*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1942532-Flash-Fiction-71113
by Mignon
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest · #1942532
Short story challenge
(Submitted Version)
She peered up at the sign,  Law Offices of Tyler and Smith. This was it. Today was the day. She crept out of the shadow of the building and scurried inside. At the reception desk she felt the fear again.
“Can I help you?”
She was unsure, tempted to run back out. She held her ground. “I have an appointment with Mr. Tyler.”
“Yes, miss...?”
“Anna Jackson” It felt good to say that again.
“One moment, Ms. Jackson, I’ll page him.”
Anna sat quietly in the waiting room chairs. She was shaking all over.
“Ms. Jackson?” The quiet but firm voice roused her from her thoughts. “This way please.” He held out a hand to her. Anna took the lawyer’s hand and rose to follow him down the hall.
The receptionist looked on with a quiet smile on her face. She’d seen the bruises and the fear. She’d known what it was like to be starting over again. She loved working for the divorce lawyers. She was convinced that they saved lives.


(Edited Version, 250 words)

    She peered up at the sign nervously. Law offices of Tyler and Smith. This was it. Today was the day. The woman took a deep breath and crept out of the shadow of the building. She looked around anxiously and then scurried inside.

    At the reception desk, she felt the fear overtake her again. About to bolt, she heard the receptionist’s calm voice.

    “May I help you?”

    She was unsure, on the verge of running back out but she straightened her back and held her ground. “I have an appointment with Mr. Tyler.”

    The receptionist took in the fading bruises, the haunted look in the woman’s eyes. “Yes, miss…?”

    “Anna Jackson.” She felt something new at being able to say that again.

    “Go ahead and have a seat, Ms. Jackson and I’ll page him.”

    Anna nodded and went to sit quietly in the waiting room chairs. She was shaking all over but somehow she knew she would get through this.

    Another calm, quiet voice roused her from her thoughts. “Ms. Jackson? I’m Matthew Tyler.”  He held out his hand for her to shake.

    Anna managed not to flinch, and she took his hand gingerly. 

    “Please, follow me.” The lawyer said and the two proceeded down the hall.

    The receptionist looked on with a sad smile on her face. Her friends didn't understand how she could work for divorce lawyers, but she loved it. She knew what it was like to be starting over again. She was convinced they saved lives.

© Copyright 2013 Mignon (candiij at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1942532-Flash-Fiction-71113