*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1939558-Pell-Shade-and-the-Mysterious-Paper
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Children's · #1939558
Middle grade, chapter book about a girl who discovers her heart's greatest wish...
Chapter 1

Rare Finds

         Twittering birds announced Ann Mnemosyne’s arrival.  Much like the usual door chime, it greeted the patron and alerted the clerk of a presence.  However, this was not just any shoppe.  This was Rare Finds, so it was most certainly no ordinary chime. 
         The chirpy greeting struck a chord deep within Ann and its effect was not subtle.  Even though the material of her dress swung forward, her body held back at the threshold.  Her fingers gripped the door’s brass handle seconds longer than necessary.  Every nerve in her body surged with mad tingles as a strange anticipation bubbled up within — something was about to begin. 
         That was precisely when it happened.  An odd stillness crept up from the floor and its milky white mist stalked around her — almost as if she was being inspected.  Whether or not she was deemed acceptable was left unanswered or perhaps the answer lies within the fact that nothing foul had occurred.  Just as quickly, the breath in which time held back flowed once more. 
         A slight shake of her head and Ann’s senses were instantly cleared, but she was not prepared for what met her eyes. 
         It is not very often in life that one forgets to breathe, but that is just what Ann did.  In fact, for all her thirty five years, no experience could have prepared her for this.  Anything she had ever considered exciting in her life was now forgotten — there was no point in wasting the precious space in her mind with those trivial tidbits. 
         B E H O L D! her thoughts cried out in humbled reverence.  This was definitely unlike any thrill that she had ever felt upon entering any of her favorite places — which, incidentally, were bookstores and libraries. 
         From every crammed nook, every overstuffed cranny, and even the mysterious space that lies between, the shoppe welcomed her and beckoned for her exploration.  Of course, with eyes wide and a dreamy smile, she was only too happy to accept the invitation.       
         From somewhere deep within the shoppe a gentle soul played a haunting melody from his pan flute.  Its airy spirit lifted Ann’s feet and she seemed to float across the cobble stoned floor. 
         In just a glance, Ann marveled at how easily reality blended in with the fantastic.  Dozens of finely crafted trolls were posted throughout the store — for there could be no fiercer guard.  Here and there, mischievous sprites joined in as they peeked around corners and over high edges — their appearance was so natural that even the most boring realist dare not defy their right of existence.  Framed paintings and sketches of faery cottages added an extra dimension to the walls — they seemed more like windows to other worlds than mere artwork.
         It was upon one particular shelf that Ann discovered just how dangerous fantasy can actually be. 
         A scholarly monkey sat atop a golden ceramic box reading his oversized book.  Below the wise primate and underneath the lip of the box’s lid lay a seemingly simple, etched flower.  Centered within its brassy petals, a burning ruby was set.
         Its fiery sparkle held Ann’s eye and suddenly, nothing else existed.  It was just before she was completely lost that a long, thin, furry pendulum swung across her view.  Her heavy eyes latched onto the tail and were instantly diverted.  They travelled upward, but were stopped when a single finger stretched out and then wagged from side to side.
         At another time Ann might have found the monkey’s stern look comical, but not this time.  There was nothing amusing about being scolded by a ceramic monkey on a box.  She frowned.  Ceramic monkeys simply do not scold…or do they? 
         Several shadows floated by and drew her attention to the…ceiling?  That is, if one could call it that.  Actually, it looked similar to the sky outside, but with more traffic.  High above and poised, ready to dive bomb any enemy that dare trespass, were various scaled model planes and seagulls.  All of which, were a little too realistic-looking for Ann’s liking.  Both bird and machine swam around a beautiful sea of multi-colored glass.     
         “Ahem…,” a voice interrupted her thoughts and then, in a slightly accented tone, added.  “Welcome to Rare Finds.”
         Ann’s hand flew to her mouth and she swallowed back the scream that, without a doubt, could have shattered the glass above or at least cracked it. 
         “My name is Gampi Raido.  You may call me Gampi.  I am the guardian of the treasures you see,” the four and half foot tall man continued in his nasally voice.  He waited ever so politely, but when Ann did not speak, he added, “I am here to assist you.”
