*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1936731-Never-Judging-a-Book-by-its-Cover
Rated: E · Other · Biographical · #1936731
A co-worker,life-long ballerina,Notre Dame graduate, discovering her not-so glittery past
As a high school teacher, you meet plenty of people with different pasts, teachers and students. There's a teacher across the hall, an English teacher. Personality with sparks, has pictures of her in her tutu from when she was a child on her desk, next to those pictures, she flashes her Notre Dame pride. Lovely, dark brown hair, sparkling eyes, and beautiful olive, Mediterranean skin. Not only is she all of she raises all of this, a gorgeous baby girl, Angela is hers. Practically the perfect mother. Fluently speaking French, and the lovely languages of her heritage, Italian, Greek, and Portuguese. I've always pictured, her beautiful mother, and her handsome father, and how they were able to afford her top-notch Catholic schools, dance classes, and all other things that were provided for her growing up. The one day my jealousy got to me, I told another teacher "Well, we all knew she grew up getting what she wanted." Only to find out, she never even had a permanent home. From the time she was born having to be constantly shuffled between grandparents, and great-grandparents. Staying into the Catholic school, only if she promised to make B's and above, because otherwise, no one could pay for it. A discount from a great-aunt who owned the ballet studio, and who taught her the languages of her heritage? Her prideful great-grandparents, of course. She made it through school with all A's through hard work, and got a scholarship to Notre Dame. I now realize, only getting to stay with her parents a few times a year, in a way, she deserved it all. I had a much better childhood, and didn't work as hard. Do I deserve more than someone who's parents doesn't want them? The friend who taught me this, said that she never saw her life as bad. The English teacher across the hall, says "At least I was loved, and hey, it wasn't half bad having five bedrooms." Of course, five being the number of houses she had to alternate between, so each set of grandparents, great-grandparents, or really just, parents, could have a break.
© Copyright 2013 Christina McCave (michb at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1936731-Never-Judging-a-Book-by-its-Cover