*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1957158-We-All-Have-Our-Demons
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Other · Dark · #1957158
A young woman's personal demons.
The moonlight pushed gently throughout he flimsy curtains, giving a pale glow to the small room. It was an especially quiet night. The only sound was the rapid intense breaths Maria took as she lay in bed, the covers up to her chest. The filtered moonlight gave her mixed complexion a ghostly overtone.

Each breath came fast through gritted teeth. Her right hand clenched the small golden locket that hung Arne her neck on an unusually thick chain, for feminine jewellery. She tightened her grip on it as she stared at the ceiling with wide eyes.

She tried to think of the lockers previous owner, her grandmother, and how she had adored her, and been adored by her. That feeling gave her strength, sometimes. Tonight, though, Maria knew it would not be enough. Her eyes started to shake, as exhaustion pulled at a her eyelids. Her breathing quickened further, as she knew the time was drawing closer.

She could feel them so strongly she could almost perceive their presence. Hovering around her every day. Like vultures, they would bide their time. Waiting for the moment to strike, when her defences would be down.

They say we all have our demons. Maria knows this is more than just a saying. All the dark emotions in our lives are caused by demons. Anxiety, sadness, guilt, depression, fear, anger, hate, etc.

The stronger the feeling, the more demons taking hold of you, filling you up with darkness. The feed on the emotions that they create in us. And they take joy in the pain it causes.

Maria was lucky though, as her grandmother had given her something to protect her. The locket, filled with a lifetime of happy memories, passed down to a young girl to add her own happiness to. Even know, over a decade later, Maria clutches the locket and smiles every time she feels happy, no matter how insignificant the joy at the time.

That happiness is what keeps her demons in check. During the day at least. But at night, when exhaustion finally takes her, and it always does, they come flooding in. And when you dream, that's where they really shine. Dreams are the demons playground. And how easily they make rotten the happiest of dreams.

Maria cannot recall the last peaceful nights sleep she got. As the number of night without a full sleep grows, so too does the strain on her during the day. Maria knows it is only a matter of time before the strain becomes too much. Maria knows this, as do her demons.

Maria feels her eyelids close, and tears fall, as the darkness envelops her, and they attack from within.
© Copyright 2013 KMorrin (kmorrin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1957158-We-All-Have-Our-Demons