*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1956901-Shine
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Letter/Memo · Spiritual · #1956901
A meditation on how we leave our legacies.
When you wish upon a star, what are you wishing to? A bright light in the sky? Perhaps you're wishing toward a deity that created such a wonderful and terrifying thought? The thought that you're a small piece of a vast universe that seems unending. Maybe you wish to try and fathom the unfathomable concept of just how minuscule you are? I once had a pastor that said we are fools to think God could be boxed up inside of a church. We are fools to think we could ever comprehend even one thousandth of how great Gods love and reach spans. So what does it mean to be wise?

When you wish upon a star, what are you wishing to? Do you realize that that distant light in the sky is fleeting? You wish toward a celestial body that has most likely been dead for a longer time than you will ever exist. Yet WE wish. When we have knowledge of our surroundings, what does it mean to still wish? To push forward with our cries for help - our wants and desires. We wish for the strength to hope for better lives, but a wish can be born from the smallest flicker of hope. Like a fire that seems long dead - a single ember can be fanned into a roaring fire that ignites the hope of a freezing wanderer miles away.

When you wish upon a star, you wish toward the past. You wish toward a light that might be extinguished. A light that may have been hospitable tens of thousands of years before. It's hard to look into the past and think that, on a cosmic scale at least, it wasn't too long ago that you were happy. You were modest yet full of life. You were warm and content. Now it may seem like a black hole has consumed you while you wish upon that star. There is no light to show the universe that you were here.

In a chaotic universe, there can be symmetry. Why do you wish for the strength to keep hoping that one day things will get better? You wish - WE wish because we don't want to end on a dim note. We know there will be better days, if not for us than for our posterity. It's our job to keep wishing, and perhaps our hope will stay alive long after we're gone. We wish upon stars because they give us the strength to act. Hope will always spark action. Maybe that action will shine forth across the galaxy and inspire somebody on the other end of the chaos to dream.
© Copyright 2013 smikeb04 (smikeb04 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1956901-Shine