*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1933498-A-Different-Kind-of-Cavalry
Rated: E · Other · Fantasy · #1933498
Unskilled soldier is transferred to a cavalry unit, but not the kind of cavalry he thinks.
"Things are about to change for you, boy."

Chase fidgeted with his sword belt as he waited for his Captain to continue.

"You've been transferred to another unit."

Chase blinked in surprise. "Transferred?"

The Captain nodded. "Cavalry. Your asinine antics the other day with the King's horse impressed Captain Blane. And we're in desperate need of riders. So, instead of being disciplined as you should be, you'll be joining their ranks."

There was a tone of anger in the Captain's voice, but Chase couldn't hear it over his confidence boost. He'd never been a proper swordsman if his constant blunders and lack of skill were any indication. Becoming a part of the cavalry had been something more up his alley, but his Captain had insisted on molding him into a swordsman.

"Blane is waiting for you now at the stables behind the castle. You may go."

Chase took his leave from the Captain's quarters. Coming around the castle, he spotted Captain Blane waiting for him at the large, enclosed stables. The man was as big as a mountain.

Stopping before him, Chase gave an awkward salute ."Chase Blackthorn, reporting for--"

"Save the formalities, kid." Captain Blane cut him off. "We ain't got time. I gotta train you to ride in a month."

Chase was confused. "But I thought you were already impressed with my horsemanship?"

Blane offered a grin. "And what makes you think you'll be riding a horse?"

Chase frowned. "But I thought--"

"Forget what you thought. This is what you'll be riding." Blane turned to the wooden stable doors and threw them open.

Chase peered inside. His jaw dropped.

Several harnessed and muzzled black dragons, twice the size of any horse Chase had ever ridden, peered back with cold, reptilian scrutiny.

So much for confidence.















© Copyright 2013 SharotheFantasyWriter (sharo52984 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1933498-A-Different-Kind-of-Cavalry