*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1930285-Surprise
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest · #1930285
My entry for the Writer's Cramp 4/23/13
Spencer was looking a little green from her vantage point.  He stood at the front of the church, and she at the back.  The organ was winding up for her big entrance.  Spencer saw her and smiled, then doubled over. The priest practically shoved him off the stairs leading to the altar.  Kyle hauled him away.
 
The retching sounds echoed in the church and the organ stopped.  From all the way in the back, she could hear the splat of vomit hitting something one, two, three times.  She hoped it wasn't the carpet.  With each retch, the people seated in the pews winced.  The last was followed by a very loud, “Dude, how much did I drink last night?”  Kyle’s attempts to silence him were drowned by the polite laughter of two hundred and fifty guests.

Carrie wanted to run, but she remained planted.  It was more shock than bravery that kept her there.  She tightened her grip on her father’s arm and took a deep breath.  The next few minutes felt like an eternity.  She stayed firm and put on her best sweet smile to greet the nervous over the shoulder glances.

If she could have seen them she would have discovered Spencer had chosen the best man to be his best man.  Kyle had planned for the worst, even remembering to prop open the side door and tuck a small bottle of mouthwash in his pocket, right next to the ring.  He pulled the door shut and ushered Spencer back to the front of the church.  They passed by the ushers, wiping away the guilt and leaving relief on each man’s face in their wake.

Carrie saw him return.  He looked good.  He stood straight and gave her the thumbs up.  The church expanded at the sides with the collective sigh of everyone there.  The organ music resumed and she made her procession up the aisle.  She gave him a little glare when she made it to his side.  He smiled as if to say “What can you do?”  She could never stay mad at him for long.

The rest of the ceremony went just as she had dreamed.  She felt triumphant when they walked down the aisle. At the back of the church, she pulled him into the private room she had used to get dressed.  She wanted him alone for a few minutes, knowing she would have to share him with everyone until tonight.

“Are you okay now, honey?” Her concern was genuine.  There was no edge to her voice, just a little conspiratorial humor.
“Yeah…I am so sorry, honey.  I guess we got a little wild last night.”  He pulled her in tight and kissed her.  He regretted it instantly.  He couldn't hide the pain, winced and pulled away.

“What…what is it?  Honey, are you hurt?”  She couldn't hide the rising panic.  Her imagination looked like a scene from The Hangover meets Bachelor Party.

He resigned himself to the inevitable.  “I might as well show you this now.  I am so sorry, baby.  Please don’t hate me.”  He unbuttoned his dress shirt, pulled it open and lifted his white t-shirt.  He cringed as it peeled away from his skin. 

The first time she saw it, she couldn't believe her eyes.  Looking back at her from her new husband’s chest was her sister – naked.  The tattoo stretched from his heart to his navel and it showed her sister in all her glory.

Her hands went to face in horror.  “Oh my God…what have you done?  How…? Why do you have a picture of Melanie tattooed on your chest?”  Her voice rose in tone and volume with every word.  By the end she was screaming. “And why is she naked?!” 

His face and body crumpled in shame.  “I don’t know…I mean, I know how I got the tattoo.  We were drinking and somebody said we should get a tattoo.  So, we went.”

“And the best idea you could come up with was a naked picture of my sister?” She was spitting mad.

“No…no!  I showed the guy a picture of you.  You, that favorite one of you.”  He fumbled with his phone, scrolling for the right one.  He showed it to her.  “This one!  This is the one I wanted.”  It was a nice picture of her.

He stammered on.  “I remember everyone was taking out their phones and looking at pictures.  I guess John must have a naked picture of Melanie.”  He paused, searching for an explanation.  He went with the best he could muster.  “I guess the tattoo guy got confused.” 

There was a knock at the door.  Without thinking, she walked over and pulled it open.  Her sister looked back at her. “Is everything ok in there?”

She looked back at her husband, whose chest was still hanging out.  She had to admit, the resemblance was uncanny.  “Button up, honey.  We have a big day ahead of us.”  She headed for the door.  She paused and turned back to him.

“Hey, do you remember where you got that?”  She pointed at his mid-section. “He does great work.  I think I might get one.”
© Copyright 2013 AbbyReed (abre782 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1930285-Surprise