to sob without knowing why. I really wanted to break the glass and shake Michelle until she told me.
Now Michelle was collapsed, leaning and crying into the sink. Everything was so dramatic I wanted to laugh, but I was too deep in sorrow.
And then she stood up and left. Probably to cry herself to sleep. I, on the other hand, was facing an empty room and no clue what just happened to me. Who did? Kathy? Ashley? Darren?

I hate how Michelle always has these total PMS moments. She acts as if she's on her period, is pregnant, and going through menopause at the same time. I don't even know who is actually pissed and who is just feeling the connection. Sometimes, I forget who I am. But, really, who am I? I don't deal with sudden emotion changes too nicely. I tend to freak and obsess over it. Like now.

I walk over to Ashley's house, where I thought she would be. She is my best friend and the only person who understood my mood swings. Her Body has issues too, which means our times together are always crazy. Talking and ranting to her makes me feel better.
While going to her house, I walked past all these people. I wonder if they have any clue about their lives. Maybe they're just going through the motions, and maybe others are actually living it. I was doing both, and neither.

When I finally got to her house, she led me to her room, and privacy. Her family is always home, unlike mine, where we wander around whenever we're not needed.
“Ashley,” I stretch out her name as I fall apart, not literally, onto her bed, ready to whine for an hour. “My life sucks.”
Sitting down next to me on the bed, she asks, “What's wrong this time?”
“I don't know. That's the problem,” I flip over, onto my stomach, and talk to the bed. “She just lost it and started sobbing. I thought you would know why.”
Ashley started laughing. Of course she would. “Oh, poor baby. You're life really does suck.”
“This isn't funny, Ashley! I randomly just start hating the world. This can lead to me committing suicide or something!” Except, I guess I was kind of funny. Not really. It's funny when Ashley is going through mood swings, but not when it happens to myself. I told her that. She didn't agree.

I'm not sure what we did afterward. Probably a bunch of stupid, boring stuff. Like talking to her family. Or discussing our boyfriends. Her boyfriend, Tommy, is a Chinese ginger. An Asian with natural orange hair. I didn't know that was possible until I met him. He's friends with Darren too.
Anyways, we talked about everything except why Michelle was so depressed. Now I really want to know. It's the only thing I want to know. She's never been this messed up and for this long. In fact, I still feel slightly sad. And that's all I can think about. Maybe a visit to my computer would take my mind off of all this.

I have a lot of favorite pastimes. The internet is just a gateway to them. A couple include being lazy, doing nothing, and forgetting things for a while. Watching movies and listening to music online are my drugs. Writing poetry too. It helps me vent, but I'm not as good at that than laughing at a funny scene.
So I settled with a nice TV drama. It's a romantic comedy called Prince Turns to Frog. And with my luck, the episode I landed on was depressing as hell. It's probably near the climax where the guy's parents tell the girl that she needs to leave the guy. Forever. Of course they get back together in the end, but watching that didn't help with my mood at all. I seriously needed something before I blow up, and of course I get pulled to the mirror.
Maybe to make me feel better, Michelle was with Darren, in front of a mirror. I could feel that she was kind of happier with a tinge of sadness and a little weird and I was just totally overjoyed. I've been meaning to find Darren. Just seeing him was enough.
We're on the bus, sharing an iPod. It's Darren's and it's filled with music from every genre. Classical, rock, pop, Cpop, Jpop, jazz. Everything. Darren's Body was staring at the window and Michelle stared at the chemistry textbook in her lap. I'm not sure what our they were listening to, but Darren decided we should listen to a Jpop song. It was a song I recommended to him, called “Only Human”. I didn't exactly understand the words, of course, but the first time I heard the song, I looked up English translations.

“Even if it cuts through the rain and clouds/ The wet roads shine.                                   
Only the dark will teach/ A stronger and stronger light.                                               
Be strong, go forward, move ahead.”

