*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1923855-Squallbreak-Chapter-3
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1923855
An unexpected conversation leads Academic Ewan Squallbreak on a winding investigation.
Dr Henry George Pendefig

I glanced up at the clock of room HI-13, the hands were moving to about five past seven. I looked at the other occupants of the room. On my right sat Richards and Greenfield, whilst on my left was Archer and Blake.
“They are late.” One of them growled. I looked towards them with curiosity. It was Blake; his large well-built frame filled his chair with pure muscle. “They are the ones who called this bloody meeting and they are also the ones who are bloody late!”
Dymphna cringed at Blake’s attitude towards those who were absent.
“Be patient man. They’ll be here soon.” I barked at him.
Blake appeared to sulk at the reprimand. I leaned back in my chair. The third meeting of the academic year: but the first to be called by Ewan. If Ewan has called a meeting then it will be something interesting. When things are interesting in regards to religion and the supernatural, then they will be dangerous. It is danger that makes you feel alive, that is what I found out the few times I encountered one of Chiyara’s servants going after Ewan.
Outside the room I could hear footsteps in the corridor, not unusual even at this time in a university this busy.
The door opened briskly and Celia walked into the room, followed by Ewan. They strode purposely into the room, seating themselves either side of me. Celia reached into her shoulder bag, bringing out a sheaf of paper as well as a pen with a pot of ink. She prepared herself and settled into her chair. I let Ewan settle on my right before turning to him.
“Right you had better tell us what this meeting is all about now Ewan.” I asked him darkly.

Ewan Decimus Squallbreak

I rose from my chair, straitened my jacket before addressing the room.
“Now you are all probably wondering what this meeting is all about. Well I’ve come across something which I believe we should look into and research. Before I say what it is; there are at the moment; two different parties who want us to look into the problem which has occurred. There is also a third who may or may not be involved, I’ve yet to decide.”
I glanced quickly around the room, reading the faces of each of those seated. I reached into my pocket, removing the newspaper I had acquired from Riona, removing the page of interest and handing it to Dr Pendefig.
“Henry, could you please read the article for the room. I’ll answer any questions.”
“By all means Ewan.”
Henry graciously received the newspaper article, removing his glasses from the breast pocket and placing them on his large face. After taking a minute to focus his eyes and find the report in question he began reading the article.

Dymphna Amelia Greenfield

I listened as Dr Pendefig read the contents of the article that Mr Squallbreak had given him. I felt a chill run down my spine as the name of the ship was mentioned: the Queen Sufeila. Things had suddenly become interesting. I have only really attended the meetings in the second half of my first year at the Cragholm University. This is now the third meeting of my second year and to be honest, I do enjoy those that are led by Mr Squallbreak. Often they end up going nowhere in the end, but what he unearths in absolutely fascinating. On more than one occasion he has disappeared following a meeting along with another researcher, only to return with their findings. But as always, he makes sure to prepare for any journey by researching the area he is about to uncover. He is someone who you can come to respect very easily. Once Doctor Pendefig had finished reading, I knew that I should contribute to the meeting. But I was beaten to the mark.
“The Sufeila case? Aren’t the police still investigating what happened on-board? If that is the case then this is a no-go.”
I looked towards who had just spoken. Unusually it was Mr Archer, the most scholarly of the three researchers working under both Mr Squallbreak and Dr Pendefig; I would have expected Blake to be the one to oppose this project. As disappointed as I was about the possibility of the project not going ahead from this remark, he had a valid point. If this was being investigated by the police, what good would a branch of a university history department have in gaining access to the information required; let alone doing anything with it. It was at this moment in direct response to this question; that Mr Squallbreak spoke.
“Martin, you are absolutely correct under normal circumstances. Except these are not normal circumstances. That became apparent after I was visited by our second client. I will come back to him later. Our first client I believe is a student from the art division of this university, so on most days she should be easy to find.”
I glanced to my right, as Mr Richards made a comment that sounded like “oh goody, fresh meat.” A smile began to play across his lips.
Mr Squallbreak continued, oblivious to this remark that I found sexually degrading. “Although she does work night shifts in a mechanical works: owned by the Western Land Mass company. It is because of this, as well as her being of one of the mystic races, that she is under investigation.”
At this point I decided to interrupt. Something did not seem right; Mr Richards and Mr Blake would not agree to do this without payment. I found this out at a previous investigation; where they both walked out after being told that there would be no bonus for the extra work: not that they were lazy, both work very hard and very well from what I’ve observed, but they believe that work and value as well as cost must all be held into account.
“Who is the second client? You’ve kept us in the dark about him. You did say it was a him.”
Mr Squallbreak froze slightly with an intake of breath, before breathing out and looking at me.
“Sorry.” I said, looking down.
“Don’t worry lass; nothing to be sorry about. Well I’d best tell you who our other client is. It is someone on behalf of an organisation: an organisation you would not expect to ask for help. It was an agent from the Ministry of Supernatural Security. We said little, but it was clear that the overall Ministry of Security does not believe that the police can handle this case. As for whom this agent is, that is for me to know and for all of you to keep all your noses out of. I do trust this agent even though all security agents are untrustworthy.”
I tried to let this sink in. someone from high up in the security forces, the secret security forces at that, experts in information have asked for help from a group of university researchers. Something did not add up.
“It doesn’t add up.” Whispered Miss Arwain.
Mr Squallbreak smiled, “it may seem that way at the moment, but I believe that my visitor came for several reasons, the police seem not to be progressing as quickly as would be liked, with the possibility of either this case going unsolved; or resulting in mass arrests of those who have little to do with the crime, and are basically in the wrong job at the wrong time. Another reason is that this may not be an isolated case.”
I interrupted Mr Squallbreak at this point. “The Caerlach Mountains. That is the area the airship passed through right?”
He paused; mid-speech and looked towards me hesitantly, “yes that would be right.”
I continued, “then wouldn’t it be best for us to gain a geological perspective of the landscape that the ship passed through, if this is not an isolated case then there is possibly something in those mountains which would result in the large scale disappearances: news reports, legends old stories of demons in those mountains, raids on people passing through on foot. We have only had our current technology for one hundred years, never before have we been able to handle steam power as we have now. That I believe is the difference with this case and any other of more recent cases.”
I realised that everyone was looking at me shocked. I hadn’t contributed to a meeting like this with such vigour and will. I also realised that I was becoming more cross and upset as I put my point across. I sat down quickly in surprise, becoming silent once again. Silence from me, for fear of their reaction to my expression. Silence from the others at how forceful I had become to the subject of the Queen Sufeila airship.
And then Miss Arwain spoke.

