*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1939292-Wisdom---Spirit-of-Gods-Word
Rated: · Other · Religious · #1939292
Meditation article written for church newsletter in 2009.
Wisdom – Spirit of God’s Word

I prayed, and understanding was given me; I entreated and the spirit of Wisdom came to me. I esteemed her more than scepters and thrones; compared with her, I held riches as nothing. I reckoned no priceless stone to be her peer, for compared with her, all gold is a pinch of sand and beside her silver ranks as mud. I loved her more than health or beauty preferred her to the fight, since her radiance never sleeps. In her company all good things came to me, at her hands, riches not to be numbered. I determined to take her to share my life, knowing she would be my counselor in prosperity, my comfort in cares and sorrow. Wisdom 7:7-11, 8:9

In Hebrew literature, including the Old Testament, wisdom is given the name Sophia – and is considered the feminine aspect of God. The book of Proverbs is from the Wisdom literature of the Bible. In Proverbs 8: 30-31, Sophia describes herself playing in the presence of God, always being at God’s side, and delighting God day after day playing in his creation. It would appear that God has a feminine side to his nature, yet Scripture was written at a time and by people who believed women were insignificant, little better than slaves with no rights in society. A woman’s existence and status depended entirely on the men in her family – fathers, brothers, husbands or sons – and yet, these very ancient texts show a woman as the word and wisdom of an all powerful God. I find this very interesting.

Advent is here once again and it is time to once more hear John’s cry in the wilderness, “Repent, and make straight the way of the Lord!” Proverbs 1:20-21 shows Sophia also raising her cry to the people, “Wisdom calls aloud in the streets, she raises her voice in the public squares; she calls out at the street corners, she delivers her message at the city gates.” Both are calling for us to return from our wanderings and enter the courts of God – to experience the insights, knowledge, love and mercy that are his gifts to us. Both are issuing calls that require time in solitude and prayer for reflection. Quiet time for reflection is necessary if our awareness of God’s call to us is to take root in our hearts. This knowledge must move from our head to our heart – from analysis to belief – where it tosses and turns, cries, wails, leaps and dances – until finally it is formed into truths that are eventually brought to light and discovered.

Whether we meditate on John’s call to repent – or Sophia’s evangelistic call in Proverbs, there is always a sense of fear – the unknown is always present as we step out in quiet to meet the transforming power of God. We have no need to be afraid though – we are well protected – our guide is strong and ever faithful – staying close by as we see the destruction of our false decisions, wrong turns, and confusion. What appears is a bright and pure light – a glimmer like the new dawn appearing on our horizon – and becoming brighter and stronger as the ideas are formed and take root. The brightness will be all the more brilliant for the darkness that it will come out of. Growth and change are the expected results of this time. Many things can come out of this call – the bright stars will guide our hearts just as a brilliant star led the Magi to the stable where the newborn son of God lay in a manger-stall.

Such is the time of Advent – preparation for us to step out of the darkness into the light of the knowledge of the love of God – of Jesus – of the Holy Spirit/Sophia. Prepare the way of the Lord. The Word was made flesh and dwelt among us. Amen.
© Copyright 2013 Cat Lover (spiritcat5 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1939292-Wisdom---Spirit-of-Gods-Word