*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1964825-ARTHUR-MERLIN-The-One-and-Only
by Sahara
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1964825
Chapter 1 of an adult adventure about Excalibur and The Lady of the Lake.
ARTHUR MERLIN: The one and Only

CHAPTER ONE

Friday, June 9, 1987.  Institute of Psychic Research, London, England

         "I have no idea why you get so adamant about this, Dr. Tober", Dr. Ruth Burns said, standing with arms crossed, tapping one expensive gray pump in frustration.  She was a tall, thin woman wearing a white lab-coat and a conservative, gray pinstriped skirt, talking with a shorter man who had large soft brown eyes, made even larger by the coke-bottle lenses of his glasses.
         "As I've told you before Dr. Burns," The man in a rumpled, brown suit stressed impatiently, "having multiply psychic abilities is only theoretical.  We have never found clinical proof that a person can have multiply paranormal abilities.  And the few people we have found with just one of the abilities are sad specimens, indeed."
         "Commander Dobie seems perfectly satisfied with the results from William and Halvorson." The lady said with a trace of annoyance in her soft, cultured voice.  "And after all, he is in charge of the Institute, sir,"
         "Yes, quite Doctor, as he is so fond of reminding me."  Annoyed, he picked up some reports and headed toward a door.  "Should anyone need me Doctor, I'll be in my office."
         Being dismissed, Ruth strode lightly to her workstation, sat down and crossed her long, thoroughbred legs.  She picked up a gold-plated pen and started doodling in frustration on a yellow legal pad.
         Another voice quietly reprimanded her from the far corner of the room.  "You shouldn't keep reminding Dr. Tober about Commander Dobie, Ruth.  You know how upset he becomes over bureaucrats and their paperwork."  This man was short and round, with curly blonde hair and periwinkle eyes.  He waddled over to her workstation and continued, "I can understand your place here Ruth, the pressure of trying to find the perfect specimen with multiple abilities, when we know perfectly well that if such a person truly existed, we'd never know of his existence."
         "Yes, Gordy." She agreed with a soft, resigned sigh. "And if we did, the person would have so much psychic power that they couldn't possibly be controlled, not by us anyway."


         For the last half hour I'd been standing in the laboratory, eavesdropping on the Doctors.  Using what I termed my 'Almost Mode'.  I was there physically yet invisible to them.  When I'd started experimenting with my "Almost Mode', I would sometimes lose my concentration and just reappear.  Materializing out of thin air among people can cause strange responses, from screams to faints.  A few times even mild coronaries!  Perfecting this ability had taken weeks of practice and many embarrassing moments.



         "Dr. Gordon, do you ever feel like we're just wasting our time here?"  Ruth asked, continuing to doodle on the yellow legal pad, looking as if she'd just lost her best friend.
         "Ruth, if I felt like that I'd have left the Institute years ago. Think of the specimens we have found so far.  Not just Williams and Halverson, but the others that showed one type of the phenomena or another."
         "I know Gordy, but every year it's harder to obtain funding, and after twelve years, all I have to show for our research is several hundred miles of computer tapes.  Oh, and a few tons of paperwork in boxes that no one really cares about.  This is all rather depressing sometimes."
         Her lab partner waddled to a cabinet and pulled out a folder.  "I seem to remember a few years ago, a young woman very excited about this man."  He laid the manila folder on the table in front of her.
         "Yes Gordy, but I was only twenty-two back then, and Uri was my first contact with the phenomena." She explained, ignoring the closed folder.
         "Yes Ruth, but certainly not your last."
         Looking up, Ruth asked, "Gordy, do you really think it's possible for one person to have more than one aspect of the phenomena?"
         He picked up the file, sliding it back into the drawer.  "Do you remember Mrs. Holmquist?"  Ruth nodded reluctantly.  "Then you should remember, for a brief span, how many psychic tendencies she exhibited."
         Rising from her chair, Ruth glided over to a hot-plate and poured steaming water into a monogrammed mug, then added a tea bag and sugar.  "Yes Gordy, but she was a fluke and you know it." She disputed with a shrug.
         "Call her what you will Ruth, but for three weeks we had our hands full with that woman."
         "I remember.  I still have the paperwork."  She took her steaming mug and returned to her workstation.  "But if she never had that car crash she would never have shown any of them." Ruth said sitting back down, still trying to press her point.
         "Aha, but we don't know that for sure.  She may have done some of her tricks for years, and never even noticed."  Now he poured hot water for himself into a bright-yellow mug.
         "Gordy, how could someone do everything that Mrs. Holmquist did and never notice?" Ruth asked skeptically.
         He poured a generous amount of sugar in his hot water and stirred, but no tea bag.  "The same way you aren't noticing what you're doing with your spoon."  Gordy informed her, with a nod toward her mug.




