*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1923557-Lesson-2-Inside-Louisas-Head
Rated: 18+ · Assignment · Action/Adventure · #1923557
Louisa shows the reader some of the layers of her thinking
WC 2000

Lesson 2: Inside Louisa’s head

If the truth be known, Louisa almost shit when Alonso discovered her in the kitchen. It was the first time in her undercover career she'd been caught red-handed. It was however, a moment she'd been trained for. At that instant experience kicked in and she batted her eyelashes.



After fending off Alonso, Louisa drove to the rendezvous point. Simmons ran over to the Volkswagen and jerked the door open. “You came that close---“ he made a small space between his finger and thumb. “

“Relax, she said, I had it under control.”

“What happened?”

“A cup broke hitting the floor.”

"Just like that---out of the blue?"

"I brushed against the kitchen table and a cup fell off," She answered, trying to control her temper. "Is that the admission you're looking for?"

"You can't be making klutz mistakes."

"Is this a lecture?"

"Its a 'Lesson Learned,' which as your supervisor, I'm obliged to point out."

"Well it sounds like armchair quarterbacking to me."

He stiffened and she knew she'd really pissed him off.

He struggled to keep it together. "---And what happened then?'

Louisa shrugged, "I guess he thought I stayed late to suck his dick." The quip landed flat.

"Don't be cute, just tell me what happened?"

"He groped--," she paused to sanitize the words, 'my you know what---" and I told him to stop."

There was a strained silence.

“You were in serious jeopardy, young lady---."

"It’s an occupational hazard, SIR, I've been there before."

"Are we discussing the same event? Maybe we should replay the tapes!"

"Only if you got a hard on," she shot back, reverting to form.

"Need I remind you who I am--- or maybe we should review the protocols?"

Oh my God, she thought, He's gonna school me. Instead he voiced the obvious.

"This guy's a killer, Ms. Rodriguez, and don’t you ever forget it!” The lieutenant dialed a number…. “It’s Mrs. Fortuna. Tell her you just resigned.”

“Aren’t you overreacting?” she offered, knowing he'd soon regret the decision.

He turned speaking to those gathered around. "When Sanchez decouples his brain from his pecker, he's going to start asking some telling questions." Turning back to Louisa he continued. "You blew your cover Sweetheart, you’re out of the picture.”

"Did you ever consider holding onto your headphones and letting me do my job?" The words were out before she could pull them back.

He got nose to nose into her space. "We tried your way!" he snapped, 'You screwed up. Now we'll do it mine." He shoved the cell phone into her face.

She glared... "Mrs. Fortuna?"

...

It happened that Higher Headquarters sided with Louisa. Captain Meyers believed that Simmons’s decision had been premature. Despite the increased risk the Captain felt that having an operative inside the house was critical to the ongoing investigation. He told his Team Leader to get Louisa back inside.

Fate intervened when Alonso called the next afternoon inviting Louisa to dinner. As the Lieutenant listened over her shoulder, he gestured, telling her to accept the invitation. That night she got her job back. Later in the week Alonso asked for another date and she said "Yes."

There was a carnival in town. Alonso told her to wear something appropriate. She decided to wear a dress and not the usual tight skirt or slacks. The outfit was one of Louisa's favorites and made her feel feminine. He picked her up promptly at a small apartment in Old Town. As she stepped onto the sidewalk he walked around to open the door and kissed her politely on the cheek.

“I was raised, two blocks over on 21st Street” he said shutting the door. He walked around and got in on the driver’s side.

“Some of us are still here ,” she replied.

"Maybe we can do something about that, he offered." Oh my God! Am I about to be rescued by Sir Lancelot?

"Mind if I swing by our old row house and see where my Mom and Dad used to live? "

She yawned, What was it about this guy that I ever found interesting? “You’re driving…”

“You seem subdued, something wrong?”

Plenty! Why can’t you be just another thug?

“She replied, “it’s just hard to imagine you living here.”

“Well here's my old house,” he continued as they rounded the corner, “and this is the street I roamed as a kid.”

Trying to imagine Alonso as a little boy made him seem almost human.

He slowed to a crawl and craned his neck to get a good look.

"Are your parents still alive?" She asked, wanting to keep up the conversation.

“No, they’re both gone.”

Probably for the best.---Imagine finding out their son was a drug dealer “I know you miss them," she said trying to sound sincere, "Not a day passes that I don’t think about my mother."

“I miss them a whole lot. Dad died while I was still in college. Mom and Carmelita, more recently.”

"Sorry," She could tell he honestly suffered the loss. “If it bothers you, maybe I shouldn’t have brought it up."

He reached over and put his hand on her thigh. The move was sudden and startled her. He squeezed gently. Her stomach flipp-flopped and simultaneously she felt the heat of his fingertips tingle through the fabric of her dress. Louisa didn’t know whether to take his hand away or pull it down lower. She squirmed nervously in the seat. Desire whispered, You actually like it there, don’t you? A tremor passed through her lower body and lingered before passing on. She decided doing nothing, concluding that it sort of belonged there.

“I don’t mind discussing it," said Alonso. Maybe it’s a good idea to talk about our painful memories---give them some air---What’s the word, ’Cathartic?’”

