*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1940592-Circuits-of-Life-Unexpected-Journey
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Chapter · Sci-fi · #1940592
This is the prologue for a book I'm currently writing...Earth is faced with a new enemy
Year 2060

The sound of laser beams destroying nearby buildings echoed through Robert’s workshop. Hanging lamps swayed back and forth as the vibration of the explosion shook the shop’s walls. Small particles dropped as the lights flickered off and then on. Bolts, nails, screwdrivers and other tools collapsed to the floor. A tall, handsome, dark haired man with a stubby mustache and a matching beard walked to the fallen tools. His is clothes tattered and torn with randomly placed oil stains and dirt. His once pristine lab coat was now the reflection of a farmer’s attire after a long day of work. He picked up the falling utensils nostalgically and patrolled himself to the corner where mechanical creatures lined in rows.

He gently ran his hand across one of the creature’s chest, its mechanical surface felt like a pebble that’s been washed by the sea. It was this cool sensation that reminded him of the peaceful days to come. He then placed his hand over the machine's head and listened for the thud that penetrated (not sure if I want to use the word penetrate) from inside. “You sound superb,” then scribbled in his notepad its readings.

Robert did this to every machine until he was standing in front of them all in wonder, “you all have grown tremendously,” he placed his hand firmly inside his front pocket which was filled with miniature and medium sized holes.

Each machine was posed as a solider with its head straightforward and chest puffed to the ceiling. Eyes focused with a reserved stare. Disparate from human privates, each robot was an exact height of six-foot and in a military uniform made of complete iron. (Not sure if the sentence above makes sense) They all possessed the same components: a silk interface, a grayish coat, a flat stilled face, and buttons that resembled military badges plated on their arms and chests (not sure if I should add the extra set of description, kind of sound redundant in a way). In the middle of their torsos were transparent windows that captured their artificial organs. Every second they pulsed lucent neon blue, as if they were made to mimic the human heart. To Robert these weren’t ordinary robots that were found in factories. They were a beast wrapped in steel and the only hope for humanity.

In the front of them stood a machine with a bluish coat outlined in gold. Unlike the others, this one eyes glowed a vibrant white, and its right hand saluted while the left lay gently on his side.

“Are you ready?” Robert asked.

The machine responded with a press of button that virtualized a human disguise over it.

“I promise,” Robert placed his hand confidently on the machine’s shoulder.

Another attack vibrated the building causing debris from the ceiling to plunge on a workbench where Robert had been working.

Robert let out a depressing sigh, “it’s almost time,” he placed his hand on his forehead and walked towards the window on the opposite side of the room.

He opened the blind mid way, giving enough view of the huge mechanical ship hovering above Earth’s atmosphere. He watched as the ship unleashed a massive wave of destruction on his beloved city. Robert stood awed, as hundreds vaporized in seconds.

“No,” Robert placed his hand between the blinds on the window and turned his head. Thoughts emerged of children faces and mothers cries all being whip out appeared in front of him.

As Robert stood shocked a loud thump hit where his hand lay. “Whoa,” he jumped back knocking over chairs and crates, in the process also snatching down the shades that hid him from the world. His eyes adjusted to the being stationed beyond the glass, it was a woman.

She holding a child drenched in blood. She banged furiously on his window screaming, “save him” over and over again. Surprised and distracted by the woman’s appearance, Robert hastily went out to her. By the time he made it around the corner where the woman sat, a seven-foot tall creature with eyes blacker than coal and skin the color of the ocean’s floor appeared emotionless in front of her.

“NO!” Robert reached out his hand.

Before his eyes the creature lifted one of his four arms behind him. The woman, now gazing at Robert in overwhelming fear, dropped her son to the side and closed her eyes. Unleashing his arm in a thrust, the creature pierced through her body splitting her in half. With her eyes still shut her body went in two separate ways, one laying near her son and the other at the foot of the beast that slayed her. The woman son’s bawled, as his mother lay in front of him bloody and divided. Robert was speechless, for this was his first witness of the monsters that descended from the heavens actions. Thoughts of their cruelty and heartless ways clouded his mind.

As Robert stood petrified and in disgust, the creature found a new target, the woman’s son who was pressed hard against a rock, immobilized. He lifted up one of his arms and began his descent again.

“I don’t want to die,” the boy cried.

Hearing the boy’s cries snapped Robert from his delusional state. The boy was curled in fear as the enormous fiend stood impassive in front of him. Robert looked frantically around for something to distract the creature’s actions.

“No, no, no, no,” Robert’s head was boggled with the intent of saving the child as he searched through the piles of rubble.

“No, let me go, I don’t want to die,” the boy sobbed.

The creature had the boy firmed in his grip by the collar of his shirt. The boy kicked and waved his arms desperately trying to escape. With a big heave the boy was tossed into the air screaming.

“NO!” Robert said.

The creature looked at Robert as if he knew the scene was affecting him. Then he turned and tossed a giant circular object with knives wrapped around its edges at the boy. The boy, still in the air watched as the swirling object headed his way. He closed his eyes for impact, listening to the swoosh sound of the blades.

Robert stood helpless as the object twirled its way to the child. He gasped as the object spun violently five feet away. The boy clutched on to his shirt with his entire might, as if holding on to it would protect his heart.

Tears formed in Robert’s eyes as the boy looked down on him and smiled. The deadly object came closer and closer. Robert turned away as the sight of the boy’s blood was too much to bear.

Robert heard no cries, screams, or the sound of metal piercing through flesh; he peeked around his fingers slowly turning back to the scene. The object had made its way to the child, its piercing blade penetrated his right leg and the boy let out an anguished scream.

Robert shivered as the cries made their way to him. His faith in humanity was depleting as the creatures’ malicious ways played out in his head. Then suddenly, in the midst of all black a light appeared guiding the way in the form of the woman’s face who tossed her now endangered son out of the way. Robert remembered his reasoned for overcoming the obstacles that lay before him. He knew he couldn’t give up, not only for himself but the people of Earth and the ones who would come to be.

“Activate! Project E!”
© Copyright 2013 Kawaii Sam (kawaiisam at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1940592-Circuits-of-Life-Unexpected-Journey