*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1957148-TRADITION---confused-superstition
Rated: E · Article · Cultural · #1957148
What old people mean and what we think they are?
Here what i write is straight from my head, with some timely intervention from my friends.



Tradition was formed from a set-up, i would call it superstitious, if you don't know the reason. A tradition may be of watering a Tulasi plant or putting a toothbrush upside down. In the former case of tradition, one is able to draw a scientific reason and in other one may call it a mere superstition.



One can find, as a flip of a coin, find good and bad side, it is just a matter of perspective that one can argue about it's pros and cons. Looking from a broader perspective, what i would like to comment is that, tradition without scientific understanding is a waste.



In 20th century, World urged for scientific explanation in every aspect of life. There was a strong conversion from belief to proof. I have a strong feeling that these transition has given people a bitter taste for faith. The old saying faith can move mountains was described an utter nonsense to many. This period has also witnessed to some revolutionary ideas like Communism, Aestheticism etc. These ideas brought change much to world. But i believe these ideas however, did not recognize the scientific ideas of tradition. The people who could explain the idea of these tradition would not speak and those those who speak doesn't have the full knowledge of it. I have seen many people winning over old traditionalist with there so called intellectual and scientific thinking. But did they win? I don't think so!



The essence was unknown to many unless they are ready to go for it. Unless they want to experience it. Words can never be a substitute for experience. This is the reason, which I think, may couldn't give a explanation for many traditional ritual and process. The explanation in words are hard and bizarre, because these are experience converted to words. Chocolate is sweet, so sweet. Have you taken sugar? But wait, there is bit of bitterness to it also which makes it special. Can you take guess of how chocolate is? unless you taste it with your tongue? So the people who couldn't experience didn't make an effort to learn these absurd thing. How can they? They didn't make any sense at all. How much can they mug up?



People just started following it. But problem was here - a father used to put this wig inside a cotton cloth on the top of a shelf before he went to bed. The son did the same, seeing his father. The grand child did the same when he was that old, seeing from his grand father and father. Now his child when kept his wig inside a silk cloth on the toilet, there was the problem, and it is tradition.



This is why tradition needs to be learned and understood, or else should be experienced which i don't know how today's world will take it? Of course tradition is one that should be modified with time and space.



But the question comes, who can modify it? The answer to this question might have solved all the problems we ever had? You need Somebody who has experienced it all. To all the questions for which He has the answer.  To find the Person you need faith and a good ear to listen to your heart. I am talking about none but your own consciousness. That which is the witness to all is your Consciousness. How do we listen to it? The key is to keep our heart clean and have patience to listen to it. Or in other words, service and meditation. You don't need to be a rishi, saint or prophet to serve and meditate. Listen to something that is with you all the time is meditation. And that service born out of an unconditional love to all makes this possible.



What more can i say when all that i say is not i but we? Isn't there something common with all humans? something common with all the living beings? something common with every single substance? That which is common is everything is the truth, and that is the consciousness. This is the ever lasting joy and peace. It is nothing but bliss. I have seen a glimpse.
© Copyright 2013 gobind.gopal (gobind.gopal at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1957148-TRADITION---confused-superstition