Louisa slowly let out her breath, “I call it venting. Sometimes I vent, the same as you, talking about my mother. It helps get it off my chest." She felt a wetness and involuntarily her knees parted. She remembered the sensation when his hand cupped her breast. ---His lips, nibbling hers. 'STOP IT!' her conscience screamed in silence.

"Is your mother still alive?" he asked.

“No, she’s gone.” Thanks to men like you, she thought indignantly.

“What took her?”

Go ahead--- tell him! She could feel self-righteousness egging her on.

“She OD’d on Heroin.” That’ll give him something to chew on.

“Ouch!” said Alonso sympathically. “What did she do for a living?

Don’t stop now Sweetie, tell the man, the voice teased.

“She was a whore--- Classy, but not exactly a role model... At least not a role she ever wanted."

“JESUS!”

Jesus is right--- How many nights did I pray and he just wasn’t listening?

“When I was little Mom was what they call an Agency Girl. During the day we pretended she was leading a normal life.”

“Hey! People make choices, and we do what we gotta do.”

"She never had a choice. There was me and my sister to worry about."

"The real world can be an ugly place."

“Ain't that the truth. In grade school it wasn’t so bad.”

“So what happened after that?”

“She lost her looks, and ended up on the corner. I knew she was doing drugs but by that time the AIDs had her."

"What a tragic story.... Still, sounds to me like she really loved you."

"Yeah, I think she did. I could tell that deep down Mom really cared--- That she sacrificed her own happiness so that me and Lupita had a chance at something better. "

"My parents wanted the same for me. Kept pushing me to excel and make something of myself. "

"I know the feeling. Mom made me swear on the bible one night, not to follow in her footsteps.” Quit making the bitch sound like Mother Teresa, chided her her inner voice.

"You seem to be making a go of it." said Alonso, changing the subject. At the next stoplight he gave Louisa the once over.

She shifted towards him and showcased her breasts. Yeah, she thought, I’m making a go all right, putting criminals like you behind bars.--- Give it a rest, scolded her spirit.

...

They parked in a lot next to the lake. The carnival was in full swing and the boardwalk was thronged with people. Alonso paid admission and they walked through the chain link fence.

“Now Listen up, Sweetheart! No more venting. We came here to enjoy ourselves. Maybe throw some beanbags, eat a little cotton candy, and ride the Ferris Wheel. Life is too short to get caught up in all the bullshit. OK? Let me see a little smile--- there, that’s better.”

They began walking and Alonso took her hand. She felt that resonance again. She’d held hands often enough, and plenty worse, but this was different. The nagging voice whispered, He’s not as bad as you make him out. Loosen up and enjoy yourself.

Carney music was blaring from a hurdy-gurdy. From one of the attractions a man in a straw hat and cane promoted the Fat Lady and Thin Man…”Step inside and see Jack Sprat and his wife who could eat no lean.“

They continued walking and Alonso paid a dollar for three balls. He threw and missed twice. On the third try he knocked a giraffe off a pedestal. “We have a winner!” cried out the hawker and gave him the stuffed animal. He handed it proudly to Louisa. She looked happy and tossed a curl, giving him a cute smile.

Louisa found herself strangely animated, filled with an unexpected and childish delight, She clutched the giraffe to her chest. He stepped close and she caught a whiff of aftershave. It mixed well with his Old Spice deodorant.

“Look!” Alonso pulled her along, “Over here---I used to ride these as a kid.” It was called The Twirling Teacups. They climbed into one of the cups, and the operator engaged the clutch. The ride began to move this way and that. Alonso put his arm around her shoulder and his sneaky hand began teasing a breast. She leaned into it as the centrifugal force whipped them back and forth. Despite herself, Louisa began laughing and by the time the ride was over her eyes glowed.

From there they got on the Ferris Wheel and as it rode high into the night sky his hand rubbed the inside of her thigh and as it came down they both pretended innocence. Then up again as his fingers slipped beneath her dress and then down as he pulled them away. Up and down, each time touching with greater intimacy. Then it stopped on high, the gondola rocking back and forth. This time they kissed igniting a smoldering passion. Her lips opened and his tongue explored her palate. The car jerked, rocking back and forth as his touch explored the chord to her panties. Then the wheel lurched once more and began turning. Suddenly she was happy, happier than she could ever remember. Like two young kids a joy rushed into their lives as it turned faster and faster, lifting them on high and plunging downward to the ground below.

All too soon the ride ended. The wheel slowed, stopping with a jerk and the attendant lifted the bar. Alonso helped her off and their eyes met. It was like an invisible bridge, over which their spirits raced to each other’s arms. Inside her head the voice again whispered, Surprise! Surprise!

...

It was after midnight when Alonso brought her home. He could tell Louisa enjoyed herself. It had been a great evening and he was determined not to spoil it. She turned facing him on the threshold. He leaned over, put his hands on her shoulders and softly kissed her forehead. “Thank You,” he said with a note of sincere gratitude.

She’d been wondering how things were going to wind up and was tempted to ask him up to her room. The opportunity passed and he turned and walked down the stairs. There was a jaunt in his walk that she hadn’t seen before. She waved as he opened the car door and he nodded his head. What have I gotten myself into she wondered?
© Copyright 2013 percy goodfellow (trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1923557-Lesson-2-Inside-Louisas-Head