*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1930864-DVS-Entry-Story
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1930864
This is a story that goes for some art on another website
Spring was fully here, and it was once more show season. Kaity had purposely selected one show for her two eventers before their big show at Yawarda. She was also showing Catcher, and was bring Coyote along for a halter class to continue her show experience lessons. The two stallions were being entered in show jumping and dressage only, to get their minds back on their main events, though everything was going to be pretty spread out.

After arriving at Dragon’s Vine, Kaity and Alexi soon had the horses untrailered and settled. The two stallions were separated from her mares, placed with other mares and geldings. Fame was vocal as ever about being with stallions, and banged a few times at the door of his stall, but settled down pretty quickly. Apparently he was finally learning how to travel.

Day one for them was show jumping. The morning started out cloudy and a bit cool, the breeze coming off the ocean even colder. Kaity was not pleased with the cool weather, and made sure to put extra effort into currying the boys in order to get a little bit of heat. Alexi helped tack up, but soon left to tack up Catcher. Instead of making the mares sit around, and make Alexi work all the time, Kaity had told the teenage girl to take Catcher and Coyote to the waves for some fun before their events.

The girl quickly had Catcher tacked, then put a lead and halter on Coyote, leading the black mare and growing bay out of the barns. Catcher perked at the activity and started to try and push forward, waving her tail a bit and prancing on her toes. She didn’t appreciate the bit in her mouth telling her to slow down at all, and continued to prance and jog. Coyote picked up on Catcher’s energy, but stayed far away, unwilling to get in the black’s way. After much pushing, Alexi finally had the pair further from the show grounds, and was able to mount up on Catcher. The mare continued to act up, confused as to why she was being led away from the show grounds and other horses.

Finally, they were on the beach. Instantly, both mares froze, nostrils flaring, ears pointed at the waves. Catcher was the first one over it, blowing out and lowering her head to check out the sand before walking forward. She continued to jig, now more to keep from sinking in the deeper sand than anything. Coyote followed the more experienced mare, keeping her eyes on those moving monsters, her body close to Catcher, just in case. It did take a bit longer to get the bay near the water though. Where Catcher walked right into the shallows, apparently enjoying how much she could splash the higher she stepped, Coyote wanted nothing to do with it, stretching Alexi out a bit as she tried to hold onto the lead. After a good fifteen minutes, the mare came forward enough to tap at the lapping water, and was finally encouraged in. She never did enjoy it as much as Catcher did, however, but allowed herself to be led around the shallows up and down the shoreline.

Meanwhile, Kaity had her two stallions groomed to perfection, waiting their turn. This time, it was Fame going up first. Kaity preferred to have Legend go first normally. The stallion was a pro at stadium jumping, with a natural ability to get to where he needed to get. It allowed her to scope out the course a bit better for Fame, who liked to try and rush and needed more guidance, just a bit too hot for the close confines of the arena. But, there wasn’t much she could do, and she was soon leading the strong chestnut to the arena, mounting up for a small warm up before entering the ring.

Kaity had little time after Fame’s round to prep her black horse. The stallion strode out effortlessly, already eyeing the jumps in the other ring. When they were called up, Kaity circled then let the stallion do what he needed, giving him only the slightest guidance to keep the big boy happy. Once finished, Kaity patted his neck, and walked out, pleased with both her boys’ performances. They had worked hard all winter, and it was showing. They had one more test, but Kaity was starting to feel truly confidant for Yawarda.

She got back to the barn right about the time Alexi was returning with the mares. After a good rinse down and grooming for Fame and Legend, and a bath for Catcher and Coyote to get the salt out, the four were left with large piles of hay, until the next morning.
Because day 2 was the racing day, Kaity just used it to school the horses. Coyote got a good lunging session with Alexi. The mare was coming along well, and was ground driving very impressively. Throughout the day, Kaity rode the other three, doing light work mostly designed to just stretch their muscles and give them something to do. In between, they were grazed by Alexi, after Coyote was finished.
The third day was Coyote’s day to shine. The still growing Thoroughbred mare was brought out and groomed to perfection. She was a bit fidgety, and her habit of needing to sniff or bite the brush increased, but she stayed largely still and, though alert, was calm. Finally, show time. The mare walked calmly by Kaity, if not crowding just a bit, her nostrils flared, ears perked. As they entered the ring, she turned her head to the audience for a bit before dutifully following Kaity, setting up properly and starting to calm down again. She had been in an environment like this before, this was nothing…

As the judge looked her over, Coyote stood still, but kept an eye and ear on him at all times. Upon being asked to walk, she did so dutifully, producing a lovely, flowing trot and arching her neck just a bit before returning to her position. She still wasn’t one hundred percent okay with the crowds, but Kaity was pleased with how she acted, and the young mare was given a good grooming and long grazing session in reward.
The third day was their busiest day. Catcher was finally going to get her time to show, and Legend and Fame were getting their final test. Alexi and Kaity were busy early in the morning, grooming the three horses and tacking them up. Their order was Fame, Legend, and then Catcher. The red stallion chewed on his bit as they waited, seemingly already a bit agitated, anticipating the flat, boring dressage he was about to be asked to perform.  They were finally able to enter the ring, and Kaity pushed the fiery stallion into a large trot around the dressage set up, anticipating the bell. She pushed and slowed the stallion throughout the test, sensing his agitation but encouraging it none the less. The stallion performed admirably, bending and moving out well, though never quite relaxing completely. Still, he was animated and was rounded, clearly listening, and they pulled out a decent performance none the less.

Kaity barely had time to breathe before she was mounting Legend and bringing him into the arena. The stallion was much more willing to settle into dressage, and was over all calm during their test. What he lacked in animation he made up for in correctness: no one could correct his responses to cues, the text book and quiet lead changes, even the position of his head on the bit. He did what was asked as if it was nothing, further proving to Kaity that he was still in shape and ready for his big event.

Lastly was Catcher. She was clearly still picking up on the energy of the crowd, and was ready to go, hot under hand and to any subtle cue Kaity gave her. As they entered the ring to trot around the outskirts, the mare turned her head to the crowd, collecting herself even more, as if to show off. Kaity felt it an instant before she actually did, but, suddenly, the mare just exploded, bolting off around half of the arena before allowing herself to be brought back to a trot. Taking a firmer grip with body and reins, Kaity heard the bell and started the test. About half way through she started to relax. The mare was showing off for the crowd, listening to cues but adding her own flair, emphasizing her leg action, strength, still ready to bolt off, but elegant and gorgeous to watch. They finished their test, and with their final salute, Kaity had her largest smile of the day on her face. As they walked out, Catcher turned her snipped muzzle to the crowd and called out, as if responding to the applause she had earned.
© Copyright 2013 Farmer's Daughter (southernkate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1930864-DVS-Entry-Story