*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1945465-untitled
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1945465
a work in progress... need affirmation to continue
It was the summer of Lynn’s sixteenth year, when her world changed.  Her older twin sisters were seventeen, Lea and Rose; and her younger sister Lizzie was just fourteen.  On Tuesday nights, their Granpa went to play bingo at the senior center.  This particular evening, Lynn was reading a novel by one of her favorite teen scream horror writers, Rose was channel surfing in the den, and Lea and Lizzie were playing scrabble.  When the door rang at half past 8, Lynn assumed her Granpa had forgotten his key again.  His friend Ralph usually picked him up for bingo and they rode together.  Granpa didn't like to drive since Grams and her mother had died in a car accident three years before.

Rising from her spot on the sofa, Lynn put her book facedown on the coffee table and went to the door.  She was surprised to see a police officer on the other side.  She must have made a sound, although to this day, she can't remember making one, because her sisters all jumped and came to the door.  Within moments, they were rushing to the hospital.  Lea drove Granpas old Cadillac, all four of them frantic to get there in time.  Granpa had collapsed at the senior center.  Ralph called 911, and once the ambulance got there, called their father.  Julian Grant was across the country in Nevada for a conference that was held every year (and the reason why they came to their grandfathers’ every summer). 

"God, I can't stand this," Lizzie whispered.  Without reservation, Lizzie had the closest relationship with their grandfather.  She had the most in common with him as she loved to be outdoors in the garden and taking care of the animals that strayed up to the old house. 

"Hang on, Granpa, we are coming….”  This came from Rose.

"Dammit, the jerk ahead of me could have made that light."  Lea was fighting tears but you could tell she was losing the battle.  Her voice shook as she cursed the driver in the car ahead of them.

"Lynn, do you think Grams is waiting for him?"

Lynn wanted to tell Lizzie that Granpa wasn't going to be with Grams for many years, but she wasn't really sure that was true.  When she opened the door and saw the officer standing there with his cap in his hand, she knew.  The look on the officers' face would stay with her forever. 

"I hope so, Liz, I really do."

***

Officer Nicholas Aarons was new to the job.  He loved everything about being a cop.  Girls loved him in his uniform and he loved the girls.  Tonight was the first time since coming out of the academy that he truly hated something he was told to do.  After the ambulance was on its way to the hospital with George Grant, Nick tried to call the four girls that were staying with George during the summer.  After several attempts to reach the number on file for George, Nick and his partner were sent to deliver the news. 

As he approached the porch, he removed his hat, as was taught in the academy.  This showed respect to the family.  When he knocked on the door, it was answered by the most beautiful young girl that he had ever seen.  Her hair was caught up in a butterfly clip and swirls of it that had escaped flew around her face.  Her eyes were the oddest shade of honey brown and she had a smattering of sun freckles across her nose.  As soon as he started talking, her face fell, and she squeaked out a sound that squeezed his heart in his chest.  Suddenly the other three girls were surrounding her, and within moments, he knew that he was forgotten in their haste to get to their grandfather.

Nick knew that he wouldn't forget the look in Lynn Grant's eyes for a very long time.

***
4 Years later

“Come on, Papa.  One more bite and then I have to get ready”.  Lizzie knew she was rushing him, but she couldn’t be late to her own graduation.  Lynn was coming in from Georgia and she hadn’t seen her since Christmas. 

Ever since her grandfather had a stroke playing bingo he needed help with the small things that most people took for granted.  Some days were better than others, but Lizzie begged her father to leave her with her grandfather so he could stay in his home. 

© Copyright 2013 sweetmaggie (sweetmaggie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1945465-untitled