*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1937924-It-Hurts
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1937924
It hurts is some of the only two words she can think of.
The sirens screamed.
The police cars came to an ear-splitting halt.
My family screamed at me, hitting me with anything they could reach.
That was all I could remember before I passed out from pain.
••••••••••••••••••••••••
I was scared. All I could see was white. Was... was I dead?
A wave of pain washed over me, and I knew I wasn't dead.
"Good god, you're awake!" someone next to me exclaimed.
"Who- who are you?" was the first genious question that came to my mind.
"I'm Nella, dear. How are you feeling?"
Nella didn't give me the chance to answer. She started tending to my wounds with a wet cloth.
It hurt.
Of course, that wasn't anything new.
"What happened?" I asked. All I remembered was my family beating me, and the screech of half a dozen police cars.
Nella hesitated for a moment, than answered, "Your parents have been illegally abusing you. They're in jail right now, and you're very badly injured, sweetie."
I wanted to ask something else, but at the same time I was afraid to know the answer.
"What will happen?" I said so quietly that I was surprised Nella actually heard.
She gave me a reassuring smile, and said, "You will be staying here for a week, than you will go to an orphanage where people who want to truly care for you can take on the responsibility."
••••••••••••••••••••••••
"NO! PLEASE! DON'T TAKE ME AWAY FROM NELLA!" I yelled.
It was time to go to the orphanage. I didn't want to go. I wanted to stay with Nella. I truly felt safe with her! She was the only one who knew what my life was like!
Was this the hurt I would have to pay every time?
It hurts.
Only this time, it was something new.
Nella rushed forward and hugged me one more time.
••••••••••••••••••••••••
At the orphanage, there was a bunch of kids having fun. There were a bunch of smiling adults.
I was scared. My parents never smiled unless something bad was gonna happen.
Then, the door swung open hastily. There were short gasps of breathing coming from it.
"Am I too late to adopt a child?" the voice asked between gasps.
My eyes widened in surprise. My body trembled. I gasped.
"No way..." I breathed. "Nella!"
She flashed her smile at me.
"You're just in time, actually!" one of the ladies behind the desk said.
They started discussing something I couldn't hear.
Nella started walking over to me.
"I want to adopt her." Nella said, smiling at me.
••••••••••••••••••••••••
Nella was the true parent I always wanted.
She didn't expect me to do any chores (although I did alot of them most of the time), and she never beat me if I did something wrong.
But most of all, after she adopted me, I never felt hurt again.
My heart never hurt again.






Word Count: 588 words
© Copyright 2013 Opal Ann (coralla at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1937924-It-Hurts