*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1922660-Im-a-Lateness-Survivor
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Young Adult · #1922660
A girl retells the time she was late to a meeting and the awkwardness that ensued.
         I've never really been able to grasp the concept of time, specifically how to manage it. The idea of arriving “late” to functions has always been a habit of mine for as long as I can remember, and unfortunately I haven’t escaped the endless gray area of lateness in favor of arriving on time, or better yet, early.
         What is “late” anyways? I honestly don’t intend to be rude when I sneak into a meeting ten minutes after it begins. I’m just simply caught up in something that is more valuable to my time. This is why I felt no remorse when I strolled into my study abroad meeting ten minutes late while wringing out my hair after getting soaked from the torrential downpour outside.
         My lateness was a misunderstanding, really. You see, I hadn't slept much the night before—maybe two hours—so I was exhausted. I thought that I would lie down for a 20 or 30 minute snooze in order to refuel my energy tank so I could accomplish the twenty-thousand other things I had to get done later that day (Perks of being a college student). However, my mini-snooze was so rudely interrupted when my friend Penelope called and frantically asked if I was attending the study abroad meeting. I’m pretty sure I mumbled some incoherent response stating that I would attend one of the other meetings later in the month. Little did I know, this meeting was mandatory if I wanted to study abroad, so when Penelope’s voice hastily relayed that crucial detail I flew out of my bed and dashed out of the door wearing a pair of half-destroyed UGG boots and a pair of dirty yoga pants. Believe me, it was not an all-star fashion moment for me. And of course it was pouring outside. Of course!
         But there I was, awkwardly maneuvering throughout the too-close-together desks in order to find a seat. Even better, the study abroad professor stopped talking and everyone turned to stare at me. I brushed off the situation as feigned discomfort, and slouched back in my chair in order to emit the sense that I couldn't give two hoots about this meeting. The professor droned on and on about some forms we had to get signed, but I was busy thinking about the nap that was robbed of me and how it would have been much more beneficial than this garbage. Right on cue, the alarm I had set earlier began to go off. It wasn't your average alarm sound either; I set my alarm to the song “Heaven” by DJ Sammy. As soon as I heard the beginning words “Baby you’re all that I want, when you’re lying here in my arms…” everyone turned to stare…yet again. And then they burst out laughing. One guy sitting behind me even joked, “What a great song choice!” I wanted to vomit, crawl into a hole, and hit my head repeatedly on the edge of my desk, but I remained cool and in control and brushed off the situation with a laugh. Even though it was a total FML moment.
         So what is the moral of this story? Well, I've definitely made more of an effort to get more sleep during the night so that I never have a nap that conflicts with a function in which I could have had an alarm set. I've also worked on getting those ridiculous forms signed (but not really). And I still have been successfully late to almost every function of my college career with no shame whatsoever. Hey, I consider myself to be on time. Everyone else is just simply early.
© Copyright 2013 Ronni Love (ronnilove at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1922660-Im-a-Lateness-Survivor