*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1945541-The-Price-of-Popularity
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by slez
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1945541
Daily Flash Fiction Entry 7/31/13
After talking to HQ, the look on the Sargent's face was grim. He gathered everyone up and looked us each in the eye before speaking.

"Our group has been separated from the main unit, and it's too dangerous to send in choppers. So we are on our own.

"HQ gave me intel on enemy positions, and plan to get out of here. We've got a good chance, but someone needs to stay behind as a diversion. It's an easy job once everything is in place. The only tricky part is the timing, which is crucial. We'll draw lots to see who gets the job."

My body went numb as the Sargent explained the plan. I already knew what I was going to do. My whole life I've been a loser. I was twenty-two years old and never had a girlfriend. I wasn't handsome, smart or good at sports. I was certainly no hero, but for some reason I knew that I had to do this.

I felt strangely calm as the Sargent prepared to draw the lots. Everyone looked so tense and scared except the Sargent, whose steely eyes displayed no emotion. Before I knew it I was speaking, "Hey guys, stop worrying and let me handle it."

"What!" said the Sargent, as everyone turned their shocked faces towards me.

"I'm volunteering for the job."

I was the most popular man in unit while we prepared the diversion, and I was promised all the beer and steak I could eat once I got back. I was given a radio and some provisions, and was told they'd get me as soon as they could. We all knew it was a lie.

Being popular for once sure felt great. To bad I had to pay for it with my life.
© Copyright 2013 slez (slez at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1945541-The-Price-of-Popularity