Celia Jessica Arwain

I watched; surprised as the others when Dymphna interrupted Ewan with a clear coherent idea of what we should do to begin the investigation. I almost wrote everything down, but the expression on her face hurt me, and possibly the others too. She became more and more upset as she went on, tears of pain and frustration welled up in her eyes. Her gestures were exaggerated beyond any animation I have seen from anyone, except in one instance. I felt the silence in the room, a pressure pushing on all of us. I could feel my fur stand on end with the energy she exuded.
The thing with the Fey: is that when they are overcome by strong emotions, they quite often push them onto those around them. They do not mean to do it; it is just part of their magical nature. A problem for others around them: resulting in their power to be restricted by a total of five peroun marks.
Then I spoke, the meaning and message in my words confirmed the feeling that I had regarding the emotion pouring out from Dymphna.
“You lost someone in the Sufeila incident, didn’t you?”
I looked at the girl’s face, as she nodded forlornly in answer, at that single movement; I felt the trickle of tears fall down my cheeks. I rose slowly as she collapsed into her chair in exhaustion. I walked towards Dymphna and crouched down next to her, putting my arms around her shoulders to comfort her.
“Hush, hush. I may not know everything regarding what happened, or even understand everything that you are going through because of it. But I do know what it is like to lose someone. I also understand how you feel. If you need to talk to me, Ewan or Henry, just say. If you wish to leave for tonight, we will all understand your reasons.”
She nodded her head slowly, a calmness beginning to assert itself over her. I glanced around the room at the faces of the men around us. They all showed expressions of pain, sorrow, understanding and empathy. All, except one.
“Oh come on! What is wrong with you lot? Just because Elfie becomes emotional, we all become so wet? Look at you all. A girl starts crying because some-one’s gone missing and then you all start blubbing along with her!”
I glared dagger-eyed at Richards. No-one uses racial insults in front of me and gets away with it, is the message I intended to get across to him. Then again, I would have expected this kind of response from him anyway. As I have said before, all he is bothered about is womanising. I would also have referred to him by his first name, had any of us known it, but unfortunately that is the case.
Doctor Pendefig came to our rescue before I was able to say anything in reply.
“Come off it man! Can’t you see the girl is upset? Her revelation has affected all of us except you! It doesn’t help with you using insults like that either.”
“What? I was just calling an Elf an Elf. Oh that’s right, it is not politically correct to call them Elves anymore. They prefer the Fey or the Sylvain.”
I could feel myself getting ready to hit him. I feel that he is a horrible bully and womanising bastard. Just in the last few months he was trying to get into both mine and Dymphna’s nickers. Trying to lure us into his bed; using silvered words. Luckily I had my relationship with Ewan, although that seemed to be on and off between us for several years. Whilst Dymphna; she just resisted his words. When he tried to harass her into bed with him, he received a black eye for well over a fortnight. Since then despite harassing her several times since, he has been wary; receiving a physical injury for his attempts on most occasions which he stepped over the mark. But this time he was going too far.
It was at this point that I felt Ewan’s hand on my shoulder, holding me back.
“Oi! You should apologise now to these nice ladies and stay quiet if you don’t have anything nice to say. If that is beyond you, then get out now, before you get ripped apart.” He warned with a near growl in his voice.
Richards looked darkly at the rest of those assembled, before getting up and walking angrily out of the room.
We waited silently as we listened to Richards disappear down the corridor. Ewan sighed in relief before returning to his chair, exhaustion on his face.
“Well thank goodness that is over.” Henry Muttered conspicuously.
Ewan nodded in agreement at the statement. He paused briefly before speaking. “That incident seems to have taken a lot out of us. So this is the plan of action. It is unlikely that much more can be done tonight. We will finish our discussion civilly and take a vote as to whether we research this case ourselves to support the police.”
I agreed with this statement, as did the others in the room. However due to the loss of Richards our group was now of an even number, meaning the vote had to be unanimous for the motion to be passed.
