*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1942771-The-surprising-soccer-game
Rated: · Other · Children's · #1942771
Well, a prety turn in a normal soccer game...
The Surprising Soccer Game

Recess was finally here! I ran towards the school field with the rest of my class. Soccer was our favourite game, a way of distressing from the busy and tiresome life. Speeding towards the field, I looked back at the others. Seeing them way behind me, and being the boastful self I am, I shouted out to them, “Slow coaches! Quickly come before the others get to the field!” We soon got into our positions and started the game.

“Beep!!” The sound of the whistle rang in my ears. As the opposing team was winning after a goal, I was infuriated and, with all my might, kicked the ball. I watched it go flying across the field. Oh no! I was hurling towards a big burly boy! “Boom!” the ball hit the boy in no time.

The boy, in whom I have seen his name tag that read ‘Timothy’, marched towards me, and judging the red look on his face, I could tell he was extremely furious. He was getting closer and closer. I was getting terrified as I saw his size and figure. He is like one of those body-builders, one in which can make one afraid. I stood rooted to the ground, not knowing what to do. I tried to move my legs to run away, but my legs refused to allow me, so there I stood, motionless and petrified.

The boy had reached me, grabbed me by the collar and spat at me. I could hardly take it anymore.

Just when I was about to shout loudly at him, he said something that caught my attention. “Is that all you can do? What a low-powered shot! How about a game with me and my ‘gang’?” I looked around at my friends. They nodded their heads all at once, as if planned. In the end, we lost by a mere one goal as the opposing team had a lucky shot on the eleventh hour.

With a demoralised heart, I walked to the corner of the field. I sat there, very disheartened after losing the soccer match. Were we really that bad? I hoped not. After all, my team has always been one of the top few in playing soccer. How could we have lost? I had expected to thrash them! I heaved a weary sigh. Just then, a shadow overcast me. I looked up. It was the boy, Timothy. “Do not lose heart! Persevere! I know you can do it!”

I was not sure what to say. There I was, being encouraged by a boy who had just spat on me in less than 30 minutes ago! I mouthed a thank you and walked away, determined to train harder and give a second shot to beating this new friend I have made. Although Timothy was sure scary outside, but deep down, I know he has a heart that matched his size, as the saying goes, “ Do not judge a book by its’ cover. Now, I just want to improve on my soccer, and like Timothy, encourage other soccer players on.

Words: 529

© Copyright 2013 Mila Rachman (rebecscraps at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1942771-The-surprising-soccer-game