*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1928361-Interview-with-a-Jumper
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by SuzyQ
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1928361
Police report about a seemingly crazy woman. Along the way they find she's not so crazy.
Interview with Anta Taffken by the Police of New York City.
2:42 pm, April 23, 1953.

Officer: Tell me again who you are.
Taffken: My name is Eris Taffken. I am 23 years old, and I am a jumper.
Officer: A Jumper.
Taffken: Yes. I can jump between time and space.
Officer laughs: Really. Are you sure you’re not just some crazy woman that’s in need of attention?
Taffken: I’m quite sure. I have no need for your or anyone else’s attention.
Officer: Alright, I’ll bite. What are you here for?
Taffken: To save the world.
Officer: From what?
Taffken: From planetary destruction.
Officer: Why do you have to save the world? Couldn’t say… a man save it just as well?
Taffken: No, it has to be me.
Officer: Why?
Taffken: Because I’ve already saved it.
Officer: What do you mean?
Taffken: I come from the year 2165. I am in the history books as the woman who saved the world. So, with that said, it has to be me to save the world. You do not change a fixed point in time.
Officer: Wouldn’t you say the end of the world is a fixed point in time?
Taffken: Nope.
Officer: Why not?
Taffken: We just went through this. I save it. Therefore, it is not a fixed point in time. I am!
Officer: What are you saving the world from?
Taffken: It’s a what, it’s a who. Jonathon Norris. Also known as Denarius. He has been in league with a terrorist group called the League. They want the world to become all white people.
Officer scoffs: Is that a bad thing?
Taffken: Yes. Diversity is one of many ways to show our uniqueness. My husband was half African, half Asian. He was the sweetest man I have ever known.
Officer: Wait a minute, you’re married? To an African man?
Taffken: I was. He died recently. He got caught up in the remnants of a supernova turned black hole.
Officer: okay, that doesn’t make any sense.
Taffken: It doesn’t to you. Your people in this age cannot hope to understand the immense need for diversity in the future. But that is beside the point. It’s not just the people that are different from them that they are going to kill. They are going to kill everyone on this planet if I don’t get to him. And I do mean everyone. Not a single ant will live after this.
Officer: How exactly are they planning on killing everyone?
Taffken: you’ve heard of the nuclear bomb that was dumped on Japan by President Truman, right?
Officer: Lady, everyone’s heard of that bomb.
Taffken: these people have somehow built one of their own. I’m not entirely surprised, Jonathon Norris is incredibly rich. And has very many connections. He could get anything with one quick call.
Officer: How do I know that you’re not some crazy psycho that just escaped from the loony bin.
Taffken sighs: I don’t have time for this.
Taffken hits watch button on left hand and disappears.
Officer: What the hell? Where’d she go?
© Copyright 2013 SuzyQ (suzyq1234 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1928361-Interview-with-a-Jumper