*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1957169-Protecting-the-Precious
by L. Sun
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Family · #1957169
A story about familial conflict.
         "Nana, Nana!" I shouted as I ran through the front door.
         "I'm going to the store to grab some candies for Beth!" Nana nodded in response at my sudden outburst. I continued on my way to the sidewalk and passed by Cayenne Lane. Greeting a few of the shop owners that I saw every day, I entered the store. The smell of freshly baked cookies and chocolate fudge filled the air. Pulled taffy and sour gems filled the bins with silver scoops hanging down by plastic coils. The glass display case was filled with moist cakes covered in rich fondant and sugary roses. Taking a deep whiff of the aromas, I felt like I was in heaven. My mouth started watering at the mere sight of the salted caramels that lined the shelf. Oh how sweet that would taste as I pulled it apart and let each decadent piece melt slowly in my mouth... The next thing I knew, I was reaching my hand towards the bowl to just feel the treat.
         "NO!" I yelled. At that moment, everyone in the store looked over curiously to see who had disrupted the gentle peace of the small store.
         "I, uh, dropped my quarter down the crack? Ah, yes! That's what happened! I dropped my last quarter down the crack and now I only have enough money to buy my sister candy. Yes, that's it!" I grinned like a maniac at everyone staring. Some of the adults rolled their eyes at the unlikely story. Others raised an eyebrow and went back to what they were doing. Whew. That was close. I felt a tug on my jeans and looked down. Sophia, a 5 year-old girl who lived down my street, was clutching my pants like there was no tomorrow. Plucking her thumb out of her mouth, she spoke words that would make me feel like the biggest idiot ever.
         "But Alex, there are no cracks in the ground." I looked down and sure enough, the ground was made of worn carpet. Sophie stared at me with wide eyes as I felt blood rush to my face in embarrassment.
"Alex...why do you look like Uncle Mason after he drank that stinky red juice at the Christmas party last week?" I couldn't help but chuckle at Soph's choice of words. That's just like Beth... I groaned and then grinned as I remembered that I had a seven year-old to pick up from the park.
"Go find your mommy, Soph." She flashed a smile at me and ran towards her mom near the window.
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

         I stepped out of the store with a feeling of satisfaction. I had bought myself a box of caramel, and got Beth a bag of her favorite strawberry chews with a pink and gold ribbon wrapped around the top. I imagined how her face would light up like stars and what the excited squeal of a seven year-old would sound like. I smiled in happiness; the sun was shining down on our town and made the tulips and daisies glow. Pure blue and gorgeous, the sky was filled with a slight breeze that gave you relief from the sun's rays. All in all, it was a perfect day.
         "AND IT'S TOUCHDOWN!!!!!" Mr. Anderson was playing football with his son on the soft grass belonging to their lawn. Play toys and small cars were scattered around the front, illuminated by the sun's brilliant rays. His daughter was dressed in a fluffy pink tutu and was cheering them on at the sidelines. I never got to play like that. At this thought, feelings of loneliness and confusion filled my mind. I never knew Dad. He left Mom when he found out that Mom was pregnant with me. I guess he just did not have the heart to raise a family and settle down. Mom used to always tell me stories of how Dad could just never stay in one place. One day he would be here in Cape Cod and the next he would be on his way to Miami. It was always hard for him to have a relationship with his constant movement, but Mom somehow made it work. Skype, email, phone calls, and even letters helped them stay in touch. Whenever he was in town, they made the most of it by going on dates constantly. That's why he left us. He thought a family would slow him down and keep him forever chained in one place. I can hear her voice whispering in my ear, weighed down by grief and suffering. And for this, I can't help but feel guilty for splitting them up. She always said that it wasn't my fault. That it was him and not me. Looking up, I would see the constant worry in her eyes and I assured her that I understood. Of course, I didn't. What kind of seven year-old would?
About a year later, I ended up experiencing a day when the Fates had to cut a string in order to create a new one.
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

         Something wet was on my face. Reaching up, I felt a water-like substance streaming down my face. When I tasted it, I realized that I have been crying. It's not manly to cry! I need to wipe off these tears before any of the girls see me. Oh the pain. Oh the AGONYYY! Smiling, I cleared my eyes of their little rain and walked to a bench to eat my caramels. The newly furnished playground was gleaming with small children and decorated with boughs of laughter like little chimes in the wind. Beth looked up and started running towards me from her little play date in the park.
         She stumbled over her words, speaking so fast that her sentences were blurred together. "ALEX!!! I had the BEST DAY EVER! Emmy and I went to the playground and I showed her how to play on the monkey bars and then we went to the sandbox after that and caught a very spotted blue butterfly and made a castle for the butterfly but then it ended up flying away and then we were sad that the butterfly escaped but then Emmy's mom got us some ice cream and that made it the bes-EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKK!" So she finally saw the candy. Beth continued squealing and started hopping like a bunny screaming phrases such as 'I love you!', 'You're the best brother EVER!' and 'GIVE ME.'. I laughed and handed Beth her gift and ruffled the brown curls that perfectly framed her lavender eyes. She grinned and ran towards a tree to eat her candy.
         She looks just like mom. I smiled sadly and thought about the night she was born. I had remembered so much as an eight year-old. For instance, it was a beautiful day, one very similar to today. Mom had gone to the hospital with soon-to-be Beth and was crying bloody murder at everyone who pitied her and felt sympathy for the poor mother. Well, more like the richest mother on all Earth, she used to say.
         "Even if you do cause me to feel pain like this, it will never get in the way of my love for you and your sister. You two are the world to me and I would go through this tenfold to protect you, my love." I smiled then, not understanding why Mom was saying this but knowing that if I pretended, she would be happy. Gosh, I was such an idiot back then. I never truly understood her fierce protection over my future sister and me. It was always an act that was taken for granted, like the house I lived in and the activities I joined. My eyes glistened as I thought about the extra work Mom had to do in order to pay for the expensive teams that I had joined.
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

