*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1955812-Alex-Rollins
by Merlin
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1955812
Back story of protagonist
~ Alex Rollins ~

By: T. Hollister October 2 2013



         It was cool for Dallas in May, 58F according to the radio. Alex was riding with his mother like he usually did when she went to inspect homes she was going to sell. She was very successful and made a pretty good living at it. Alex gazed out the window of his mother's Tahoe and watched the city begin to fade into suburbs then countryside. He loved the city, the closeness and the people. It was easy to find things to do there. His mom was busy a lot and they tended to move to follow the housing market, so he didn't make a lot of friends. He loved the country too; the open view and clean air were his favorites.
         
         Slowing down and pulling to the side of the road, Alex's mom asked; "Could you find that address for me on those papers dear? I don't remember what road it was on and this is pretty far out." Alex agreed, and looked through the papers and read the address to her.


"Mom, you been out here before? I don't remember this at all." Alex asked.


"No, not this area. Its suppose to be a nice property, but has been vacant for about a year so I need to check it over and see what needs to be done before we list it." She replied with a smile. She loved that he would travel with her, and she home schooled him every day. He was quite bright for 16, and very well mannered.


         Alex resumed his watch out the window thinking how much he loved his mother and how close they had become after his dad had left 3 years ago. Nobody knew why he left or where he went. He simply left a note saying he was sorry and he had to leave. Alex's mother was devastated as was Alex, they never seen it coming. They searched, asked everyone they knew, even had the FBI looking, but nothing was found. Everyone had speculations, but not many voiced them, they all knew how hard it was for Alex and his mother.


         "Oh here's that pesky road!" Alex's mother exclaimed as she turned down a private road. "Hmm, glad we have the truck, this road hasn't seen a lot of traffic." She muttered and she avoided deep holes and ruts. Alex wondered what kind of house was way out here. It was suppose to be quite the place but if this road was any indication...


Alex's thoughts were disrupted as his mother bounced hard through a couple deep furrows. "Damn!" she exclaimed then her face for red and she quickly said, "Sorry Alex, I didn't mean that. The rut was worse than I thought." "It's ok mom, I understand." She seldom cursed, and when she did it was always a surprise to both of them.


         The black SUV rolled to a stop in front of a large 3-story farmhouse. It was white with black shutters that were closed over the windows. The property looked large, rolling and once was beautiful. Now it was unkempt and lackluster.


         "Well, shall we take a look around?" Alex's mother said with a smile. She loved looking these older properties over as much as he did. He loved exploring and this would be a new experience.


         They got out and walked around the yard noting the out buildings and condition of the yard. Other than some paint and a good mowing it was all in pretty good repair. "They said the house was furnished and everything goes with it. They would like us to make some recommendations if anything should be removed or not."


Alex smiled, that was always fun, as he got to examine old stuff left in houses and poke around and see things he hadn't before. Occasionally his mom would purchase items left behind. She had bought a very pretty table in the last house that he loved.


         They walked up to the front door, Alex's mom dug through her purse for the keys. "I Know I have them here, they have a green tag on them."


Alex curiously turned the knob and the door clicked and creaked open.


Alex's mom looked up with surprise, "Oh that's not right, they assured me it was locked up tight." With a look of concern, she gently pushed the door open and peered inside.


         "Hello?" he called cautiously into the darkness. No reply. Alex didn't like this at all. He had a deep feeling of dread and concern. "Mom lets just go and come back some other time. This doesn't feel right."


"I agree son, but we are here and we can make it quick. It was a long drive out here to turn around over some goose bumps."


She rummaged in her purse again and pulled out the compact flashlight she always carried. Clicking it on the high-powered LED light split through the darkness and illuminated a room full of furniture, some was cover, and most wasn't but had been. Footprints covered the floor in the dust and obvious signs of people having been there recently were all over the place. "Oh dear, I'm going to call the sheriff and get him out here." She dialed the phone and waited for the sheriff's office to pick up.


"Sheriffs Office. How may I help you?" Came the voice of a young lady on the other end. "This is Tammy Rollins, I'm appraising a property on FM433 and there seems to have been a break in."


