*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1935678-Static-or--music--what-do-you-hear
by MrsJ
Rated: E · Short Story · Inspirational · #1935678
True Story Lesson from my childhood
When I was a little girl circumstances made it necessary for my mother , my twin sister and brother and I to live with my grandmother for a while. My grandmother was a very religious woman whom had become a widow at an early age and had to raise four daughters on her own. She had relied heavy on her faith in God to accomplish this . After we moved in I , began gathering many life lessons from her that would see many through many difficult times in my life. One of these was about the radio . I was ten years old and loved to listen to all kinds of music and the radio was my gateway to that music.
On one particular spring day I was sitting in the den and listening to the radio . I had had a difficult week at school and it had been hard for me to make friends since we had moved from out west to the south , things and people were completely different. Our accents were different our clothes were different we were different and I just didn't fit in , well music and my radio was a way to escape and I did. On this particular day, no sooner had I started listening to the radio when my grandmother came in and sat down beside me and the words she said still to this day relate to my life. She said , " you know sweetheart , our faith in the Lord is like a radio ", and I said , "yes maam", and she said , " the further away we are from the Lord , we only get static to the answers we are praying for and to whats in our hearts " , " but " the closer we are to him the clearer the music to life becomes ". As I sat there listening I then said to her well how to I get closer to him , and how will I know when I'm close"? She said , " you pray" I looked and told her I didn't know how . She said , " well , you get on your knees , that shows gratitude and humility , then you tell him everything you are grateful for , and at this point and age in my life I really couldn't think of much. So, I said, "what if I can't think of anything"? She then said , " what about that music you listen to and the ability to hear it "? I said , you're right , I love the music ! " She then said , " what about shelter from the rain and the clothes on your back , and the food you eat ", those were all things I was grateful for . She was right , then what do I say in my prayers " ? " Well" , "she said," " you ask him for forgiveness for anything you felt bad about that you might have done and it made you feel bad inside". " Then you say whats in your heart , issues you need help with , anything that is bothering you that you need help with. " How do I know he is listening " ? Where that's where the radio comes in " and I said, " I don't understand "? She said , " by tuning in to the Lord by prayer by doing those things that bring us closer to him , we have less static and more crisp clear music in our lives ". I hung on every word and as i implemented her counsel to me that day I have been able to get through tough times but, I have also, tuned into the music that is the most important to my life and that is faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. So , thank you grandmother for my life lessons and thank you for teaching me how to fine tune the frequency that can lead me closer to my Heavenly Father and make it easier for me to hear the crisp clear music he has for my life .
© Copyright 2013 MrsJ (janalyn50 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1935678-Static-or--music--what-do-you-hear