         Ann found that her brain could not form words so instead she stared and, much to her later embarrassment, her mouth dropped open. 
         Behind his antique Pince-Nez glasses, Gampi’s deep blue eyes sparkled.  A knowing smirk tilted his lips upward and he lightly touched the center of the unique frames with a thin finger. 
         Wait…did that odd little man just say he was the ‘guardian’ of these items? Ann thought as her brain decided to work once more.  She watched with utter fascination as he pinched the right corner of his spectacles and adjusted them some more.  Just how many times a day did they slide down his nose?  After mentally shaking herself for such an absurd thought, she quickly returned to examining the rest of this most proper shoppe keeper.
         Gampi Raido was definitely different from most people — scratch that, he was the epitome of unique.  Aside from the most obvious, for almost no one has the exact same physical attributes, his true difference was something that most would never see. 
         This man was a master observer.  No matter if the object was as small as a ladybug or as grand as an elephant, he examined every angle, every detail, and the possibilities of what might lay within.  This rare ability combined with decades of assisting the patrons who walked through the door of Rare Finds taught him how to discern just what was needed — even if it was not necessarily what was wanted.
         Just to be certain he did not misjudge a patron (he was supposedly human after all), he could always rely on the chimes.  You see, each patron was announced by a particular bird call.  The twittering sound not only foretold that patron’s disposition, but hinted to their need as well.   
         “Hello.  Um yes.  Well, thank you…Mr. um, Raido,” Ann greeted with some difficulty and a slight nod of her head.  Per usual, she pulled at her sleeves and then wrung her hands together.  “My name is Ann and I’m looking for…”
         Gampi raised his long left forefinger to politely interrupt.  If his mind recalled correctly, her entrance was marked by blackbirds.  Ah yes, they always announced a pleasant guest.  He knew exactly what she required now. 
         “It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance Ann and I must insist that you call me Gampi.  Now, that we have all the social etiquette out of the way, please follow me.  I know exactly what it is that you need,” he requested with a wave of his hand.  He either ignored or did not see the perplexed look on her face.  For when he turned back, it was merely to add, “The items you seek for your niece are right this way.”
         It was after several twists and turns that they stopped between a rock and a…
         “Excuse me,” Ann blurted out when her feet suddenly halted.  Her mind simply refused to allow them to move even one more inch without hearing an explanation.  Her neck craned forward and her head tilted back and forth as she examined what looked to be a six foot tall…rock.  Aside from its obvious size, it was the most ordinary object in the room.  “What…”
         “Ah yes,” Gampi sighed knowingly.  His eyes became reverent as they regarded the rock.  “Yes, that is one of my most treasured pieces.  However, it is not what you seek.  It is intended for another.” 
         Ann’s brows furrowed and her eyes snapped to him in question.  Who on earth would want a rock?  More importantly, what would do they do with one that big? 
         “A rare piece indeed,” he said, reminiscing.  “It was removed from a road less travelled.  It took the original owner nearly ten years to remove it, but once he did...  Ah yes, what an incredible journey he had after that.  One for the history books I’d say without a doubt.  It’s a very hard piece to come by these days — especially one so small.  Few people have the tenacity and courage...”
         “Wait,” Ann interrupted quickly.  She was still digesting the fact that the rock was an actual item intended for sale.  But to call it small?  And then to…  “Wait, it’s from where?”
         “Ah, but you have already travelled down a similar road,” Gampi told her.  He lifted up his eye piece and regarded her carefully.  “Yes, though it didn’t take you quite as long.”
         Ann found that her mind refused to process another thought — especially any that regarded ‘the rock’.
         “How else do you suppose you were able to find the entrance to this shoppe?  It does not appear for just anyone.  Rare Finds is very selective in choosing who may enter — even I have no say.”
         Ann’s brows relaxed and her face drained of expression.  She hoped the odd man did not expect her to respond.  What response could possibly follow that?
         “Now, let us find your item,” he told her as he turned and continued on.
         A few yards past the…dare she think of it as a mere rock again?  Ann was still replaying the conversation in her head when Gampi stopped suddenly and waved his left hand as if to say, ‘ta-da’. 