The words are encouraging, but the melody is so sad. I look at Darren, even though Michelle didn't move. What's with this sudden sad music? His Body seems fine. Maybe a little tired, but fine. I asked him what's wrong, and he told me he's ok. Being the nosy person I am, I kept asking. “Darren, are you seriously ok?”
He didn't look at me. “Yeah, seriously.”
I wonder if that was supposed to sound believable. “Really.”
He sighed and just looked so fragile. “Just some family problems, you know.”
And I did know. His family was messed up. There was always a person hating someone else, or going in and out of jail, or something similar. I hugged him, but he just sat there, so I took his hand. To make me feel better. “Things will work out. I'll be with you.” I don't know if I comforted Darren at all, but that was all I could do. Words don't come out of my mouth the way I want them to. Now I could guess why Michelle was so depressed. Although now I have to deal with Darren and his moodiness.

I didn't realize until afterwords that our Bodies didn't move and didn't hug. I just hoped that they didn't look to see their Reflections moving by themselves. That would be more trouble.
For the first time, I didn't want to be with Darren. But as soon as Michelle left he bus and it's reflective surfaces and Daren stayed in the bus, I felt lonely. “Only Human” kept playing in my mind as I walked to my house.

“Only Human” was one of the theme songs of a Japanese drama I watched a while ago. The drama, One Liter of Tears, was based off of the diary a real girl wrote. She had a rare and horrible brain disease and kept a record of everything until the end. I remember crying for that girl, but knowing that other people have bigger problems doesn't help me. I still feel that my life sucks.
I wonder what will happen if I wrote a diary too. I can imagine someone from the future finding it and reading about a depressed Reflection girl. If I wrote an entry for today, it would be filled with whining.

Dear Diary,
My life is so full with drama right now. Everyone, myself included, is depressed and I don't know why. I just want answers so damn bad. Why does the glass have to be soundproof? How did I get stuck with a Body like Michelle? So much stress.


Then I'll talk about going to Ashley's house and Darren's family problems. And comment on the weather. Maybe mention the funeral. That might make my diary lesson-to-be-learned drama material.

There was a funeral today, too. As if my own problems weren't enough. A Reflection dying is always more emotional and sudden in my opinion. You could be hanging out with your friends or talking with your family. Then, your Body would die somewhere without mirrors, and you would drop dead. In the middle of everything. Once a Body dies, there isn't a use of a Reflection anymore. So selfish of the Bodies, but what can we do?
I just hope that I get some warning before I die. That will be nice.

If someone ever read my diary, they would probably think I'm really negative. I swear I'm usually not like this!
It was nice writing and had the same effects as writing poetry. I kind of want to actually kept a diary now. There is a problem though. Time isn't as clear in the Reflection World. I know that sometimes it gets dark and then the sun rises, but it's not like in the other world. Maybe I should put my entire life into one long never ending entry. Maybe.

But now I want to sleep. Not that I needed it, but my bed is awfully comfy.

I dreamed up a land of colorful things and marshmallows. There were triple rainbows, tame unicorns, and fairies everywhere. Everything was sparkly and happy. And weird. After I decided that being this happy was abnormal, the world turned ugly. Rainbows broke apart and fell onto the earth, crushing the marshmallows. The unicorns were violent beasts again. Nice little fairies turned into evil manipulative faeries. In the back of my mind, I thought to myself that I've read too many fantasy books.
Then, while running from a unicorn with foam coming out of his mouth, I reached a cliff. At the edge was a mysterious girl with her back to me. She was wearing a billowing black cape. Somehow I knew that she was a sorceress and controlled this world. She raised her arm and an ard of dragons appeared out of nowhere. I could tell they were preparing to breathe fire.
Just as I was getting bombarded by fireballs, the girl turned around and smiled. It was Michelle.

