*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1952866-The-bridge-of-decay
by L.259
Rated: E · Letter/Memo · Inspirational · #1952866
Saturday, March 09, 2013, 7:35:50 PM

The Bridge of Decay

March 9, 2013

"Do you know how it feels like when grains of sand are slipping through your hands? Do you know how it feels like when you're standing in the sun's light without feeling its warmth? "

There is this wood bridge above an endless gap. Ahead, the horizon takes the shape of your every dream. But this is not just a simple bridge. It's called The Bridge of Decay. With your every step, another wood board aligns before your feet. At the same time, if you look back you'll see the bridge disbanding itself. It is impossible to come back, so you must choose wisely the way you'll lead the wood boards. Also, you can't stop moving because the construction of the bridge will stop at the same time as you. All that will remain its one wood board- the one you're standing on.

The longer you'll wait, the darker it will get and when you'll decide to walk again... well, you won't see the boards anymore. The longer you'll wait, the slower the construction will be.

"Can you touch the horizon? Tell me, have you reached it yet?"

Keep your eyes wide open and walk slowly, step by step. Don't let yourself fooled by this unique landscape. Don't let yourself fooled by your own dreams.

"...because I couldn't. I remember perfectly how the rays of the sun were falling down my pale skin as I've been chasing for the horizon. Everything I ever dreamed about was right there, before my blood-shot eyes. Finally, the deserved reward... "

There is this wood bridge above an endless gap. Behind, you can see the wood boards rapidly disintegrating, turning to a dust of splinters. Don't look back for a long time, because wood splinters will pierce your skin, your eyes, leaving permanent scars.

"... I tried to reach it, while my feet were slipping on wet wood boards. I smiled, trying to keep my balance...But suddenly, I found myself running..."

Do I have to mention that this is a one-person journey? Well, don't worry, because everyone gets his own ticket on The Bridge of Decay; a ticket to the horizon.

"...the claws of the fear started to wrap around my heart. I've been running faster than ever... running... running...to...? Then I realized that the horizon is untouchable. I turned around just in time to plunge into a storm of wood splinters."

There is this wood bridge above an endless gap. Turn your head to the right or to the left and you'll see other people walking on their own bridge. Some may try to take your hand; you can lead your boards parallel but when your time to fall will come... well, you'll fall all by yourself.

"...the splinters have dug into my bruised skin, into my flesh. The smell of my dry blood is piercing my nostrils. I lay down, torn by the wood - torn by the past. My broken ribs start to spread pain all over my body as I burst into laugh. "

There is this wood bridge above an endless gap; it's called The Bridge of Decay or just Life, a four letter word that we use to spit out hundred times per day.

"...I've been running faster than ever...running...running...to?"








© Copyright 2013 L.259 (l.259 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1952866-The-bridge-of-decay