*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1925817-BoneYard-BBQ
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Dark · #1925817
The scent of death is in the air for me, or is it just a Bone Yard BBQ.
It was such a cold and dark night. The chilling air drove Goosebumps through Jay's body. It was a summer darkness blanketing the whole city. The streets and roads were empty, in the middle of the road in Indiana, Jay was walking from the grocery store to his home. A banquet in those bags was a small spectacle, not much at all. wayfaring about the air, perfuming the surroundings, was the sweet aroma of hickory, BBQ sauce and meat. A scent along with the look of black smoke swirled about. A noble work of the art of back yard BBQ. About him stood out against the sickening smog of the city was a smell combating the stench. A smell so strong and rich. It smelled like Turkey, steak, hot dogs… Just so many juicy meat scents causing Jay's mouth to water. However one smell in the whole combination eluded him. 'What was that smell?' Jay thought. Jay kept walking. The smell was a cross between feces and what seemed to be a rich, strong bacterial odor as well as permeating and nauseating. The temperature that day was 85. The awful, acrid odor ruined the wonderful meat smell some how and it was very sad because he had enjoyed the BBQ scent for a while. An almost coppery, metallic component of a musky, sweet perfume… methane? The scent was nauseating and sweet, putrid and steaky… The smell was so thick and rich that he could almost taste it.

Jay gasped as he fell to the concrete loosing his bags of everyday supper and breaking his nose. Blood seeped from his nostrils as well as his mouth. It was after smelling his own blood… He had realized it had an iron and metal smell, taste of salty sweet, metallic sour and sticky… Jay realized that half of the scent he was smelling from the BBQ was blood, human blood.

Jay pulled himself up, his face now Clad in satin, sticky, and covered with blood, eyes slightly burning.

As he made his way toward the smell, Jay discarded the food. The night got darker. The dead smell was now more potent than before. He no longer smelled the sweetness of grilled meat but rather the smell of decayed, burnt flesh. Jay, in his running came across a pristine white Victorian home. Smoke billowed from behind the house. Jay ran faster around the house to the backyard where the smoke had come from. His heart began to race as he heard sizzling, becoming louder as he got closer. Then, he heard heavy, slabs of wet meat being tossed onto the grill as more sizzling could be heard. Breezes of air blew the raw stench faster towards Jay. It was so dark he couldn't see a thing,
The burning from his own blood plus the smoke did not help. Jay ran as fast as he could, getting deeper into the sweet yet metallic stink of smoke. Suddenly Jay fell over a pile of something. It didn't take him long to figure it was parts of the dead, Each piece he laid on felt like a hand or someone's face. Pain rushed over Jays body as he had kicked his leg out to try and get up only to knock something over onto him… A grill… Hot burning grease spilled over him making Jay scream. Footsteps came close, then stopped right in front of the pile of bodies, the grill and Jay. 'If I can't see him he can't see me.' Jay thought. A clammy hand grabbed Jay's body, lifting him up like a rag doll.
"Oh, more for my guests." A voice exclaimed, loudly. Then,
The man stood Jay up, still holding him by the wrist. Jay gasped as his vision cleared just a bit more. Before him sat a family of skeletal bodies just sitting, meat dripping, eyes draping from sockets. "We have a new guest for our backyard BBQ!" The man said to the lifeless party. Jay fainted but woke immediately after feeling the side of his face searing, His body bent over the bloody red grill and near by was a plate of turkey, steak, burgers and hot dogs ready to be eaten by the hungry mouths. Even closer by was a sign that read Indianapolis Morgue.
© Copyright 2013 Jay W. Eccent (jayweccent at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1925817-BoneYard-BBQ