*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1938028-Unsure
by Casey
Rated: GC · Draft · Crime/Gangster · #1938028
Main char same name as my fave char from another I wrote Not sure where story going yet
Casey woke up suddenly. He was sitting with his legs pulled up against him and now they were aching. His arms around his legs and his hood up to keep him warm while he tried to get some sleep. His back ached a little from the cold, hard wooden planks he was leaning against. He was in an abandoned house just round the corner from the center of perth. He listened for any sounds for a moment before getting to his feet and stretching. He saw the sun was just coming up through the broken window to his left. He felt his stomach rumble with hunger. He needed a shower too. It had been a couple of days and he hated going without one for too long. He should be at home. Sleeping in a warm bed. Eating meals made by his loving mother and chatting to his caring father while they worked on a car together or something. Only  Casey's 'loving mother' was really a junkie who barely even knew he exsisted. She spent all her time and money 'chasing the dragon'. She had never resorted to anything as bad as prostitution for her habit but she wasn't above petty crime. And his 'caring father' was in jail. Had been for the last 5 years. Casey didn't have much contact with his dad but occasionally he visited the jail. His father wasn't evil, he just made a few mistakes and now he was paying for them. Though he wasn't exactly father of the year material before he was convicted of murder either.
Casey sighed and picked up his bag. He checked he still had his phone and wallet. He'd made some cash last night by running a few slightly shady errands for some people he knew so at least he could have a good breakfast. He also made a bit of cash from picking pockets and petty theft. He didn't exactly feel good about some things he did but Casey figured most people wouldn't hate him if they knew how he lived. He could always make up for it one day when he was out of this mess and on his feet again. At 19 he'd been living on and off the streets since he was 14. Ever since his dad went away. That's when his mother had gone off the rails. She couldn't handle living with what had happened. She went crazy at any mention of the night Casey's dad had stabbed his own brother to death. Casey didn't know exactly why it happened. All he knew was that his dad was guilty. That his mum never spoke about his uncle and they didn't go to the funeral.
Casey slung his bag over one shoulder and made his way out of the delapitated building. Food wasn't the only thing he was hungry for.

"Hey Casey, how's it goin man?" Dex sat up as Casey approached and bumped his fist.
Casey sat down next to Dex. The bar was already filled with the usual barflies. Casey had gone for breakfast and a shower in the city before catching a train to midland. Dex was one of Casey's better friends even though he was in the drug scene he had never ripped Casey off or set him up.
"Yeh I'm good. How you been?"
"Not bad. So what you doin' round here? Your mum giving you shit again?" Dex asked with a smirk. He ran a hand through his short blonde hair and took a sip of his whiskey.
"Somethin' like that" Casey muttered. " You got any stuff?"
Dex raised a pierced eye brow at him.
"Hmm, you sure you want that man? You been getting into it a bit lately."
"Yeh I'm sure, I know what I'm doing bro" Casey replied. He knew Dex was just looking out for him but he felt slightly annoyed at the implication behind his words. "I got the cash"
Dex gave Casey an unsure look before reluctantly reaching into his jeans pocket.
"Alright man, if you say so"
Casey took the baggy of white powder while slipping Dex two fifty dollar bills.
"Thanks Dex. So what's happening anyway?" Casey hid the speed in his own pocket before anyone could notice.
"Not a lot. Things have been pretty quiet" Dex sounded distant.
Casey suddenly felt the tension and noticed Dex giving him that disapproving look again. Dex was trying to hide it behind his whiskey glass. He'd known Dex since he was about 11. Dex was a couple years older and like a brother to him in some ways but Casey hadn't ever really thought about things like that. He realised it was always Dex who seemed to be there when he was in trouble or just feeling messed up. Maybe Dex felt some kind of responsibility toward him. He should have appreciated it. It's not like many other people had really taken much interest in what happened to him but at this point in time it pissed Casey off. He just wanted to catch a buzz and chill out. He didn't want to think about his crappy life right now but that look seemed to make reality harder to ignore. Casey was highly aware of what was in his pocket. He wanted to go take it now but didn't want to give Dex more reason to lecture him. Or look at him like he was a lost kid anymore.
© Copyright 2013 Casey (caseymack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1938028-Unsure