*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1933024-Chapter-3-The-Basilisks-Rough-Draft
Rated: 13+ · Other · Fantasy · #1933024
This one's kind of short but I hope you like it!
         “Everyone get up! Now!” Sir Jordy screamed.
         Zach and Michael stirred in their sleep, still half-way slumbering.
         “This is an emergency! Get up!” Sir Jordy screamed again.
         With that second yell Zach was fully awake. “Michael, get up! Something’s happening!” He shook Michael awake and once awake he jumped to his feet and the ran outside.
         Outside they saw Sir Jordy and three other knights arranged in a circle, back-to-back, swords drawn. Knights lay around the camp injured, some dead!
         “Sir Jordy, what’s going on?” Zach asked beginning to walk towards Sir Jordy and his circle of knights, but was stopped by Michael’s arm. “Michael, what are you doing?”
         “Don’t move,” Michael warned, “they’re everywhere.”
         “What are you talking about? What’s everywhere?”
         Michael grabbed his sword from its sheath and charged into the camp, lashing out at an unseen foe. He thrust his sword into an invisible enemy, killing it, and with its death its true form was revealed.
         Michael pulled his sword out of the creature’s head and out of nowhere appeared a large, green serpent with scales like daggers. It wielded a long, primitive spear with a stone with a sharp tip and jagged edges tied to the end of it.
         “Michael, you can see these things?!” Sir Jordy yelled.
         “Yeah!” He yelled back. “Look out!”
         Before the knights could react one of them was stabbed in the back with one of the creatures’ spears. He let out a horrendous scream and fell to the ground.
         “Jacob!” Sir Jordy screamed.
         Sir Jordy them attempted to swing at the creature. He swung once, missed. He swung again, and again he missed. With his third swing he managed to slice across the creature’s back, putting it in a weakened state. Also, with the would he notice that the creature became slightly more visible.
         It quickly regained it’s strength though couldn’t  regenerate its camouflage. It darted for the cover of the trees. Zach, seeing the creature fleeing, grabbed a sword off a nearby rack and charged at the creature.
         “YYYYY-ARGH!” Zach cried as he ran at the creature stabbing into its head, twisting the sword after impaling it.
         At this point the creature’s camouflage was completely gone and it was dead. Zach was surprised at himself, so were the knights. He’d never held a sword in his life, yet here he had just killed a gigantic, murderous lizard.
         Zach looked to see Michael lashing out at another of the creatures. Zach pulled his sword out of the recently killed lizard’s head and ran to assist Michael.
         Zach approached Michael, who had just killed the creature. “We have to get out of here!” Michael announced.
         “What? We can’t just abandon these injured knights!” Sir Jordy said objectively.
         “What’s going on?” Josh yelled running towards them, Chad following close behind.
         “We’re under attack. I need you two to help us get as many of the injured out of here as possible. Leave the-”
         “-look out!” Michael frantically interrupted, jumping past Josh to slice into one of the creatures that had been pouncing towards him. “We have to move! Basilisks typically travel in very large groups!”
         “Basilisks.” Sir Jordy repeated. “Damn it! Aaron, Jordan, grab Jacob!”
         “He’s dead!” The two stated in unison.
         “Just grab him! Josh, Chad, help Caine!”
         They did so, and they all made a break up the mountain path. As they left Zach noticed something, or someone, standing amongst the trees. He couldn’t get a good glimpse of it. All he noticed was a dark figure in the forest.
         Looking back at the camp, Michael saw countless basilisks tearing their camp to pieces. Tearing their tents to pieces. Feasting on the bodies of dead, and some not so dead, comrades. He couldn’t handle it, he had to look away.
© Copyright 2013 Marcus Brodie (galdoraan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1933024-Chapter-3-The-Basilisks-Rough-Draft