*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1958412-Lesson-4---Writing-Assignment
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jordi
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1958412
Writing assignment
Mist swirled around the temple ruins, silver tendrils winding their way around the crumbling pillars like silken ribbons. Peering through clouds, the soft glow of the full moon illuminated the rubble strewn ground as Caillen reined his stallion to halt. He glanced around, his amber eyes searching into the shrouded ruins for signs he was not alone in this once hallowed place.

Ahead of him he saw Leto waiting by the broken altar, a ragged cloak draped around his shoulders to ward of the chill of the evening air. Dismounting, he dropped the reins to the floor, knowing the stallion would hold his position. His hands reached up to straighten the collar of his great coat, subtly checking that the sword sheathed on his back had free movement should he need to draw it. Long, supple fingers tugged at the cuffs of his coat, feeling the slight weight of the knives hidden within the sleeves.

Satisfied that his weapons could be drawn easily he advanced towards the temple, his ears tuned in to the sounds of the night around him. He observed Leto straighten as he saw his approach, his eyes glancing around the ruins before settling on Caillen’s tall figure. A slight hint of a smile tugged at Caillen’s firm lips. Leto hadn’t come to the ruins on his own despite his instruction to Caillen earlier that day.

“Caillen. You came alone?” Leto’s voice was a hoarse whisper, a leftover reminder from when he was almost strangled to death.

“As you requested. You have the stone?”

“You have my money?”

Caillen removed the small leather bag of gold coins from his pocket and held it in his hand. “The stone for the money.”

Leto licked his lips as he stared the bulging bag. The coins in Caillen’s possession would allow him to leave this godforsaken land and live a life of luxury that had previously been denied him. He reached out his hand, a small, smooth jewel lying in his grubby palm. As Caillen took the stone he snatched the bag of coins and held it close to him.

“You done?” he asked, watching as Caillen stared at the stone in the moonlight.

Caillen said nothing, just pocketing the stone in the pocket the coins had come from. He gave a brief nod to Leto, acknowledging the conclusion of their business. Leto smiled, a cold hard smile born from someone who had lived a hard life and saw a way out to a better life. “No,” he whispered. “You are done. NOW!”

Caillen growled low in his throat as he twisted his body away from the path of the arrow hurtling towards him. Out of the corner of his eye he saw a hooded assassin leap out from behind a pillar, a long bladed knife in his hand glinting in the moonlight. His eyes flashed with anger as he reached for the sword at his back. The beast within him growled as the knife scored along his raised forearm, causing a thin stream of blood to trickle along his arm.

With a deathly grace the sword arced towards the assassin, the cold steel biting deep into his warm flesh towards his heart. The man’s eyes opened wide as he saw the red flames circling the icy amber eyes that stared back at him. His lips opened but his words drowned in the blood bubbling out of his mouth.

Caillen turned away before the man’s dead body slumped to the ground, his eyes already seeking out the retreating form of Leto as he scurried through the ruins. “Leto!” His voice was a harsh growl that echoed throughout the ruins. Leto stopped, his feet frozen to the floor as terror seeped into his bones. He turned and watched pale faced as Caillen walked towards him with purposeful strides, his sword held at his side, the blade glinting redly in the moonlight.

“You should have just accepted the payment and left, Leto.” Caillen’s voice was like ice, tiny shards stabbing at Leto.

“You didn’t think I’d let you leave with the stone, did you, Caillen? After what I had to go through to take it?” Leto’s voice was filled with false bravado as he fidgeted before Caillen. “You’ll be dead before you take another breath.”

“Really? I feel very much alive standing here.” A chilling smile crossed Caillen’s rugged features. “Unlike your friends who are very much dead.”

Leto’s head whipped around as he sought out his companions hidden amongst the ruins. A whimper escaped him as he saw Caillen’s companions step out from the shadows, their weapons held loosely in their hands.

“You didn’t come alone,” he whispered, all his bravado evaporating like the mist around him.
© Copyright 2013 Jordi (jordib at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1958412-Lesson-4---Writing-Assignment