Then I woke up, because it's not possible to die in dreams. Michelle was staring at me, not fully awake as she brushed her teeth. The foamy toothpaste reminded me of the unicorns in my dream and seeing Michelle scared me. I mean, she was a crazy and creepy witch and almost killed me!
At least Michelle doesn't seem depressed anymore. Glad that's over.
She started talking to herself and I moved my lips too. “Wow, talking to myself is so much fun. How are you Michelle? Not sad anymore?” She didn't respond. Obviously.

Later, she got to school and I saw Kathy and Ashley. Sometimes they like to hang out in the bathroom before class starts. As soon as I got there, Kathy ran over to give me a big hug. “Michelle!!”
I tried to say something, but my face was squished around. It kind of sounded like “Oh, Kathmmurm....” When she finally let go of me, I said, “Hi Kathy. Nice to see you. And hi Ashley.
She smiled at me and we busied ourselves by fixing our hair and makeup. Michelle started talking, so I took the chance. “Kathy, do you have any clue what's going on with Michelle? And Darren?” Both of them have a panicked expression. I'm pretty sure they were hiding stuff from me. “Why are they both depressed and why am I the only person who doesn't know what's going on?” Our Bodies have left, so we're free to say whatever we want now.
Ashley and Kathy look at each other. For a long time. It was pissing me off. “Come on guys. Did Michelle and Darren break up or something?”
“Michelle...Well, I'm not really sure,” Kathy said to the floor.
“Are you going to tell me or not?”
“I didn't know I have options. I choose to not tell you.” She tried to lighten up the mood and laughed awkwardly. I must have looked more than pissed because then she said, “Ok Fine. I'll tell you.” She took a deep breath. “So you know how your mom doesn't approve of Darren's family and his dad thinks you're rich and-”
“I am not a snobby rich girl! I'm not even rich!”
Kathy keeps going as if I never said anything. “Snobby. Well now there are those problems and some rumors, I think, around the school.”
“So we broke up?”
         
Once, Darren and I were looking at a piece of music and reading the tempo markings. He decided to be clever and said, “I'm poco agitato.” That's how I feel right now. A little agitated.
         
“Michelle, your Body is different from you. She keeps everything to herself and doesn't tell us.
         
It should be molto, not poco. Very agitated. “So you're saying that I complain too much?”
         
Ashley has been hanging out in the back this whole time. Whenever there is an argument, it's always me versus Kathy, with Ashley in the middle. Now she decided to join in. “No! You confiding into us shows that you trust us! That's a good thing.”
But I wasn't listening. I need Darren.” Where's Darren? I'm going to find him. Now.”

Darren lives in this other neighborhood. I hate myself for it, but the people there scare me. Everything about them seems to tell me, “Go home. You're in the wrong place.”
I knock on the door, and his sister opens it. She doesn't like me.
“Hi. Is Darren here?”
“What the hell do you want? You already broke up with him.”
So we did break up. This is a nice way to confirm it. “My Body did, but I didn't! I still love him.”

Her face twisted up like she ate something gross. “Yeah right. You're only going out with Darren to be a rebel and piss of your daddy.”
Now I'm the one who's pissed. “What? My dad doesn't give a shit about anything.” I see someone move in the house. It's Darren.

“Jolin, who's at the door?” he asks. I immediately feel this awkwardness spread throughout my body while Jolin is still staring daggers at me. Darren comes over and stares at me too. “Michelle!”
“Umm, hi Darren,” I mumble. I wish I didn't come. What's the point?
Then he told his sister, “I'm going out.” He took my arm and pretty much dragged me away, ignoring Jolin.
Once we were at the park, he let go of me, and said, “Sorry that Jolin is such a bitch.”
I didn't really know what to say. “Sorry that Michelle is such a bitch too.” I thought that at that point I would have to go home because it's too awkward to hold a conversation. I didn't want to leave Darren though, so we kept walking around the lake.

