*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1935110-A-Game-of-Fitz--Mouse
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1935110
A short story featuring a giant mouse in a small Edinburgh flat
Fitz
Raindrops cracked against the soft plastic windows of Fitz’s small four walled room. The foul smell he’d driven deep into the soul of his bed was something he only knew about through the wincing faces of anyone foolish or arrogant enough to enter, he could vaguely smell it once in a while but it never had any real effect.
His day began under stuttering stars, lazing on their bed of darkness; he checked his clock, only to find his clock was broken. He fell into some unwashed yet unstained trousers (underpants not necessary) then crushed his feet into some shoes (socks not necessary) his feet felt raw after so many days sockless shoe wearing. There was some toast he’d left on the table the day before, he didn’t eat it –I’m not an animal- he said sagely whilst nodding his head in smug agreement with himself. Something slammed heavily against his door, opening that door invited the carcasses of both Ben and Holly to greet his floorboards; meanwhile, something dark and huge scurried into the living room.
Fitz moved timidly out into the hallway to catch a glimpse of the beast. He saw, perched on hind legs with both front claws resting on a blood drenched sofa then, turning two clear red eyes towards him unsheathed two of its fractured teeth, Fitz didn’t know what to do so he instinctively took off one of his shoes to throw. Instead of throwing the shoe he sank back into his room, trying desperately to shut the door behind him, he slammed it repeatedly against Ben and Holly’s legs. -Jaysus! - He warbled, scrambling on the floor to move them out the way. He heard the creature edge haltingly towards the hallway; those eyes turned the corner and pierced his heart for a second time. He searched his cupboard frantically for anything he could use to destroy the mouse, finding the most dangerous object in his possession to be a big book of quotes with a highlight mark around the words ‘I don’t like quote books, just tell me what you know’ he winced at the sight of it.

The Mouse
-Just one more to go and my family will finally be avenged- The mouse remembered fondly the smiling faces of her children and practiced staring menacingly at the floor. The ginger-haired flat face was hidden away somewhere, HOW that limp human had managed to destroy the beautifully erratic life-force of a mouse became more infuriating everytime she thought about it. Snarling and foaming, she launched herself in full at a door at the end of the hall and began to chew through the wood, one head-butt and the door was broken open, the last human stood behind it with a quivering face and a book. The book struck the mouse on the nose; jets of blood were propelled through the air onto the human, being decorated in the blood of its enemy morphed the human into a beast; the mouse had a begrudging respect, which meant the human would not be allowed to die quickly and painlessly.
There was a chill in the air as human and mouse stared each other down with cold eyes fixed on colder eyes. Thuds from the floors below theirs could be heard, the mouse could feel her own heartbeat pounding away through her teeth. Just as their Mexican standoff reached its limit for intensity, the human ran and jumped comically through an unopened window. The mouse peered down into the crisp darkness of a lamp lit street and saw the human mangled and bloodied, circled by a halo of broken glass on harsh concrete, no longer a threat to the world of mice.

The Jinn
An enormous transparent figure emerged from Fitz’s corpse the next evening, illuminated by wisps of blue smoke. – I AM THE GENIE, I’VE BEEN ENCASED WITHIN THE ONE YOU CALL FITZ FOR 23 YEARS AND NOW I AM FREE. – The jinn boomed. Then it flew off into the sunset.
© Copyright 2013 Billy Madigan (bilbobaggins68 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1935110-A-Game-of-Fitz--Mouse