*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1959390-Gypsy-Haunting
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Occult · #1959390
A group of Irishmen scare a young american with tales of ghosts and magic.

Gypsy Haunting

By: Sheridan Kerr


After dinner, our host, who was then renting the place, told us that the house was said to be the home of Killian O'Leary. Everyone gasped. Some ran to the window and stared down toward the river.

"Who is Killian O'Leary?" I asked with confusion.

"And who might you be, Laddie?" Our host looked at me with wide eyes as he spoke.

"I'm sorry Jamie," Uncle Ryan said as he crossed the room. "This is Thomas, my sister's boy from America."

"Well sit down and I'll tell ya." He paused to take a large swig of cider. "Killian O'Leary was a wealthy Baron. He was greedy and mean, and hated by everyone. He lived here in this very house, and every night he would watch the sun set over the river. And one night, he looked out and saw an angel."

"Amria was the daughter of an Irish traveler, a gypsy." Uncle Ryan chimed in, "She was young and beautiful and betrothed to a lad named Sean."

"Who's telling this story Rye?" Jamie slugged Uncle Ryan in the shoulder, and then continued, "The Gypsy tribe had set up camp at the river's edge, and Amria went to fetch water. That is when Killian saw her, and wanted her. He went to claim his bride, with the offer of twenty pounds, but her father said "No!" Killian was furious, and he vowed revenge."

Jamie stopped strolled to the window. He waved me over to look with him.

"Look, see over there where the berries grow?" He pointed at a large blackberry patch near the river. "That is where he set up his trap. He knew she'd come for some berries, and so he waited just out of view."

I took one more glance before Jamie led me over by the fire. He finished off the last of his cider, and sat down. I sat down next to him, and he continued.

"She came just before sunset. As she picked berries, she moved closer to the evil Baron. As soon as she was shielded from sight, he grabbed her." Jamie jumped up and grabbed my arm. The room roared with laughter as I fell of from the stool.

"Down by the river, Sean heard her scream, and ran to her. But, Killian was prepared for that, and when Sean appeared, Killian plunged a knife straight into his heart. Amria screamed, and broke free from his grasp. She ran to the river, but he caught her, and pulled her into the river. He pushed her under the water and held her there. With her final breath she cursed him." He filled his glass and took another swig of cider.

"The curse, it cost him everything. Within a year he was penniless. He also claimed to have seen her ghost, and the visions drove him mad. "One year later, He went to the barn of his old house, this house, and hung himself from the rafters." "It is said, every year on All Hallow's Eve, the ghosts roams these grounds."

"That's a great story" I said with excitement.

"This is a true story. Amria was the sister of my Grandfather." Jamie said as he grabbed my arm. "Be careful when you leave tonight."

I chuckled to myself at the silly old man. I knew ghosts weren't real. Still, it was a good story.

Several hours later, I stepped out the door and was horrified at what I saw. Down by the river, floating along the river's edge was a beautiful girl and her true love. They glowed so brightly, there could be no mistake. It was Amria and Sean, reunited at last.

© Copyright 2013 Sheridan Kerr (sheridan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1959390-Gypsy-Haunting