         Ann was speechless.  Before her sat a seemingly simple, albeit very thick, stack of paper.  Despite the multi-colors, the varied sizes, and even the few sheets with clever patterns, it was still just paper.  At least, that is what she was certain her niece would say.  Disappointment did not have a chance to settle though as her eyes drifted to behind the stack.  This time they found something a little more exciting.  Propped up on a wooden stand, as if to hint the papers purpose, was a very thick book entitled, Origami. 
         “It is highly advisable to keep track of the paper at all times,” Gampi instructed in a voice much too serious to be speaking of ordinary paper.  “It has a tendency to be mischievous so your young niece must be careful not to allow her thoughts to wander when she turns it.  Focusing is a  necessary key with this paper.”
         Ann felt words puddle in her mouth, but they quickly dried up as he mentioned her niece again.  How did this odd man know that she was shopping for Pell?
         “Statua magis,” he pronounced slowly.  Despite Ann’s mental wanderings, he continued his pitch.
         “Excuse me,” Ann said in a perplexed tone.  “What?”
         “Statua magis,” Gampi repeated without any exasperation in his tone.  “It is the phrase she will need to speak once the paper is ready.”   
         Ann froze.  All of a sudden, it was as if bells and alarms sounded in her head.  Magic words, special papers, and a thick book?  It was too perfect to believe.  Pell was certain to be surprised!  Her sharp eyes returned to the paper and, even though she was not certain just what, she was positive that the paper did more than merely fold into animals.   
         A series of frantic chirps cried out and the air instantly chilled with eerie apprehension.
Gampi visibly stiffened at the chime’s warning.  His breath held as he listened intently to another round of the anxious birds.   
Wrens!  He frowned.  They were never a good sign.  With narrowed eyes, Gampi turned in the direction of the door.  In a hurried, but much controlled voice he urged, “Ms. Mnemosyne, it has been a pleasure, but I’m afraid we must part at this time.  The items are ready to go.  You need only to gather them.  If you just follow that path, you will discover the door.”
         The stunned expression on Ann’s face went unnoticed as the agitated man hurried away.  She was not certain if she was more disturbed by his abrupt departure or the fact that he knew her last name.     
         Deciding she must have given it to him and just not remembered, she gathered up the paper and book. 
         The path did indeed take her to the door as the peculiar ‘guardian’ had promised.  Now all that was left was to decide just how she was to pay if Gampi was attending someone else.  Ann frowned as she looked around, but then her expression changed to one of bewilderment.  To the right, nestled in a corner, and near the door was a dusty antique register.  Propped up against it was a small plaque with eloquent writing. 
         Even after reading the message three times, Ann still found it hard to believe.  What kind of store gave its merchandise away?  She shook her head and decided she would leave her information just in case.  After she scribbled a quick note to Gampi, her eyes gave the shoppe one last appreciative glance.



Chapter 2

The Gift{\b)

         The doorknob rattled and Pell’s eyes shot open.  A small smile tickled at her lips and she closed her eyes again.  She did not need to see her visitor to know who it was.  Her parents had told her before they left that her aunt would be arriving today. 
         Aunt Syne, since it is much easier to say than Aunt Ann Mnemosyne, was Pell’s favorite aunt.  Well, in truth, she is Pell’s only aunt, but Pell felt that she deserved the title of favorite.   
         “Dearest Pell as much as I am pleased by your love of reading, it also grieves me greatly,” Aunt Syne complained to her pale niece.  With one hand on her hip and the other wrapped around a square box, she looked an imposing figure standing in the doorway.  “So, how long have you kept yourself cooped up in your room this time?  You do realize that it is nearly noon, right?”
         Pell rolled her eyes and tried to hide the smirk that played at her lips.  Her aunt was also extremely predictable.
         Aunt Syne sighed deeply and entered the dreary room.  She noted, with much aggravation, that the shades were tightly shut — which was never a good sign.  So, what would be the matter this time?  She knew that shutting herself away was Pell’s way of dealing with a problem.
         “Aunt Syne, I’m sick,” Pell remarked irritably.  With a dry cough that was more drama than necessity, she sat up and leaned back against the headboard.  “Sick people are supposed to convalesce and that’s exactly what I’m doing.”
