*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1939869-My-Cupboard-Is-Bare-Soup
by ruwth
Rated: E · Other · Contest Entry · #1939869
What can I eat when I have no food?
I open the fridge for the third time in an hour. Nothing has changed. A jug of water and an open box of baking soda. Nothing there to stop the rumbling in my tummy.

Next, I search the cupboards one more time -- chamomile tea, salt, pepper, Italian Seasoning, olive oil and a tiny bit of flour. Nothing fitting to make a meal. Or is there?

I open the flour canister, tip it and shake the contents into a pile on one side of the empty bottom. About two tablespoons.

I grab a small sauce pan and the bottle of oil. Hmmm... looks like I have about two tablespoons of oil and about the same amount of flour. Thank God for the flour. I brown it in the oil with a little salt and pepper. I add a few teaspoons of water. It simmers and my floury mixture thickens into a paste.

I sample it. It doesn't taste too bad but needs a little something. I add some dashes of the Italian Seasoning. Ah! Now it tastes almost like real food.

I need to stretch it into a bigger serving. Slowly, I add more water. It's no longer paste but more like gravy now -- or soup.

That's what it is, it's "My Cupboard Is Bare Soup". It's better than nothing. Barely but better.

I eat it slowly. It warms my tummy, quiets the rumbling and I fall asleep satisfied -- until tomorrow.
© Copyright 2013 ruwth (ruwth at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1939869-My-Cupboard-Is-Bare-Soup