*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1940120-To-run-away-or-not
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1940120
Written for the Daily flash fiction. This is my 2nd attempt at story writing.
"Wake Up"

"Wake Up"

Blared the alarm on Carly's phone. It was six A.M. She pulled the sheets around her tighter and put her hand out to find the beeping phone. She pressed the snooze button, but didn't go back to sleep. She felt safer under the blanket, as though it was a bullet proof cover or an invisibility cloak. She knew from experience, hiding was never the solution to a problem. She slowly and reluctantly pushed herself out of bed.

After changing and putting on her running shoes, Carly drank a quick sip from the bottle of water. She locked her door and sprinted down the sidewalk leading to the park nearby. Traumatic scenes from her past flashed through her mind as she ran. She knew that no matter how inspired or strong she felt at times, something about her past continued to haunt her. She wanted this fear to end and the only solution she could gather was to stand firm and never run away from it.

Carly got back home, showered, and changed to her formals. As she drove to work, a colorful ice cream truck drove past her and triggered a sweet and happy childhood memory. A faint smile crossed her lips, and a revelation brightened her life.

"Whenever life gives me a hundred things to fear or worry about, there are always a thousand more things to be happy about."



© Copyright 2013 Princess Zelda (jilu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1940120-To-run-away-or-not