         “Uh-huh,” Aunt Syne mumbled dryly.  She dropped the box at the foot of Pell’s bed on her way to the window.  A loud hiss erupted from behind as Aunt Syne drew apart the curtains and let the light in.  “Yes, it’s just as I feared — you’ve relapsed.  Back to your same old ways again, I see.” 
         “Really Aunt Syne, there are no old ways,” Pell groaned.  “You know I have really bad allergies and asthma.”
         “Mmm, yes.  So that gives you an excuse to hide away in your room while the rest of us must continue on?”
         “No…,” Pell huffed. 
         “Well, sounds to me as if you need something other than your maladies to occupy that overly active brain of yours.  Luckily, I found just the thing to remedy that!”  Aunt Syne tilted her head and wiggled her eyebrows.  She plopped down on Pell’s bed and lifted the lid from the box.  With a smirk she leaned forward and rummaged through it.   
         Pell yawned and tried to feign indifference, but her eyes did not miss a thing.  Suddenly, the spark of interest fizzled though and something akin to a scowl flittered across her face when she saw what her aunt pulled from the box. 
         Aunt Syne, her aunt — her favorite aunt, just pulled a stack of paper from the box.  Following right after, was a very thick book.
         Pell’s sour expression made Aunt Syne chuckle.  Just you wait Pell, she thought.  She made certain the book was face up when she dropped it on the bed and then she started to leaf through the pages carefully.  Once the right color was located, she placed the rest of the paper back inside the box.  Now, she would show her niece! 
         First Aunt Syne folded the crisp white sheet in half diagonally.  She then folded the half in half again — only to unfold it and bring the right corner up and over to the left.  More steps followed and since this was not Aunt Syne’s first creation, her deft fingers worked quickly and without the usual beginners doubt.  Later on, there would be time to show Pell the actual steps and technique.  Right now, she needed to recapture her niece’s interest.  Swift and tireless Aunt Syne’s fingers worked until…
         Tall and full of grace, the miniature crane stood in Aunt Syne’s palm.  She lifted it up when she noticed Pell leaning forward and squinting. 
         “I’m twelve Aunt Syne,” Pell groaned and then let out a loud huff for good measure.  “I’ve heard of origami before.  It’s just folded paper.  There’s nothing special about that.”
         “Ah, I see you’re back to that way of thinking again.”  Aunt Syne shook her head and sighed loudly.  Her lips puckered, but before she whispered the special words to the crane she made certain Pell was watching.  Once the words were spoken, Aunt Syne sucked in a deep breath and then released it.  “On your way now, Horatio”
         Pell rolled her eyes, but they quickly returned to the paper bird.  A slight movement made her squint again.  Did it just stretch and then lift its legs?  It glided across the bed and toward the door.  It dropped with every second until gravity finally prevailed and it drifted so low that Pell lost sight.  She huffed drily and turned to her aunt. “Well that was below amazing.”
         “Oh,” Aunt Syne murmured, not so deflated.  Her lips turned up slightly and her eyebrows rose innocently.  Using only her eyes, she invited her unimpressed niece to give one more look to the downed bird. 
Pell’s overly-dramatic sigh was cut short as a white blur shot to the ceiling. 
         The little crane was a bit unsteady in flight so he swooped back down and landed — or rather crashed onto the quilt that was covering Pell. 
         Gaping much like a fish out of water, Pell’s mouth dropped open and then closed just as quickly.  She stared at the little bird in awe as it wobbled toward her.  Pure wonder poured from her wide eyes.  “How?”
         “Oh Pell, have you really forgotten so quickly what happens when you expect the ordinary?” her aunt asked.  She reached back inside the box and pulled out another crane.  He quickly jumped from her hand and went to inspect Horatio.  “Go on Phineas.”
         “I know…,” Pell grumbled and then recited, “to expect the ordinary is to receive the ordinary.”
         “Precisely,” Aunt Syne agreed.  “I, however, did NOT imagine something so simple so...”
         “But…” Pell interrupted.
         “But?” Aunt Syne repeated, raising her brow.  “My dear Pell, I am anything but ordinary.  You are anything but ordinary.  This family is anything but ordinary.  I find it highly frustrating that you keep insisting everything is dull when you don’t even try to see what it is that you are looking at.” 
