*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1924698-Heart-to-Heart-with-the-lieutenant
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Assignment · Other · #1924698
Louisa and Lt. Simmons have a heart to heart talk.
Heart to Heart Talk

When Louisa came out of her apartment the next morning she saw the surveillance van sitting across the street. She walked over and climbed in. Her team leader, Lt Simmons was sitting next to a panel crammed with surveillance gear. He turned and offered her a cup of coffee.

“You like it black I’m told, care for a donut?

She took the cup and peered into the bag. Louisa loved glazed donuts. She took a sip and it was a little cold for her taste. Still she gulped it down and swallowed. Taking a donut from the bag she took a big bite, knowing her Team Chief had come to share some words of wisdom.

“I reviewed last night’s tape and I want to make sure you understand the protocol,” he began.

She took another big bite knowing what was coming.

“Whether you realize it or not you are getting into a grey area with your target.”

“When did he become my ‘Target?’ Refresh my memory. Was that in my mission statement?’

“OK, technically he wasn’t included to begin with. Your mission was to check the layout, position the bugs and keep us informed of any unforeseen developments.”

She crushed the Styrofoam cup and tossed it into the corner. “Glad we have that clarified, unless you define Alonso as an unforeseen development.”

“’No and yes,’ He was never your Target---otherwise it would have been specified, however…”

“Yeah? “

“Who would have ever thought…?”

“…He’d start sniffing around after a ‘Plain Jane’ like me? “

“Well,’ he said, turning a little red, “at least we agree on that much--- until things changed last night.”

“Did they now?”

“You want me to play the tape…”

Oh Jesus, she said in disgust, what do you think we did up in my apartment?”

“Agent Rodreguez… I know there’s been some hick-ups in our senior subordinate relationship.”

“Hick-ups? Did you say Hick-ups?”

“You have a better word...?”

“How about 'NIGHTMARES'?”

“Whatever you choose to call it, I’ve tried to safeguard your interests to the best of my ability. In return my orders have been countermanded and you’ve taken every opportunity to make me look like a fool.”

“Don’t put that on me Lieutenant. You’ve managed quite well on your own.”

“I’ll concede that I lack both your vast experience and the reputation you enjoy as the Wonder Woman of undercover police work….”

“’Wonder Woman,’ I like that .”

“…But be advised that this case is important to me, I’m doing my damn best and I’m concerned about the welfare of everybody on the team, yourself not withstanding.”

“I don’t know what strings you pulled to get this assignment, SIR and I hope you don’t take this too personally, but you’re way in over your head.”

He remembered his conversation with Captain Meyers. His job was on the line.

“So how do I rise up and meet your expectations?”

“You can begin by quit smothering me.”

“Smothering You?’.

“Really Lieutenant, you need to spend a year or two in New York and learn what undercover police work really is. This joke, you call a surveillance, wouldn’t hold up two hours in the Bronx. Not to mention parking a SWAT team just around the corner.”

“What I do is follow the book, which is more than I can say for you.”

“You aren’t the only one who reads our book. The people we chase have it memorized. What goes down in that house isn’t half as scary as this van parked across the street. “

“How come you waited until now to share your keen operational wisdom.”

“I gave you a period of grace to find out if you knew what you were doing. I assumed you were competent until proved otherwise.

“I see…”

“My fear is that your concern is going to get me killed. Don’t take it personally but you don’t have the street sense yet to hang back and let things develop. “

“If you have that opinion, how come you’ve waited until now to share it.--- before the fact and not afterwards.”

“I tried and you weren’t listening.”

“You accuse me of “Arm Chair Quarterbacking” What the hell do you think you’re doing?”

“I’m trying to explain why this surveillance is so screwed up. It’s a huge part of your problem---, whenever anyone tries to tell you something you get all spun up.”

Reflecting back he remembered some of the conversations she was referring to. He’d wanted to prove himself and hadn’t always been open to suggestions.

“ Doing nothing is more a virtue in this business than a sin. It might be hard listening on a wire-tap but you have to restrain an impulse to hit the panic button.”

“And how long do I sit stroking my jaw before someone’s killed?

“That’s something you haven’t learned yet. They don’t teach it in Police Science at the University or the Surveillance Course at the Academy. In this business, a little bit of knowledge…. She pointed to the bank of receivers, can be a very dangerous thing--- ‘Do no harm. ’ That’s a guiding principle the support team needs to have down cold.”

“Sitting on my thumbs isn’t exactly a long suit.”

“It’s a part of the job lieutenant…. I’m the one who needs to worry about her thumbs, your job is to orchestrate from the sidelines.”

“You must realize I don’t enjoy hearing this.”

“Duh?”

“So what now?”

“That’s up to you.”

“He took a deep breath. Let’s say we try starting over?”

“Good idea, and for starters, no more wire.” She reached in her purse and dropped the zip lock plastic bag on the floor.

"And how do you propose we collect the evidence we’re going to need in court?"

“I’ll depose myself every night--- write down everything that happened. ”

“He rolled his eyes…”

“Seriously, its admissible. .. you know--- when the risk justifies it as a recourse. I got an ‘A’ in it at Quantico,” I’m a certified recording device.“

“Not quite the same as a tape.”

“How many times do I have to say it? Alonso isn’t my target! Doing my job inside the house doesn’t require a wire.”

“Ok , we’ll do it your way. No wire. Just keep your distance from Sanchez. Unless I’m deaf or stupid, you’re letting things get way too personal.”

“OK LT. And in return I promise not to compromise the investigation by fucking Mr. Sanchez. “

“….a couple more things.”

She rolled her eyes, “What Now?”

“The receivers you placed worked fine until the meeting started with the Cartel members. Then there was a buzzing sound and all we got was a bunch of static. Find out if there’s a switch box that’s the cause of all that.”

“And?”

“We know Sanchez is a big time wholesaler. He has to have a leger containing his customer accounts. We suspect its somewhere in the house although we’re working the Travel Agency angle.”

“I’ll get right on it.”

“Anything else troubling you? “ He asked

Yeah, I’ll feel better if you move the van somewhere else and send the infantry back to the barracks.

“Noted, Now watch your step and keep your head down.”

She gave him a plastic grin. “See you around boss.”
© Copyright 2013 percy goodfellow (trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1924698-Heart-to-Heart-with-the-lieutenant