The lake is small, but after walking five laps in silence, I was tired. “Darren, do you want to go sit on the bench?” So we do. It's like that one night where we were sitting here and I was fantasizing about him. Now everything is different. I'm so tense and nervous. Like when you're stuck with someone you just met.
Nothing was happening. I decide I can't stand the silence anymore. I stand up to leave, but then he finally breaks the silence. It felt like I haven't head his voice in a really long time.
“Why did you come find me?”

Good question. I have no clue. Because I thought that he would tell me everything's all right? “I just found out that my Body broke up with you. What's going on?”
“Our Bodies broke up. That happens a lot.” He wasn't looking at me. I wasn't really looking at him either.
“But I don't want to break up with you! Are you saying that you only loved me because I was the Reflection?” I wanted to cry. I've been wondering that question for so long, and today I finally asked it out loud.

I don't want an answer anymore. And I didn't get one. Darren opened his mouth to speak, closed it, and left without a word. Leaving, like we have nothing to do with each other anymore. I guess that's enough of an answer.
I should be satisfied now. But all I fee are the tears coming, and this time, it's not Michelle’s. I feel like I would be depressed for a really long time. Maybe forever.

Chapter 2

When I wasn't needed in the mirror, I stayed in my room and wrote poetry. I wrote about depressing and tragic love stories. Maybe to make myself feel better.

Last kiss
still on my lips.
Last glance
still in my mind.

Last breath
please no
come back.
Don't leave me alone.

Last love
in front of me
gone.
Still bleeding
black blood.
No life
still warm.

Only remembrance.

Our fingers
still together
interlocking.

Go to sleep now
rest well.
We'll meet again soon.

I stop at the last line. If something happened to Darren, would I go with him? Better question, would he want to see me in his afterlife? Probably not.

Dear Diary,
Nothing much has changed since last time I wrote. My life is still pretty messed up, but now I'm really lonely too. It's winter break and Michelle decided that she (we) should stay home and rot. Ashley is on a cruise, because her Body's family has the time and money to do that. Kathy is practicing, as usual. Have I mentioned before that she's a dancer? Well, she is, and dancing requires a lot of mirror time. I haven't seen her in a long time. I don't think I remember what she looks like. Just kidding. So there's no one I can confide into except this diary.
I'm not sure if I'm avoiding Darren, or he's hiding from me. Maybe it's both. Or we just can't find each other.

I stop writing, because I realize just how much I miss him. So I get up and go to my favorite place: in front of the computer. Technically, it's a laptop. Other people would get their phone and text, but I don't like to. There's no reason. I'm just special.
I open up chat, and stare at the screen. I can't exactly write “Hi. Are you avoiding me? Just wondering, so I can get rid of one of the options.” Although, I wonder how he would respond to that.
Hi. How are you? That sounds too formal. I don't want to act like we're strangers.
Hey, watcha doin? How about no.
Hi. What are you doing? No.
So I settle on “Hey”. I'm not sure if he's even online, because he almost always is on invisible. Then I see on the bottom of the screen that he's typing. That's a good sign, I guess.
Darren: Hi. How's winter break?
That's such an awkward question. Lonely. Enter. Without you. Wow, I can't believe I just wrote that. Can I just tell him that I miss him? Probably not. Can we meet up somewhere?
I don't know if he missed me too or just wanted to give an official break up, but he said yes. Of course it would be at night in the park. Where else? That was literally our park.
I will finally see him again after one week. I can't remember the last time we've been apart for so long. Sad, right?

