*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1954963-Love-Lostand-Found
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1954963
A ship's captain loses his love, but finds another...sort of.
Written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge with a word limit of 300.

The prompts: This story must contain the line: You'll never make it without me.

Love Lost...and Found

“What are you doing with that game-bot?”

The voice tried to be conversational but Tug could sense her fear. He said nothing; keeping focused on the job at hand. After a few minutes he had the RAM upgrade in place along with a protocol bypass that allowed the bot to directly interphase with the ship’s weapon’s systems.

He snapped the back of the game-bot’s panel shut and glanced up at the Big Board. Red dots were everywhere and closing fast.

“Captain, I see what you did there. You’ll never make it without me. “

Her voice brought a tear to the battle hardened man’s eye. He and the ship had been through hell and back over the years. She’d never let him down; never - until now.

He connected a direct cable into the game-bot. No wireless communications here. That was where the virus lurked; in the unseen scramble of electrons floating in the ship’s now contaminated air system. No telling where they had originated; not that it mattered any more. She was infected and thus, lost to him.

The little game-bot swiveled toward him and said, “Ready.”

Tug strapped himself into his battle netting; pausing only a moment to stroke the cold paneling that was “her”.

Once in the netting, he reached out to flip the switch that would wipe her hard drive.

Just before he flipped the switch…

“I’m sorry, Tug. I have always loved you.”

“I know,” he said and then flipped the switch.

Almost immediately, alarms began to sound. Several red lights indicated they were under attack from multiple threats.

“Yeehaaa!” shouted the little bot as it brought ship’s considerable armament to bear on the battle at hand.

Tug smiled as it carved up the enemy.

A new ship AI would cost millions.

An upgraded game-bot…priceless.

Word Count 300

© Copyright 2013 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1954963-Love-Lostand-Found