*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1930552-Prompt-writing
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1930552
used promt of Shadows on a blind reveal a crime being committed.
The new neighbors had just moved in last week and I had yet to really meet them with how busy I had been. Some days I wished I had a job where I wasn't on call during the weekends and could really enjoy my time off. This weekend though I had put the request in weeks ago to have off so I could recoup and relax. I had about fifteen more minutes before the pizza was going to be here which left me plenty of time to get a drink ready and a movie.

Most of my friends would say I was being antisocial by staying in on a Friday night, but when you deal with people all day long sometimes a person just needs to have a quiet evening alone. Sitting down in my comfy lazy boy recliner I dimmed my lights and turned on my TV. I hoped that an hour of watching the newest action movie would let me just forget about my world and my problems.

Ten minutes later the doorbell rang and my stomach growled at the thought of the pizza and bread sticks I had ordered.

“Hello delivery for May Camp. A personal pizza and order of bread sticks” the young teenage delivery boy said. “It will be 15.95 for this.”
I grabbed the change out of my jean pocket and did the quick exchange. No sooner had I handed him the money and got my box of food he was off into his car. I rolled my eyes at his choice of blaring music and turned to go back inside my cozy get away I had made. But something caught the my eye at my neighbors that made me turn around.
Looking over there I realized that all their blinds were down but with how brightly light their house was against the dark sky you could see their shadows with out any problem. I saw them moving around and brushed off the nagging feeling I suddenly felt in my gut. They are probably just unpacking still and that’s all that caught my attention.

I was about half way into my movie, the main character was saving the main female star. You know the normal plot to most movies. When I thought I heard a loud scream and a crash. Quickly I reached for my remote and turned the movie down some and listened. Holding my breath I realized that I was starting to shake and that there was no sounds other then my now pounding heart beat. I let out a deep whoosh of air and relaxed. Figured now was a good time to go and and refill my drink.

My house isn’t that big and would probably be perfect for most people with no kids or spouse. It's rooms were just big enough to hold the essentials one would need per room. My living room connected to the kitchen or the hallway to the bathroom and bedroom. I hadn't realized till walked to the kitchen how many windows I had that I could see into either my neighbors yard or house. I got me some ice and more pop and headed back to the living room gazing off and on at the neighbors house.

It was definitely bigger then mine. Two story house that had been one time a bright plum colored siding that was now a dusty light purple in color due to the sun and weather. Their front porch was enclosed unlike mine which really was just a small landing to step out of the rain before walking into the house. I saw that they still had on all their lights but most of the movement seemed to be contained their kitchen and living area. I had just started towards my oh so comfy chair when I saw a shadow that looked like it was carrying a big knife in a way that looked more defensive then one would be in the kitchen. I sat my drink down and walked closer to my window to try to see better. Maybe I was just looking more into this and it was truly innocent movement. Then I heard a scream. Not just any scream, but a scream that made my hair rise on my arms and made my heart pound in my ears.
I moved to the side so no one could see me just standing at my window and watched closer to my new neighbors house. Something was not right and at this point I knew if I turned away now the not knowing would eat at me.
The shadow with the knife like item moved toward the living room. I quickly looked that way and saw another shadow and this one was holding something that looked like a baseball bat. This was not good, not good at all. But at this point if I called it in there was nothing to go on but a scream and shadows moving around.
Steadying my breath I leaned against the window frame and watched this whole scary thing unfold. The kitchen figured moved slowly and steady to the living room, while the living room figure started swinging the baseball bat back and forth. Reminded me almost of them waiting to hit a ball that was going to be thrown at them.
Then what seemed like slow motion the kitchen figure went out of view from the kitchen window. The living room figure started swinging the bat up high and fast as thought they were trying to defend themselves. Then two figures where in the living room, one being the kitchen knife holding figure and the one that had been in the living room with the bat. They went after each other and soon there were dark flecks here and there being shadowed on the blinds.
Now for my job it was nothing for me to come into the after math of a fight or something illegal and see blood and gore. I was use to seeing the remains of the fight and how people looked after. But to actually see something that I knew was horrible and wrong in front of me made me sick to my stomach. My knees were so weak I thought I'd collapse if I moved. I could barley breath and my heart was pounding in my ears. I knew I had to call the police, there was no doubt of that. It was just making my body work right to make the call.
I patted my jean pockets trying to see if I had stuck my cell phone in my pocket or if it was still in my purse. I realized after a few seconds that I didn't have it on me. I slowly moved away from the window and grabbed my purse and dumped everything out to quickly find my phone. I punched 911 in and tried to find my voice.
“This is Mae Camp at 1908 West Citidal road. I believe my neighbors at 1906 west citidal are fighting to the point of seriously injuring each other, I have heard screams and now seen their shadows attacking each other.”
“Mae this is Judy, I will send one of our boys out that way. Please stay on the line.
“thanks Judy.” I exhaled realizing I had been holding in my breath. At least I knew the majority of the task force. Though I wondered who would be contacted to do the emergency counseling for me since that was my job.
“Mae, I have two cars on their way over. Are you OK and do your neighbors know you have seen anything? DO you feel you are in danger?”
“No Judy I doubt they saw me as I had my lights dimmed watching movie. I just happened to see them when I went to get a drink after I thought I heard a scream.”
“OK Mae just hang tight with me on the line someone should be there in a few minutes.” Judy kept her voice almost monotone but it seemed to soothe my nerves.
Not more then two minutes after pressing send did I see two cop cars pull up on the side of the road. One set of cops went to my neighbors the other set to my door.
I barley got to the door and opened it when I heard the officers yelling and the two at my door went running to assist. Standing there I watched as the officers chased and tackled a large male with a butcher knife in the front yard. I waited for what was only a few seconds but seemed like an hour as one of the four cops came out of the house helping a female walk. From the looks of it the neighbors had definitely been all out attacking each other. Had I not called this in, I realized that maybe my weekend off would have consisted with crime scene next door all weekend.

I slowly walked back inside, leaving my door open for the officers to come in and talk to me. I sat down slowly in my lazy-boy and closed my eyes. I needed to just take a vacation away from here next time I have time off. I wanted to watch an action movie tonight on TV not see one take place next door. Oh well Monday will be interesting when I go to work for sure now.
© Copyright 2013 MommaSparks (lynseyisme83 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1930552-Prompt-writing