*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1950101-Shelter-from-the-Rain
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #1950101
A young merman named Elliot is stuck in a rainstorm while he's living in a kiddie pool.
Elliot coiled his tail around the pool wall and folded his arms to block the chill of the falling water above. He turned his bright magenta eyes to the clouds in wary curiosity. Being a rather young member of merfolk, he'd never actually seen rain before. Living on the sea floor, he'd never seen a need to go up to the surface. Whenever there was a storm at sea, his parents would tell him to stay away from the surface to prevent him from getting hurt by massive waves whipped up by storms. Being further inland, Elliot grew very frightened. He didn't know what would happen on land when it rained. If rain could destroy ships out in the ocean, what could it do on the surface?
A flash of light spooked the poor merboy, making him submerge himself in the small pool. After a few moments, Elliot resurfaced with a few clicks of relief. He looked around the back yard with worried eyes. The trees shook violently in the harsh winds and the gray sky above loomed menacingly. Elliot cowered in the tiny kiddie pool, deathly afraid of the rumbling sky.
Cindy peered out the window to see her friend shivering in the rain. He looked so cold and scared, it made her upset that he couldn't fit in the bathtub, where it was warm and out of the rain. She continued to gaze pitifully out at Elliot's large form until her father came up behind her with a mug of hot cocoa in a large travel keg and a big blue umbrella.

"Why don'cha go an' give 'im some cocoa an' a means to keep dry." he told his youngest, giving her the cocoa and umbrella. She smiled and nodded excitedly, making her wavy blonde hair bounce around her face. She set them both down on the coffee table and dashed off to put on her yellow rain coat, hat, and rain boots. After suiting up, she retrieved the objects and bounded out the back door and across the lawn, making little squishes with each step.

"Elliot!" she piped, approaching the pool where her merboy friend was huddled against the rim. He clicked a few times in greeting and grinned at seeing Cindy. She held out the keg of cocoa with both hands out to Elliot, which he accepted and immediately started sipping the delightfully warm drink. She also gave him the umbrella, giving him a bit of shelter from the stinging downpour. The merboy reached a webbed hand out of the water and held it out to Cindy. She giggled and placed her little hand on his larger one. With a series of clicks, he bowed his head in thanks and retracted back into the water to enjoy his drink and the scrap of shelter he so desperately needed.
© Copyright 2013 Alex Arki (pythonpie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1950101-Shelter-from-the-Rain