*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1953640-The-Last-time-I-ran
by kat
Rated: E · Fiction · Children's · #1953640
an entry for september writing prompt
The last time I ran laughing with joy, I was seven. I watched the parade with my sisters and ran after candy tossed from the floats. The last time I ran I was happy. My dad wanted me to see South Pass City, a ghost town. I still have not seen it but I will never forget the day I was supposed to. When my sister saw the moose as we traveled, we were all excited. We all wanted to get pictures so my dad stopped. My sisters helped me out of the car. We stopped to look both ways. They were bigger and walked faster than I could so I raced to catch up as they walked across the road. I ran ahead full of joy. None of us saw the car until it was too late. The last time I ran; I ran out in front of a car and now I cannot run anymore.

I was seven the last time I ran. My little legs were strong and sure and they carried me. As I raced I heard my sisters scream. I froze and that is when I saw the big black piece of metal coming at me. I know I flew through the air but I don’t remember. I remember waking up in the hospital with my mom next to me. I remember I could not move and I was afraid.

I remember the last time I ran I was happy. Now I have to use a wheelchair to get around. I remember being afraid to sit up for the first time alone. It was hard but I learned how. When I left the hospital I had to learn to live again without my legs. But I was strong and brave and I learned how. My legs do not work. It is who I am now. I remember when I could run but that was a long time ago. I don’t know who I would have become but I know who I am.

The last time I ran my life changed, but I am a strong vibrant girl. I ride my horses Blueboy and Zip. I swim and I play basketball. I do it all from my wheelchair. I am an inspiration to many. I am named after my great grandmother Lillian, she was a strong woman as I will be one day. I am a cowgirl and I love technology. I am a country girl with a heart of gold. I may not be able to run anymore but I can fly. I can ride into tomorrow with purpose and make the world a better place.

© Copyright 2013 kat (katsbooks72 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1953640-The-Last-time-I-ran