*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1955366-I-CANT-MAKE-THIS-STUFF-UP
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1955366
Unbelievable
                                          I CAN’T MAKE THIS UP!!



            I was working in the library last Sunday and had the following  conversation with another inmate.

              “I need a book,” he says to me.

            “Okay, what’s the title or subject?” I ask.

            “I don’t know.”

            I blinked at him, already knowing where this was headed.

              “What’s it about?

              “Animals.”

            Sigh. “What kind of animals?”

         â€śUm,” he pauses, thinking hard . Mammals.”

            I lean my head against the bookshelf, really  fighting the urge to bang it in frustration.

         â€śCan you be a little more specific?”          

         â€śLand Mammals,” he says helpfully.

            At this point the guy in line behind him starts to snicker.          

         â€śSo, are you looking for domesticated or wild animals?”

         â€śYes.”

            Fighting back another sigh of disbelief I look at the shelf next to me. “I’ve got books on dogs and horses. Are you interested in either of those?”

         â€śAre they mammals?”

         â€śYeah, pretty sure they are.”

         â€śOkay”

            So I grab a few, including the great book by Temple Grandin, “Why Animals Make Us Human”, and turn to the next person.

         â€śHow about that one?” My brain-dead patron asks before losing my attentions. “What’s that one about?”

            I turn and look at the book, Everything you Ever Wanted to Know About Cats, “This one?”

         â€śYeah. Can you tell me what it’s about?”

            I blink. Then blink again, seriously thinking he’s kidding, then sigh realizing he’s not. “Cats,” I say dryly.

         â€śAre they mammals?”

            My answer was out of my mouth before I could stop myself, “Nope they’re marsupials.”

         â€śOh, okay then.” And he leaves the counter happily.

            I’ve decided that this is where they put the people either too normal or too stupid to survive in a real Federal Prison. At least for the sake of my faith in human intelligence, I hope that’s the case. If not I am shocked that any crime ever succeeds!! And I weep for our education system…and cats.
© Copyright 2013 Writer in Chains (gusraines at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1955366-I-CANT-MAKE-THIS-STUFF-UP