*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1922130-Drowning
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Other · Dark · #1922130
A very short piece written for a prompt on drowning.
She walks through the snowflakes, a figure in black against the little pinpricks of white which whip across the road. She trudges on determined, determined to get away from him, them, the voices in her head. Stopping, she raises her head to the sky and lets snowflakes melt on her full cherry lips like deceit. She lets the snowflakes kiss her face and eyes like the lover long departed. Shaking her head sadly she continues on down the road, keeping her eyes on her feet, moving forward with purpose. She reaches the waters edge, and looks out across the river, the wind whips her hair but all she has is sensation and not emotion. Staring across the black oil water, she removes her coat like the unveiling of a secret and lets it drop to the cold ground like old skin. The raw burst of air makes her skin recall and closing her eyes in desperate ecstasy she peels away her shirt and skirt until she stands naked and shivering in the moonlight.

She walks down to the shore, the pebbles scattering and rolling under her feet like children in a playground. The water comes up to meet them, caressing and bidding them welcome. She walks forwards until the water envelops her thin shoulders like a cloak. There is no fear, just a burning coldness that envelops her limbs and claims them for the water. The soft lapping against the pebbles is a lullaby, and the pull of the water a cradle, which rocks her slowly into sleep against her bodies last desperate bid for survival, bearing her away from all those things she simply couldn’t bear to feel anymore.
© Copyright 2013 Savage Orchid (savage_orchid at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1922130-Drowning