I could hardly see him in the dark. He was fully clothed in black and blended in perfectly with everything. I immediately thought that maybe he got bit by a vampire and that's why we had to break up. It could be true and I won't know any better.
I vaguely thought that I miss his bare arms, but then he spoke.
“Look,” not even a greeting? A simple hi or hello? “Our Bodies broke up. It'll be best if we break up too.”
I didn't know what to say. Everything I wanted to say disappeared. Was this really happening? I felt so foolish for all the fantasies of him being my true love. I wanted to slap him for every time he told me he loved me and all the promises he just broke.
“What?” I sputtered. That is the best way to describe it. “But, why?” That seems to be the only question I could ask. What were the stages of loss and grief? Denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance? I'm definitely going through the first four stages at the same time right now. I'll probably never get to that last one. “We don't have to. We don't have to do whatever our Bodies do!” I knew it was of no use though. Darren made up his mind, and I can't change anything.
“It'll be best for all of us,” he said. “We're different people.” Are we? It doesn't sound like something he would say. I thought we were together in proving everyone wrong. But I guess not.
After a while, he left. I wanted to leave before him, so I wouldn't feel like he was abandoning me, but I couldn't move. I just wanted to curl up into a ball and cry.

Please tell me why
I'm still here.
You've long gone
Your touch fading away.
Why am I waiting?
Do I really think
that you'll turn back?
We've gone from total understanding to the total strangers of today.
I look up and watch
Love walk away.

Some time during the next week, Michelle's parents realized that something happened to her and that their daughter was kind of depressed. They started eating breakfast and lunch and dinner with her. As if that would help. And also, for some stupid reason, there was a giant mirror in the dining room. So I had to talk with my parents way more than I want.
“Michelle,” my mother said as she dumped some scrambled eggs onto my plate. The yellow mess looked like brains and my Body was disgusted too. “Don't feel too bad about dumping that boy. It would've ended sooner or later.” Michelle was still chewing the brains, but I was about to throw up.
“No. He broke up with me.” I felt that I had to clarify that.
My father was enraged. “What? How could he break up with you? Who does he think he is?”
I wanted to leave, because I knew where this would lead to, but Michelle stayed glued to the chair. What would happen if I slapped both of my parents?
“Mom, Dad, calm down. Please. Darren can break up with whoever he wants, whenever he wants.” Actually, I would rather he doesn't, but he did.
“You want me to calm down?” My mom was high pitched and shrill now. “How will people think of me if they found out that my daughter was dumped by someone from a family like his? I can't believe you're still defending him.”
At that, I was done. Thankfully, so was Michelle. We got up and left. To be exact, I stormed out. I just hope my stupid father won't show up at Darren's house with a shot gun. Or something.

After leaving the room dramatically, Michelle locked herself in her room and went to take a nap. That meant that I got to go back under my rock. I wanted to have nothing to do with the world, but then Tommy messaged me. He hardly ever talks to me, except if it's about Ashley. Or Darren.
Tommy: What happened with Darren?
Me: ?
He better not be asking me about why we broke up. I would flip out.
Tommy: He's all depressed.
Well, so am I. Sucks to be him.
Tommy: Are you sure you don't know anything?
Me: Other than the obvious?
Of course he's sad that he broke up with me. Who wouldn't? I'm the best girlfriend.
Tommy: Oh Ok.
            I swear he's having serious problems, though.
Me: So does everyone.
Tommy: I'm being serious, Michelle.
And I'm not?
Me: K
If I wasn't before, I'm totally done with everything now.
Me: gtg
         
I logged off without caring about Tommy.
         
I thought about chatting Ashley to tell her her boyfriend was being weird. But then I decided against it since I haven't talked to her yet after that one day. Instead, I drifted to sleep. Sleep is the only thing I can do at times like this.

I close my eyes
and the problems go away
a temporary escape.
I hide in my dreams
and I want to stay.
But the happiness melts
reality floods back.
The peacefulness is gone
and I'm found, exposed
Back.