"You mean the old Willis Farm? I will send an officer right out ma'am. Can you stay there and meet him? Have you seen anyone still there?" the dispatcher asked.


"Yes that's the place, and I can wait. We haven't seen anyone at all, just tracks and refuse scattered in the house."


"Ok, Ms. Rollins we have a deputy on the way now."


"Do you have an ETA for him?" Tammy asked looking around again. "Let me ask him how far out he is, one moment."


"Ok." Tammy replied.


         A scuff and a loud click caused Tammy and Alex to spin around startled to see two men hiding in the kitchen doorway. "Now you went and messed everything up. We dun claimed this place as ours, and your trespassing!" The larger of the two men shouted at them. He stepped forward into the bright light from the flashlight Tammy had dropped on the floor in surprise. The light glinted cruelly off the barrel of the handgun he had.


"Why did you have to go and call the cops, bitch?!" he exclaimed angrily. "You should have left well enough alone!" He took another step towards them. The smaller man stepped forward a cautious step and spoke in a frail little voice; "Don't hurt them, just make em leave Todd."


"Shut up!" Todd shouted at him and knocked him to the floor. Alex finally able to move grabbed his mom's arm and gently pulled it towards the door. "Mom, lets just go. Let them have the place."


"I don't think they will let us go." She whispered back with a quiver in her voice. Alex could see the fear in her eyes and became very afraid.


Todd was busy reprimanding the little man about interrupting his business and Tammy pushed Alex out the door screaming, "RUN!! RUN ALEX!!"


Alex didn't know what else to do and figured she was right behind him, so he ran up the drive towards the road. He could see lights ahead, red and blue flashing lights! It was the sheriff! They were saved!


The sheriff saw Alex running and sped up to meet him. Just as the cruiser slowed to a halt and the doors opened they heard the gunshot. It was loud and sounded of death and horror to Alex. "MOM!" Alex screamed and turned back towards the house half expecting to see her running towards him. She wasn't there. The sheriff was already running towards the house with his gun drawn and on the radio screaming for back-up, shots fired and to send an ambulance. Alex raced towards the house when the second deputy grabbed him from behind knocking him to the ground.


"NO! Stay here, let us handle this!" He yelled at Alex. A second shot rang out from the house then a third and a fourth, then silence.


"This is sheriff Grady, where's that ambulance?! I have a woman shot here, get it here NOW!" Came over the deputy's radio.


Alex's heart sank, "Mom!" he called out weakly.


Struggling against the deputy he yelled, "I have to go see her! Let me go!"


"No, stay here for now, just wait a moment for the sheriff to say its clear." The deputy replied. "Doug, get up here! Both suspects are dead, help me sweep the rest of the house and help this lady."


Alex was off like a shot towards the house, he barely touched a step as he flew through the front door. Spotting his mother where he had left her, but now she was lying on the floor in a pool of blood. He sat down beside her grabbing her hand calling out to her, "MOM! Mom, you ok? Mom!"


She opened her eyes a little and looked at him, "Alex, I love you." then the light faded from her eyes and she went limp in his hands.


"NOOO!" Alex screamed "NOOOO!"


         Three months later, Alex was standing on the porch of his foster home. He hated it here. They didn't like him much either but it was money in their pockets so they tolerated him. Since his mother had died, he had been in 4 different foster homes; the first was an emergency placement. They wanted to help him but they were already over capacity so the state moved him to another. They had a daughter who was also a foster, and accused Alex of things he never did so the family requested he be moved again. The third was better but the mother fell very ill and they had to place all the foster children in other homes.


This home was the worst, it was out in the middle of nowhere, some town called Gilmer. They paid no attention to him or did anything for him here. If he wanted clean clothes or food it was all up to him to take care of. He was always in trouble for something and would go out a lot and explore the neighborhood and woods. They never complained about the absence, it simply meant they didn't have to look at him.


Alex didn't see himself staying here much longer. He was planning to leave on his own, "To hell with this." Alex muttered to himself as he planned out his escape and gazed into the night.

© Copyright 2013 Merlin (t.hollister at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1955812-Alex-Rollins