“Well I believe that we should do it. It is an interesting proposal for us to investigate.”
We all looked towards Martin as he spoke, his earlier scepticism about the case apparently gone. He continued making his point to the rest of the room. “This is not the first case that your contact in the MSS has given us: or at least that is how I feel, there was another over the academic break as well which only I was your assistant with. I never found out who our backer for that was.”
I looked towards Ewan, slightly surprised at this revelation.
“That may or may not have been the case for that trip.” Ewan replied, disguising his bluff with a roguish smile.
Martin nodded in knowing appreciation for having his question answered.
“Anything else anyone wants to contribute?” asked Henry.
Most of the table shook their heads.
“Well we will meet tomorrow at twelve with one of our clients. I appreciate your input, all of you. I agree with Dymphna about how to tackle the research, we focus on the mountains. That is where we start, searching for everything and anything.” Ewan concluded with some surety.
I looked around those seated at the table: they all seemed to agree with this statement. Blake raised his hand to gain the attention of others.
“One last question; is there going to be an expedition or not? If so; is it going to be funded by one of our backers; or not?”
Ewan nodded in acknowledgement at this possible area of the investigation. “That depends upon our backers. But one backer is likely to pay us for that possibility, whilst the second may join us.”
Blake made a motion as if in agreement before asking, “If we decided not to go on this expedition then what would happen?”
“Well as far as I know George will definitely be staying here. I will try to get the money for your travel expense and pass it back to you as a monetary payment if that is possible. How does that sound?”
Blake lent back in his chair, pouting and nodding in satisfied agreement.
It was almost time for the vote as the majority of the group seemed satisfied with the settlement offered by Ewan. But there was one thing nagging me from earlier on. When Ewan opened the meeting he mentioned the possibility of a third person. That third individual had not been mentioned yet. That worried me. We sat in silence contemplating what had been said. As I saw Ewan begin to move to begin the voting I piped up.
“Wait. Something is missing.”
George looked at me, so did Ewan. The gaze of the others also shifted slightly.
“What the hell are you talking about?” George asked crossly.
I turned to Ewan: “Ewan, when you started this meeting you said there were three people involved in this: the student, the agent and possibly one other. Since we have had this meeting a possible fourth has appeared in the form of Dymphna. I just want to know, who the third one is.”
Ewan looked at me slightly puzzled, before it clicked. “Ah! I thought I wouldn’t mention that, but now I must. When I was having the meeting with our first client: the student, I was visited by another, erm, messenger. Weather it was a coincidence or not I cannot say, but it is possible that Chiyara may have a hand in this. I know that will put some of you off. But as I said I may have just been chance.”
The expressions on everyone’s faces froze in shock. That bitch was after him again after almost six months without any form of harassment from her messengers. That upset me: that made me cross.
“If she is involved then I say that we go ahead on this, on the condition that I go on the trip to teach her to keep her hands off!” I blurted out angrily.
Ewan was taken aback from this forcefulness from me. The rest of the room looked at me in angry support.
“So who is up for doing this in order to get rid of Chiyara?” I yelled.
Hands rose quickly around the room, with a delay from Dymphna, as she was the one with little to no experience of dealing with the messengers, followed finally by Ewan, who raised his hand with a sheepish expression on his face. I knew I was glaring at the others in the room, but many of them agreed with me.
I finally sat down, recorded the results of the vote, before leaning back in my chair and breathing out deeply.
“We seem to have had quite an emotional evening her How about a drink to cool off?” I suggested as the others looked at me in what appeared to be fear.
“Excellent.” I exclaimed quietly.
The thing about my kind and their cousins is that although we are not as supernaturally powerful as the Fey or the Peri, having only three Peroun marks, we are known to be physically powerful to the point that it does cause concern towards others.
I think on this occasion: that has worked to my advantage.
© Copyright 2013 SnowyCragrat (snowycragrat at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1923855-Squallbreak-Chapter-3