*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1943472-Mother-Modified
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Other · Arts · #1943472
A brief look at the world through my eyes...
I am that girl who receives your impolite dirty looks at the mall. The one you steer your children away from and whisper to your friends about. While I find your shocked and appalled expressions quite hilarious, your opinions about me are backed by nothing but misunderstanding for those who are different. If you knew me, beyond what you see, maybe you wouldn't be so quick to judge.
When you see me, you think to yourself (and sometimes aloud) "how is that girl ever going to get a job?" I'm more than happy to inform you that I have been employed for two years and have already started climbing the corporate ladder. My job is very customer service oriented. I have never had any complaints regarding my attitude, my service, or any other qualities that I possess. So, to the woman who took it upon herself to tell my coworkers that I am "gross" and shouldn't be allowed to work there, please note that I am helping business more than hurting it. I have done nothing to compromise the safety, security, or satisfaction of the people who come to my store.
People can be so cruel to those who they don't even know, for no reason other than their physical differences. This is why I have removed myself from most social networks. I got tired of seeing "you're such a horrible mother," and "I feel bad for your baby, no one should have to grow up with a mom like you." Insults directed at my appearance alone do not affect me at all. I've been called every name in the book, and a few other very creative ones that I hadn't heard before. However, telling me I'm a bad mother simply because I dress a certain way is a bit annoying. Most of the negative comments came from "normal" people, usually younger than me, who had no children.
Anyone who knows me at all will tell you that I am doing everything I can for my children. Though neither of them were anticipated, I am doing my best to provide for them and make sure they grow up happy and healthy. My little girl didn't come into this world and instantly judge me for the way I look. Children aren't born with discriminatory attitudes. They learn it from those around them. Many people think she is scared of me. Children don't fear what is "different". They are very curious little people, and very open-minded, until their parents teach them to cast judgement upon others.
I am going to teach my children that it doesn't matter if you're black, white, or tattooed from head-to-toe, and that jewelry in your face, even in excess, is not a reason to judge. All Ramses knows is that mom is "shinier" than most other people. She doesn't think that facial piercings are scary, because no one has taught her to. When her little sister finally arrives, I'm sure she'll feel the same way. I am not some big scary devil-worshipping creature. I'm their mother. The one who feeds them, bathes them, plays with them, and wipes their tears away when they're upset. How you get "bad parent" out of that is a mystery to me. Body modifications don't make you unfit to raise children. Neglect and abuse do. I wish more people understood that.
© Copyright 2013 Kapitan Lysergicide (metall_spitze at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1943472-Mother-Modified