         “That’s absurd!” Pell rebutted with a huff.  She grabbed her eyeglasses from the nightstand and quickly put them on.  “I’m not blind.  I may not always wear my glasses, but I can see.”
         “Yes, well when you do decide to wear them…there is a difference between seeing and seeing,” Aunt Syne said.  “Everyone in this family has that gift and despite your stubbornness, so do you.  That is why your parents are called upon so often.  Not every paper maker and book binder has arrangements made for them to travel to their customers.  What your parents create is special because they see not only what is, but what could be.”
         “I miss them,” Pell blurted out suddenly.  Her eyes tried to focus on the crane, but they kept blurring from the tears she refused to shed.  “I don’t understand why I can’t go with them anymore.  I’m older now so I can help.”
         Ah, so the real reason wasn’t so hard to fight for this time, Aunt Syne thought with relief.  It usually took weeks until Pell would explain why she was upset. 
         Pell was silent and continued to watch the cranes maneuver the uneven terrain of her bed.  Her lips twitched with each unsteady step they made. 
         Aunt Syne nudged the cranes with her finger, “Get along there.  Go on now.  Strut your stuff.”
         Horatio shook his wings indignantly before tucking them back for his run.  He raced to the edge of the bed and…dropped.  Phineas nipped at Aunt Syne’s finger and refused to move. 
         Pell rushed to the side, but then quickly fell back as Horatio floated upwards. 
         The smile on her niece’s face was worth more to Aunt Syne than money or jewels. 
         “Aunt Syne…what else can be made with that paper?” Pell asked suddenly.  Her smile drooped a little as she considered the impossible.  “Does everything it makes…  Well, will it act the same as Horatio and Phineas?”
         Aunt Syne bit her cheek to hold back a huge triumphant smile.  She knew what her niece was considering.  Excitement tingled through her fingers as they sifted through the paper once more until she located the right piece. 
         It was just past the five inch green square and right before the ten inch plaid square that Aunt Syne’s fingers finally halted.  The one and a half foot long, onyx square was nearly plain.  A small cream colored oval, about the size of her palm, was the only blemish to the shadowy page.
         “Ah yes, here we are.  This will suit him perfectly,” Aunt Syne murmured at her find.
         Pell looked at the paper and frowned.  Aunt Syne was right about the color. The only trouble was…how was that flat, one dimensional surface to become her dream?  Pell’s eyes drifted to the enormous book that sat close to the bed’s edge. 
         “Yes, yes, it is a very thick book with loads of designs, instructions, and what not, but I think the paper will make an exception just this once,” Aunt Syne said.  She had read the book from front to back before she even tried to make an origami.  Phineas had been such a surprise that she had decided not to use the paper for any other test creations.   
         “An exception?  How can paper…” Pell began, but stopped when her aunt placed a finger up to her lips.
         “Shhh, the paper will hear you,” she whispered to her niece.  She took Pell’s hands and placed the paper within them.  “The most important rule of this paper is to focus.  It is also very wise to always keep track of it.  From what I’ve seen it do, I must agree.”
         “Focus,” Pell repeated just before she closed her eyes.  It was odd and a bit distracting, but the paper felt warm.  If possible, it even made her fingers tingle.  The image in her mind was sharp.  How could it not be?  For as long as she could remember, she had dreamt of and longed for one particular thing. 
         “Well, there’s no wonder at what you plan to make.  But what will you call him?” Aunt Syne asked with a knowing smile.
         One eyelid lifted and Pell let loose the biggest smile her aunt had ever seen.  “I think I’ll call him…Nibs.”


*****If you like and want to read more, this is published and you can buy it as an ebook or a paper back at B&N online or Lulu.com-Amazon also has the paper back.  On Saturday at 12pm EST I will be on WEBBWEAVER Books BTR show reading another chapter:  http://www.blogtalkradio.com/webbweaverbooks/2013/06/22/webbweaver-books-proudly... *****
© Copyright 2013 ChristyCondoleo (chriscondoleo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1939558-Pell-Shade-and-the-Mysterious-Paper