I had wanted to take a long nap, but no. Michelle had to decide to go visit Kathy at dance. So I sat through an awkward car ride with Mother (Michelle hasn't gotten her license yet) and then in an uncomfortable chair at dance.
I'm not sure what Kathy was thinking after the last time I talked to her, but I feel kind of bad. During the car ride, I've decided that I should apologize. Except I hardly ever apologized.
On a side note, Kathy's a really good dancer. I wish I can dance. It'll be great if I can have a talent other than being able to feel depressed for amazingly long periods of time. Can someone please cheer me up? Darren's smiling face flashed in my mind. Well, that wasn't helping.
Thankfully at that time, the teacher called a water break and Kathy walked over. She looked sweaty and gross. “Hey Michelle. Why'd you randomly show up?”
“I seriously have no clue!” That was the truth. “You're a good dancer.”
“You're acting like you've never seen me dance before.”
“Oh.” What am I supposed to say now? “Awkward.”
She gave a half smile. “it's not awkward unless you say it is.”
Except now it truly is awkward. We pause, thinking of something to say.
“Sorry I-”
“Sorry.”
It was one of those cliched movie moments where two people speak at the same time after an awkward silence.

She let me talk. “Sorry about last time. I was being rude, I guess.”
Kathy smiled and said it was ok. Usually in movies, this is where the people make up and act like nothing ever happened. But this isn't a movie. I thought about making small talk, but then water break ended. I let out a huge sigh of relief. Trying to think of stuff to say and fake smiling is hard work.
I wonder what our Bodies had been talking about. Their conversation didn't seem half as awkward.
Michelle stayed a bit later to keep watching Kathy. I could feel the jealousy. At least we have something in common.

Chapter 3


Dear Diary,
My life is so empty now. During the drama in the past few days, I've lost Darren. He was pretty much the most important person in my life! I feel like I lost my friends too. Talking to Kathy is awkward. I don't know why though. I'm not even mad at her. Ashley is still on her cruise. Will she be talking to me even if she was here? I don't know, but I hope so.
My life is so sad that I want school to start, even if it means sitting through boring lectures and hanging out in bathrooms all day.

The last few days of winter break were the worst. I didn't do anything, other than finish a drama. I became more and more nervous about school. What are people going to say? The good thing is I only have two classes with Darren. Lunch and gym. I don't have to talk to him in those, but I was still scared. I can't help it!
For some reason, Michelle only needed me for lunch and gym. Some had a shiny water bottle. I thought that was pretty stupid. When Ashley showed up, I immediately blurted “Oh my god! You are so tan!” It was the truth and also the first thing I noticed. Then I realized I had to apologize. “Oh, and sorry about last time.” Pretty much the same thing I said to Kathy.
“It's ok. I can't ever stay mad at you 'cause there's always something important I have to tell you, like right now.” That's why I love Ashley.
“What?”
“Did you know there's a new girl?”
No. No I do not. “Umm, no. What new girl?”
“She's not really new anymore. She came before winter break, but I just say her today.”
Interesting. “Oh. What does she look like?”
“Umm, she has blonde-” She stopped and half pointed behind me. “She's right there.”
I really wanted to turn my head, but Michelle didn't. That was annoying and I was getting more curious. Ashley thought this was amusing. I thought that was sadistic of her. Then, magically, Michelle turned around. I saw the new girl, and then wish I didn't.
“Why is she talking to Darren? That's so not allowed!”
“Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can't control who talks to who,” said Ashley.
“I don't care.”
“Ok Michelle. Whatever you say.”

I was on my way back into the Reflection World, away from the glass, when I saw the new girl again. She saw me too and walked over. It was more of a strut though.
“You're Michelle,” she said while tossing her ugly blonde hair.
She's the type of girl I can't stand. Ditzy, stupid, and arrogant. Darren didn't like them either. “You're the new girl, right?”
“I'm Reya Bree and I don't like you.” I might have just told myself that I don't like her, but I was taken aback. Also, what kind of name was that?
“Umm what? Excuse me? I just met you today.”
“So what? It doesn't matter, because I've heard of you. And I'm going to make your life miserable.”
“Alright then. Have fun,” I said, but she left already, blonde hair flying in the air.
Okay. What the serious fuck just happened? This random bitch shows up, talks to  Darren and then tells me she hates me. That's nice. I should write my life into a drama. It'll probably get really good ratings.
I walk home, trying to understand everything. So this girl hates me and she also knows Darren, apparently, even though she's new. Maybe she has a crush on Darren, but he still has feelings me for, so it's a messy love triangle. I wish.
I know I don't like her because of her attitude and she was talking to my Darren. By why does she hate me? And she heard of me before? I guess I'm more popular than I though. Or maybe she was just high off of some new drug. That sounded the most plausible. She's just a crazy bitch, I told myself. But I kept hearing her threat about making my life miserable. It would be great if my life doesn't get any worse than this. Seriously. I don't need it.
Enough of that guessing and worrying. I changed course and ended up at Ashley's house. It was time for some gossip.

