*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1940095-Tobagua-The-Queens-Locket-Prologue
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Rikki
Rated: E · Chapter · Fantasy · #1940095
Tobagua Prologue
The morning sun glistened off the old photograph. It depicted a young couple, man and wife, holding a small dark haired baby. The two looked as if they were about to explode with happiness at their newly born child. A fairy hovered nearby, and the baby pointed at it in laughter.

Sixteen years after the photo was taken, the Queen sat at her desk, gazing at her husband and daughter. She wiped a tear from her eye. Two more years, she reminded herself. Two more years, and perhaps we will be reunited at last.

All of a sudden there was the sound of a door slamming. Tedra jumped slightly and looked up to see her husband, Rupin storming into the room. His dark eyes were brimming with anger.

“Rupin! What’s the matter?” Tedra asked. She rose from her desk and crossed the room, wondering if she should try to comfort him. She’d learned over the many years of being together though, that it was usually best not to.

“That idiot! In all my years of being King, I’ve never seen a more pathetic person!” Rupin exclaimed.

“Is it Natal again?” Tedra asked.

“Yes it’s Natal! He proclaims that he was told by one of the maids this morning to go to the Redley Trees, and inform the giants that they can expand their clan into the Erimere Forest! So, without asking either of us, he carried on this message to the giants. They’re moving right now!” Rupin said, his voice getting louder at every sentence.

“Did you ask the maids about this?” Tedra asked hopefully.

“Yes I asked the maids! They had no idea of it of course. Another one of his stupid ideas to piss me off I suppose. I swear, one more thing, and he’s out of here. I’m sorry, Tedra, but I can’t stand it anymore.”

“I understand. I’ll try and talk to him while you sort out the giant situation. Just calm down, it’ll all be fine,” Tedra said, and gave Rupin a quick kiss. His breathing slowed slightly at this. He nodded and retreated out the door, shaking his head.

Tedra sighed. Of course, this wasn’t much of a surprise. With one last look at the photograph, she followed Rupin out the door. Maybe she could get somewhere with Natal this time.


That night, Tedra lay in bed, waiting for Rupin. He still hadn’t returned to the castle. She was sure he would be exhausted when he arrived. Maybe he would be in a better mood though. Just as she was falling asleep, she heard the sound of the door creak. Rupin crept in the room, trying to be quiet so as not to wake her.

“I’m still awake,” Tedra said through the darkness. “How did things go?”

“Alright, I suppose. Things are back to normal now. But it took me several hours to finally make the giants understand it was a false message. They’re so hard to communicate with. When they did finally get what I was saying, they were furious of course. So it took at least another hour to persuade them to return to the Redley Trees. What a waste of a day.” Rupin explained. He yawned and crawled into bed.

“I spoke with Natal.”

“And?”

“Well of course, he didn’t say much. But maybe this got to him,” Tedra said. Rupin snorted.

“I doubt it. But thanks, hun.” There was a pause. And then, in a completely different voice, Rupin said, “I was thinking about our daughter today. How do you think she is?”

“I was thinking of her also. I’m sure she’s okay, your mother will surely be taking good care of her,” Tedra replied.

“I’m just so nervous. What do you think her decision will be in two years?”

“I have no idea. I mean, we don’t even know her, I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.” Tedra said. There was silence for a few minutes.

“Well, I think I’m going to go to sleep. Long day. ‘Night.” Rupin said and rolled over.

“‘Night.”

Ten minutes passed. By then, Rupin was snoring loudly. Tedra was still wide awake. Just as she was about to fall asleep, the door swung open and the lights were on. Ana, the castle fortune teller, burst in the room. Rupin jumped up and looked around.

“What the?! Ana! This better be pretty damn important!” Rupin shouted angrily. Ana had a crazy look in her eyes. Although, she usually had a weird look on her face. Some people thought she was insane, but she was a good fortune teller.

“I’ve had a vision!” Ana exclaimed, her eyes widening even further. Rupin didn’t look impressed.

“Well, what was the vision of?” Rupin asked impatiently.

“The vision was of your daughter, King Rupin. She will be arriving here within a month’s time!” Ana said.

“A month? Are you sure, Ana?” Tedra said slowly.

“I’m absolutely positive, Queen Tedra.” Ana said.

“How is that possible though? We’re not supposed to see her for another two years...” Tedra said.

“I don’t know. It’s just what I saw.”
© Copyright 2013 Rikki (rikkiredhead16 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1940095-Tobagua-The-Queens-Locket-Prologue