*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1964414-The-Crossing
Rated: 13+ · Other · Action/Adventure · #1964414
Laisa must face her greatest fear or die at the hands of her enemies.

Laisa stood before the rope bridge, her heart racing at the thought of crossing it. Many a night she had prayed this day would never come, but now their enemy, The Druin, were here and to survive the death and destruction they brought, she must cross the bridge. Yet, to attempt such a crossing surely meant her death.

Watching the others cross did nothing to ease her fears. The bridge swayed and sagged with their weight, its creaking and moaning filling her heart with dread. Surely it would collapse the moment she reached the middle, throwing her into the whitewater that swirled below.

From behind she heard the yells and cries of The Druin as they mercilessly destroyed her village. The time was now, she must cross before they arrived.

With trembling hands she wiped the sweat from her eyes and took her firsts steps onto the bridge. The boards creaked with a sickening sound that sent chills down her spine. She grasped the ropes at her side and took a few more hesitant steps, each board bending with her weight. Laisa took a deep breath. As she exhaled, the sounds of the enemy grew louder, they were nearing the bridge.

Slowly she made her way across, her dress, wet from sweat, sticking to her body. She never once looked at the rushing river below, her eyes stayed fixed straight ahead, focused on the other side. As she neared the middle, a steady wind began to blow and the bridge started to sway. Laisa froze in place, gripping the ropes so tight that they cut into her hands. Her stomach turned and her knees grew weak. Chills raced across her body as she was paralyzed with a fear that gripped her whole being. She looked across the bridge for help, but none was there. Where had they gone? Where was her family? It was then that she heard the dreaded sound of voices from behind, The Druins were here.

She forced herself to look over her shoulder and saw two men standing at the foot of the bridge. They glared across at her, lustful, wicked smiles on their faces. Her mind raced, she had to move now or things more horrible than death awaited her at the hands of these men.

The first Druin stepped onto the bridge, followed by the second. Slowly they started across. Their prey was in sight and soon they would feast on her.

The bridge creaked loudly under the added weight and the swaying increased. Laisa tried to force her legs to move, but they wouldn't respond. She painstakingly inched her way along.

The men were beginning to close in, when, from the far side of the bridge, Laisa heard a call. Looking up, she saw her sister Miarta step onto the bridge and begin to cross. Her father stood at the edge of the canyon, bow in hand, ready to fire when the men came in range. Miarta was small and light, she moved quickly across the bridge and was soon with Laisa. The two joined hands, but Laisa's fear was strong and prevented her from moving to fast.

The enemy had now passed half way and were within feet of the girls. The thought of jumping ran through Laisa's head. Death by drowning would be better than what these lecherous killers had planned. Suddenly Miarta grabbed Laisa's shoulders and pushed her down as an arrow whizzed overhead. The lead man clutched at the arrow protruding from his chest and fell from the bridge into the river below. Another arrow soon followed and entered the chest of the second Druin. But instead of falling as the first had, he fell towards Laisa and lunged, grabbing her leg. He held her leg tightly and began to roll off the bridge, taking her with him. Miarta reacted with cat like finesse, diving across Laisa and impaling her knife deep into his arm. The man roared, let go of Laisa's leg, and fell into the river.

Miarta rose to her feet and pulled Laisa up. They had to get across the bridge before more men arrived. They could already hear them close by. The bridge had to be destroyed.

Laisa's paralyzing fear had loosened its grip, and with Miarta steadying her, she was able to walk across the bridge. Soon they were standing on the far side and their father began cutting through the support ropes. Just as the enemy appeared from the trees, the ropes severed and half of the bridge fell into the river with a mighty crash. The other half dangled from the far bank, useless. They were safe for now.

Laisa, Miarta and their father ran to rejoin the others. Soon they would began their trek to find a new land where they could rebuild their village and continue their peaceful existence.



© Copyright 2013 SBourelle (rukind at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1964414-The-Crossing