“So she just approached you like that?” I nodded. “That was really straightforward of her.”
“Yeah. I was like, 'What just happened to me?' Like seriously. You need to help me with this.”
“Ok,” said Ashley. “I don't exactly know much though. I think she moved from the same town as Darren.”
Darren moved here a while back. Then we started dating.
“Really? That's coincidental.”
“Maybe you guys are all connected by fate. Maybe she had a crazy crush on Darren, then he moved here and started dating you. So, of course, she got jealous and came here to break you guys up. But you guys already broke up and now she's pissed that she's stuck in a crappy town.”
“Ash, you watch too many dramas.” That was all I could say.
“So do you. And if I'm too drama-obsessed, it's all your fault.”
That much is true, I guess. “Yeah, sure.”
“You should ask Kathy about that new girl. She knows all about this stuff.”
“But I don't want to talk to her.”
“You guys need to make up.”
“But it's awkward.”
“Stop whining.”
         
After a long time, Ashley convinced me to talk to Kathy. I don't know how. Ashley decided the easiest way to do that is to have her come over. I played with a loose thread in my jacket while she called Kathy.
“Hey Kathy!” Ashley said into her phone. “Wanna come over to my house?” Pause. “Umm...right now?” A longer pause. “Yeah, that's totally fine. Michelle's over too.” Pause number three. “Yay! See you soon!”
Ashley hung up and looked over at me. “She's coming, but she's also bringing a friend with.”
“She has friends other than the two of us?” Of course, I meant that in the most loving way possible. “I can't do this with a stranger here.”
“Well, sucks for you then.”
“But, Ashley! This wasn't part of the agreement! It's not fair!”
         
And then I couldn't do anything, because the doorbell rang. Ashley ran out of the room to open the door for them. Why was she so excited? Shaking my head, I ran out too and crashed into Ashley. She gestured for me to go back, and I was going to ask her what was going on, when Kathy and her new friend appeared.
“Hi Ashley! Hi Michelle!” said Kathy. “This is Reya Bree. I thought that we could all hang out together.” The blonde bitch looked at me and smiled. I smiled too, and I hope it was convincing. I'm a good actress, and this was the perfect time for my acting skills.
I paused and then put on a panicked expression. “Oh my gosh! Nice to meet you Reya, but I just remembered that I promised my mother to be home for dinner! I got to go. Bye!” All through this, I avoided looking at Ashley. I bet she was pissed, or just amazed at my skills.
I thought about talking more, but then decided against it and sprinted out the door. I didn't look back or stop until I was halfway to my house. I would've kept on running, but I was exhausted. For a while, I leaned against a tree, gasping for breath. That girl is totally stalking me. She's everywhere!
I wonder how Ashley is doing with those two. I smiled to myself. Can't wait to hear about it.

