*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1930429-One-Last-Breath
Rated: E · Other · History · #1930429
Nora Flemming was an Irish woman that was on the Titanic, this is her story.
April 10th, 1912
Nora had never seen a ship so large before: the Titanic. It was said to be unsinkable, and at first glance she believed it. As she mounted the ship, she felt the soft current of the ocean beneath her. Soon she would be with her sister in New York. Leaving Ireland was one of the hardest things for her, she would miss her family. But New York promised freedom and a new life. She crossed the ship feeling the cool wind blow her dark hair back. She inhaled deeply taking in the smell of salt water and fish. She quickly went below deck, where all of the other third class passengers were.
She was greeted by a couple and there children, they were to be sharing a room. She smiled at the children, and the youngest smiled back. She walked past them, to put away her things. She wrapped her hair around itself and tied a ribbon around it, then she headed towards the kitchen. She met a whole bunch of lovely ladies, the sea sickness had already started to take its toll. So she thought back to her mother and she decided to go with the best kind of medicine: songs. Irish songs were sang out loud, filling the room. Many of the people got up and started dancing. When she went to bed all she could think about was the room full of laughter.

April 11th, 1912
The smell of cologne filled Nora's nostrils. She opened her eyes to find a handsome man staring back at her. He had piercing blue eyes, and hair like a raven's wing. He gave her a smirk, and her heart fluttered. She jumped out of the bed, immediatley regretting the decision because all she was wearing was her nightgown. Mystified she yanked the blanket from its rightful place and wrapped it around her body. As she turned to look at him, she saw an amused look across his face. This man must of had some nerve, coming in here unannounced. He held out his hand towards her and she took it, that's when the introductions began.
"Hello my name is Joseph Davies."
"Nora, Nora Flemming."
He had a grin on his face and she still wondered what he was doing here. He noticed this and gave a sheepish look.
"I'm close with the kids."
As if that explained anything? She nodded and started to get dressed, behind a door. Once she was finished she noticed he was still here. She shook her head and started towards the kitchen once again, but this time he followed her. She whipped around and he held up his hands in surrender. She couldn't help but giggle at this. He was a very attractive man, she felt a sudden urge to brush back his hair, but at the last minute thought against it. She turned back around and he kept following her, once she entered the atmosphere of the kitchen, she grinned and she began to sing. She watched as the people started to dance around her, Joseph grabbed her hand and twirled her in a circle. They began to dance to her voice as it flowed around the room. When she hit the last note, Joseph stared into her eyes, and he brushed back a piece of her hair and gently planted a kiss on her lips.
That night they stared into each other's eyes and looked up at the stars. He new all of the constellations by heart it seemed. At that moment Nora felt a happiness surge inside of her, one she had never felt before.

April 13th, 1912
When Joseph told Nora he wanted her to meet his brothers she wanted to refuse. What if they didn't like her? At first glance his two brothers Alfred and John looked like twins. They even acted like it. She spent the day with them, and at the end of if her face hurt from smiling so much.

April 14th, 1912
Nora was greeted with a note when she woke up. With each word she read the smile on her face grew. She threw on a dress and brushed out her hair, then she ran towards the upper deck. She saw him, the wind making his hair blow back, he was staring intently at something in the water. As she approached he turned and gave her a smile. He took her hand and led her to the back of the ship. The first class passengers eyed them, some giving them disdaining looks. He ignored them, and even waved to some of them. Nora laughed all the way, her heart filling with love. He stopped at a blanket that had been laid out across the deck. Their was a small basket on the edge of it. He brought her down, so she was sitting on the blanket. Then he layed a soft peck on her lips, turning back he grabbed some of the items from the basket and it made her smile even more. A lunch outside next to the man she was falling in love with. What could be better?
"So what do you want to do once you reach America?"
The question had been weighing in her mind since she met Joseph Davies. What would she do?
"Well I was suppose to be with my sister in New York, but I feel that my heart might be else where." She replied giving him a glance. He nodded taking this in.
"Well I was suppose to be going to Pontiac, Michigan with my brothers, but I feel that my heart isn't in it."
They looked at each other then, and Nora leaned over and kissed him softly at first, passion erupted and the kiss deepened, by the time it was finished they were both breathing heavy. It was then when he whispered against her lips: "Happy birthday Nora." They kissed each other goodnight one last time before they headed to bed.
Nora was dreaming of running through a field of flowers and meeting Joseph on the other end. Her dream came to a sudden halt when she was shaken awake.
"Nora wake up!" The young child screamed. Her eyes flashed open and she jumped out of bed. The news had reached her: The Titanic had hit an ice berg.

April 15th, 1912
She ran towards the room where Joseph was staying. He met her halfway, and they kissed quickly. They tried to go up to the upper deck, but they were greeted with gates, closing them off. Joseph screamed up at the man who had locked them up tight, but it was no use he was not going to let them up. So he took Nora's hand and he led her to one of the other doors. They ran up to the chaos. The upperclass were screaming as well as the lower class. Many were boarding the life boats. Norah tried to get on with Joseph but they said only children and women were allowed. As she saw a similar seen happening from one of the other women she recongnized as Mrs. Daniel Warner Marvin " "As I was put into the boat, he cried to me, ‘It’s all right, little girl. You go. I will stay.’ As our boat shoved off he threw me a kiss, and that was the last I saw of him."(http://library.thinkquest.org/18626/NStories.html). Then she saw the youngest from her cabin, she ran towards her and threw her onto the boat, she kissed to sobbing girl's head and ran back to Joseph. The boat began to sink, it lifted towards the air air down it went. She was slipping, The deck was now at a straight up and down angle. She tried to hold on but slipped from the bars. She fell down down down. When she hit the water, she yelped. It chilled her to the bone, she started shivering uncontrollably. Where was Joseph? She felt a tug on her hand, and she looked over seeing Joseph. She kissed him once more. Feeling her muscles stop working, she began to sink.
"Nora! Damn it!" Joseph screamed. He pulled her back up, and towards a floating piece of luggage. The cold was becoming unbearable, neither of them could feel their bodies. Joseph looked into her eyes and kissed her. Then they both slipped off the small suitcase. They fell down, Joseph reached for Nora and he found her. They held hands for what seemed like a while, when Nora tried to take a breath she was greeted with a mouth of salt water. She let go of Joseph's hand and tried to swim upword but her muscles froze and she felt like floating their forever, she had taken her last breath.


All of these characters are actual ones that passed away on the Titanic. This story is historical fiction, but the story of Nora Flemming is true about going to New York, Singing, and coming from Ireland. The story of Joseph Davies is true as well about going to Michigan and having two brothers named John and Alfred. Both of them parished that night, and both were lost at sea.
© Copyright 2013 Peyton Cooper (15stephest at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1930429-One-Last-Breath