         Not even minutes after Beth was born, Mom went into cardiac arrest. "Cardac awest?" I asked. Nana walked me gently to a corner and decided to put an end to my confusion.
         "Sweetie, you know that Mommy has a weak heart, right?" I nodded, clips of hospital trips flashing in my head like a movie. "Well, Mommy's heart has been very strong for you all this time, but now it's too tired to go on." As the child I was, I was still extremely confused.
         "Mommy's heart is too tired? But Mommy said herself that Mommy's heart will always stay strong and will never say bye-bye!" I whispered with my voice filled with fear and passion.
         "Honey, you have got to listen to me. Mommy is going bye-bye to heaven. She loves you and doesn't want to leave you but you ha-"
         "NO! Mommy is never leaving me! She said that she loves me and will never go away. Mommy says that she will protect me. How will she protect me if she's in heaven? She can't! She said it was her job to love and protect Beth and me. She hasn't had the chance to love Beth! Mommy isn't leaving. She isn't. SHE ISN'T!" Tears streamed down my face as I screamed at the top of my lungs. Nana looked away; the pangs in her own heart were too painful as her beloved daughter was saying goodbye to this world.
         "Miss? The patient would like to talk to her son." The doctor showed no emotion or connection to the current situation. His face displayed nothing to the point where one could be considered talking to a robot. Nana turned towards me and nodded solemnly, knowing where the conversation would go. The first thing I saw was the bundle of joy placed in a fluffy, pink blanket on Mom's lap. Her face was serene during her sleep, as if dreaming about sheer happiness and joy. The second thing I noticed was the agony that shown through the wrinkles of worry.
         "Alex. The name itself means protector. And that's what you are. You are the protector of your sister and all things that make her blissful and calm. Take care of your sister. Promise me, Alex. Promise me that you will keep her safe and happy for the rest of her life. But do not throw yourself carelessly into situations that would hurt you or your feelings. Promise me this, Alex, and I will be able to move on peacefully without a worry in my heart." I was shocked. Never has anyone seen her without her constant burdens that weighed down her thoughts. She always seemed so tired that I promised, with the sole purpose of ridding her of her pain. "I love you, Alex. I always have. Now lo-"
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

         A shrill, blood-curdling scream broke my thoughts. I looked around to find the source of the noise, but instead noticed what I didn't see. Beth. She wasn't under the tree's arms anymore. I searched for her, running around and screaming her name. Glittering barrettes were scattered across the sidewalk with droplets of blood staining the cement for years to come. Then I froze, paralyzed with fear. The precious curls were roughly chopped and thrown carelessly along the floor of the alley. She was bound at the hands with a gleaming knife pressed against the curve of her neck. A scarred hand gripped the knife harder, leaving a bead of red fluid trickling down her body. The mangled face shone with malice and hatred as the pitch black eyes stared me down.
         "Help me, Alex!" That shattered my frozen state and I tackled. The man looked surprised and loosened his grip on his knife. Beth flew to the ground and ran to the corner of the wall, unsure if she should take fight or flight. Climbing to his reign of terror once more, the man stood up with ease. His nasty smile spoke of his intent to kill and destroy.
         "Beth, run. Go to Nana. If you do, I'll give you some more chews for later."
         "Promise?"
         I hesitated. I didn't want to promise something that I couldn't guarantee, but if it were for her own safety, I would do anything. "Yes. I promise."
         Beth took my word and started running. The man started walking towards me and seemed to forget all interest in taking Beth's life. I threw punches and tried to tackle him once more, but he was stronger than anyone I have ever met in my life. I ended up on the ground with extreme discomfort in my chest. It was getting harder to breathe. My hands were shaking as I wiped the warm blood off of my broken lip and tenderly touched my broken nose. The man came up to me and raised the knife above my heart. I'm sorry, Beth. Be a good little girl. I'll see you again someday. Smiling with a hint of sadness, I closed my eyes.
         "Good bye, son." The man whispered in my ear making me shiver before I entered pure darkness.
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

         A small boy witnessed the death and awaited a moment when he could escape the darkness of the trash cans. He trembled and shook as he was surrounded by the intensity of seeing his first killing. Backing into the jagged wall, the boy tripped on a pebble and clashed against the cans, making one fall and revealing his small hiding spot. The man turned and walked slowly towards him, blade coated in fresh blood and hungry for more.
         

© Copyright 2013 L. Sun (lssun at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1957169-Protecting-the-Precious