*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1921211-Determination
by Aelyah
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1921211
Hear Ye, make sure your thoughts don't slack Beware the gruesome ransom for your crime.
Matt chewed on the end of the crayon, then heard a snap and his teeth crashed on something foul tasting. He spit and threw the pencil in the trashcan.

The scribblings on the record books were sheer madness and guilt swelled into him at the thought of Diane's last years with Chad.

He promised Diane he would go through the log books, and he wondered how to broach, now, the news to her.

He looked again at the last page and almost laughed at the nearly medieval formula Chad scribbled down.

At midnight, from the door take two steps back
Then turn around in the way of time.
Hear Ye, make sure your thoughts don't slack
Beware the gruesome ransom for your crime.


He set up the alarm and chuckled.
"A pike,  Jason, Chuckie?"

When the alarm fired, he counted two steps back. He gasped when the floor burst in cold flames beneath his feet then reached urgently to the table to grab Chad's revolver.

The fire forced him to turn until a whirlwind engulfed him. When it stopped, Matt almost cast his accounts. A forest of pikes jutted ominously to the sky and the sun sent down cloying spears that carried the scent of rotten flesh.

"Seize him!"

A young man, stocky of build fixed him with his green eyes. Large and expressive, they spoke determination and command.

Fear seized Matt and his revolver discharged in his foe's chest. Then recollection washed over him, and he closed his eyes. He focused his thoughts in only one direction.

He held the green gaze of his victim and spoke with resolve.
"Let's pretend this didn't happen."

Back in Chad's office, Matt googled feverishly then sighed in relief. Vlad Dracula, the green eyed man would still live to lose his head.
© Copyright 2013 Aelyah (aelyah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1921211-Determination