Ashley: MICHELLE!!! I can't believe you left me alone!!!!!
Me: Hahahahahahahaha...sorry...what was I supposed to do?
Ashley: Umm...stay there with me?
Me: Yeah, that wasn't going to happen.
Ashley: Wow you're a great friend.
Me: Lol, of course.
Ashley: But you left so dramatically. Like all that acting and the sprinting out part. Was that seriously necessary?
Me: Ok. Maybe I was having a little too much fun with that.
Ashley: You should be an actress.
Me: Yeah, I totally should.
      So what happened after I left? Was it awesome? Some bonding time with Reya?
Ashley: Oh. Now you're interested.
Me: TELL ME
Ashley: Well, you may or may not become really really pissed. I'm not sure if I want to tell you.
            Seriously though.
Me: I don' care. If you don't tell me, I'm going to flip out.
Ashley: Ok. Are you ready for this?
Me: OMG ASHLEY
Ashley: Calm down
Me: ASHLEYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ashely: Reyaisdarrensex
Me: Reya is darren sex?
Ashley: Ha. Ha.
            You're avoiding what I just said.
Me: WHAT DID DARREN SEE IN HER?
      And then he dated me next. So what does that say about me?
Ashley: Umm...Idk
            But on the bright side, we were right about her liking him. At least.
Me: But does that mean that in Darren's mind, I'm the same type of girl as her?
Ashley: Maybe he broke up with her because he realized what a bitch she is.
Me: But he broke up with me too.
Ashley: I'm trying to help you here...
Me: Sorry
      But what???? I don't understaaaaand!!!...........
      What is this? My life has been a lie!!
Ashley: K. I'm going to leave you alone so that you can digest this news.
            Bye!!
Me: Wait...Ashley!!
      Come back. Don't leave me! I need you!!
Ashley: Haha. Revenge
            Kbye.
         
And then she logged off. I guess all I can do is try to digest this news, like she told me to do.

The next day at school, I greatly appreciated my Body's intelligence. Being in all honors and AP classes meant that I could avoid seeing the Bitch until gym class. For some reason, she had to be in the class where I have no friends.
While changing, Adel, a semi-friend of mine, started talking to me about the Bitch. “Michelle, what do you think of Reya Bree?”
“Oh, Reya Bree? I don't really know her.”
“Really?”
“Yeah. What do you think of her?”
“She's awesome and really really nice.”
Well, I'm really really glad that I didn't tell Adel that I think the Bitch is a bitch. I don't think that would be pretty. But, wow. Is there really a side of the Bitch that I haven't gotten to know yet? Or is she just two-faced and fake?
I'm not sure, but I do know that that was the worst gym class in my life. Once, in middle school, I was hit in the face by a hockey puck. That hurt like hell, but today's class made me want to hurt someone else. During the fifty minute class, Bitch was all over Darren and Adel kept telling me how nice she is. Why Adel was talking to me, I don't know.
We were in the weight room, which is usually my favorite, because I don't have to do anything. Halfway through the period, I started daydreaming. In my daydream, I was eating dinner with my parents. Anything was better than gym class. Occasionally, Adel's words would float into my dream.
“During winter break, she took me on a shopping spree. We went to all these name brand stores, and she paid for everything.” My mom gave me some spinach and steak. She opened her mouth, but out came Adel's voice. “The only bad thing was that I wasn't the only person. She took a whole bunch of people. And paid for all of them! I can't believe she's so rich. She doesn't look like she would be rich.”
“Maybe her family sells drugs,” I murmured. My mom's face pixelated and then faded, like in the movies. Adel's giant face took over my vision.
“What did you say? I couldn't hear you clearly.”
Did I really say that out loud. Oops. I wish I could go back to my daydream, but no. “Oh, nothing. I was talking to myself.”
Adel relaxed, and then launched into another speech about Bitch. Which got me thinking. Maybe this was part of her plan to make my life miserable? Well, it wasn't really working, because I'm getting entertained.
Then I decided that Adel was messing with my mind. What was I thinking? Entertained? When Bitch is taking over Darren and people around me? I'm definitely going crazy. If I really was going crazy, I wouldn't be able to do anything about it. The only thing I can do at this moment, was pretend to be paying attention to Adel. I started doing some calf raises while nodding at Adel.
© Copyright 2013 Dove (fefelrefel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1920964-Break-the-Glass