*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1940063-Journeys-Chapter-Six-The-Gem
Rated: 13+ · Other · Fantasy · #1940063
Maris discovers new information about the gem
Chapter Six: The Girl and the Gem




As I was lying in bed looking out of the window, I watched the stars and admired how they danced together amidst the moonlight. These stars and the sea keep calling to me, and I want to join them, but I can’t. My life is here now, in Cheul, in a mansion, with Julius. I will forever be bound to this town. I began to sob quietly again, and I tried to fall asleep but couldn’t. Suddenly there was a knock on the door.

“It’s Airen. Can I come in?” He whispered. I responded with a small yes, and he quietly came into the room with a glass of milk and a large piece of Lowelberry cake. He lit a candle on my dresser and then sat on the edge of the bed, placing the milk and Lowelberry cake in front of me. I thanked him for it with a nod and began to eat. “I know this is a hard pill to swallow right now since you’re young, and you’re marrying someone that you hardly know and like. Things will get better. Trust me.” I smiled back at him softly, but then I began to get sad again.

“Airen you don’t understand. I don’t want to marry Julius. I just want to go to schola academia in Minerva and become a cartographer and travel the world. I don’t want to stay in the house petting a pedigree dog while he’s out running campaigns and luncheons and going on business trips to Calperga. I don’t want to be changing my dress three times a day and sit with women who I don’t know to talk about trivial things and knit! I want to travel the world, see new places and go beyond Cheul!” He smiled and chuckled.

“You’re just like Father. He was the same way at your age. He ran away from marrying Mother but had to come back when her father found him and forced them to get married. I guess over the years they’ve had nothing but time to grow to love each other. Maybe the same will happen for you. However, I do want you to travel the world and see what you’ve been aching to see.”

“Hey, why didn’t you ever marry? I thought you were going to get married while you were in Calperga.” I saw him become sad.

“The woman I was engaged to was seeing another man at the time of our arranged marriage, and she went off and married him. The last time I ever saw her was a week before I left. Her name was Elysian, Elysian Larke to be exact. She was a beautiful woman, and I loved her dearly. Well that’s in the past now. I guess I’ll just have to wait until it’s truly time for me to find someone, someone special.” He gave me a big hug. “I want you to go out and explore the world, okay. Live your life. Run away if you have to.”

And with that said, I had a new plan for my life: to live it the way I wanted to.

***


Today I had ran several errands with my mother. I went to the seamstress to be fitted for my wedding gown and to buy more dresses in general. I also went to the cobbler to buy riding boots (to accompany Julius to polo games) and to purchase various types of laced boots and heels. By the end of all this I was extremely fatigued and sweaty, and I needed another bath to soothe my aching back from the tight ties of the corset and to sooth my feet from trying on heels.

I sat in the tub. Relaxed and at ease , my legs were up and crossed on the edge of the tub. The gem was to the right of me on the side of the tub, and ever since I got in the tub it seems to sparkle. I don’t know if I’m seeing things, or if it’s reflecting the water. Suddenly, I got a marvelous idea. I picked up the gem and slowly placed it into the water. After submerging it, it didn’t do anything, so I wondered if I had to say anything to it in order to make it do something.

“You know, I’ve been dying to have a bubble bath, so why don’t you make bubbles?” The gem did nothing but sit at the bottom of the tub, but suddenly the water began to swirl, and then bubbles began to form. I marveled at the sight of this and began to try the gem some more.

“Can you heat up the water a tad bit please? It’s getting cold.” The gem obeyed me and made the water nice and warm. This is great. There are so many things I can do now with this gem. Who knows what I can do know? I stepped out of the tub to drain it, and then I went to get ready to go out for an afternoon in town.

I decided to meet Palvia in town today, so I could tell her the news. She’s already going to be shocked because she’ll be seeing me wear a dress, stockings and laced boots for the first time in my life, and a pale yellow dress with light blue trimming to be exact. Parasol opened above me and gem around my neck, I sauntered down the street towards the teahouse, noticing the young men the stopped to stare at me as I waltzed pass. Yes, this new look really has put out a different impression of me. Palvia sat in the teahouse sipping tea and eating slice of lemon cake. She looked rather beautiful today. Her hair was in a nice bun, her makeup was soft and natural-looking, and her dress was nice and pastel-coloured. Her gloves were laid neatly beside her teacup.

I approached her cautiously. I didn’t want to rush up at her and scare her out of her daze.

“Palvia,” she looked up at me. Her eyes went from entranced to shock. She stood up and observed me.

“My goodness, you look so different. You look great! Please have a seat.” I sat down across from her as she yelled for the woman behind the counter to bring an extra teacup and another slice of lemon cake. I quickly took off my gloves, and she clasped my hands in hers.

“So what’s new? Why are we all dressed up? Are you in love with someone? Tell me.” I gave a small chuckle.

“I guess you could say that.” I said, my tone teeming with sarcasm. She took much notice to it.

“What’s wrong? Are you caught in a love triangle? Is it-”

“No Palvia. I’m getting married to Julius next week, and I really don’t want to. Now I see what you mean. Being forced to marry someone you don’t love is hell!” The woman behind the counter looked into my direction, and I felt embarrassed. Palvia looked at me sadly.

“Actually being married is not all that bad. Tavin is actually a very nice guy! He buys me what I want, he cooks for me and he gives me emotional and physical comfort if you know what I mean, but other than that all I have to do is clean from time-to-time.” Wow that was a drastic change. She went from sobbing and causing a scene to gloating about her marriage. My what a wonderful world we live in!

“That’s…nice I’m happy for you. I really am.” She beamed.

“Thank you. Hey, isn’t Julius the mayor’s son, the short fat guy that walks around with a large lollipop in his hand that looks like he’s ten but he’s seventeen?” I nodded my head.

“Unfortunately yes.” Her eyes began to express jealousy.

“Well, at least you know you’ll be taken care of. You know you’ll have it easy. You’re getting married to money for goodness’ sake! Oh why couldn’t it have been me? I would have been way more grateful then you’ll ever be!” Palvia stood up abruptly and headed for the door. I called out to her and tried to get her to come back, but to no avail. She wouldn’t listen. She stopped at the door and looked back at me,

“I want you to never speak to me again. You’ll probably think you’re too good to talk to me anyway. Have a good life!” And with that she stomped back to her ranch. This is just grand, the only thing I pretty much have left to lose is my mind.



© Copyright 2013 And Momo was Loco (momoberries14 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1940063-Journeys-Chapter-Six-The-Gem