         I had to move over a few steps to see what the Doctor was doing, and she glanced directly at where I stood; a funny look on her face.  She had the spoon balanced on the edge of her mug.


         "Oh Gordy, this is nothing, just an idle habit of mine." She said dismissively with an elegant wave of her hand.
         "Precisely Ruth, just as Mrs. Holmquist may have telekinetically opened and closed doors for years, never paying any attention to what she was doing.  If a habit feels natural and done often, we take it for granted more often than not."
         "Yes, I understand what you're saying, but that doesn't explain how she could move things, start fires, even go to sleep in one place but wake up in a different place.  Sometimes so far away the journey would have been physically impossible to make in the time allowed." Ruth argued, tapping her pen on the yellow pad.
         "Yes, but all of Mrs. Holmquist's psychic abilities occurred after her concussion from her car crash, then after three weeks, just stopped." Gordy patiently reminded Ruth as he waddled back to his corner with his steaming mug of sugar-water.
         "So, what are you saying, as if I didn't already know?" Ruth asked with a slight frown.
         "I'm afraid I side with Dr. Tober on this subject.  I think we have the latent tendencies in us, maybe not everyone, but certainly many of us, and with the right stimulation they manifest themselves."           
         Ruth toyed with her spoon, looking doubtful.
         Dr. Gordy continued.  "And I feel strongly, as Dr. Tober does, that out there is someone who has these and other aspects of the phenomena.  Some we may not be aware of yet."




         Right on, Doctor, I thought.  That was part of the reason I was here.  I could do so many things, and this was the place to show off my talents: The Institute of Psychic Research, London, England.
         I mentally focused on Dr. Tober's office, and BLIP! I teleported into the Doctor's office.
         He was reading, papers scattered across his desk.  He read on for several minutes, unaware of my presence, though I was no longer in my 'Almost Mode'.  He finally glanced up at me.  His eyes grew bigger, reflecting surprise, then in an instant he was under control.  I guess working at the Institute would condition you to the unexpected.
         "Ahem, uh, who are you, and why are you in my office?"  He asked nervously, peering around me, probably trying to see if one of the Doctors had ushered me into his office.
         "Excuse me for dropping in Doctor, but I'm the man who called you the other day." I explained.
         "The American, uh, Mr. Merlin?"  He politely inquired.
         "That's right, Doctor.  Arthur Merlin, late of the US of A."  I announced with a flourish and a bow.
         He stared at me impassively, not at all impressed.
         He waved to a nearby chair.  "Please sir, be seated."
         I sat in a chair designed to get you up and out of the office as quickly as possible.  Apparently, lollygagging isn't allowed in Dr. Tober's office.
         He shuffled up the scattered papers, putting them back in a file folder.  Leaning forward, with clasped hands on top of his desk, he asked, "I have the standard tests to arrange, but why don't you start by telling me what abilities you are capable of doing that you think I might be interested in?"
         "Okay Doctor, It's been called the Geller Effect, but what he plays with, I do quite well.  Then there are other abilities I do that he can't even pretend to do." I proudly boasted.
         Dr. Tober leaned back in his chair, took off his glasses and tiredly rubbed his big, round eyes.  "Uh, what exactly do you do, Arthur?"  As he put his glasses back on, I felt as if I was sitting with the most bored man alive.
         I couldn't understand why he wasn't impressed.  I was exactly the person the Doctors were discussing in the lab, but he didn't seem at all interested.  True, there couldn't be that many people, if any, who had all of my abilities.  I suppose Dr. Tober would have to be leery in his position.  Who knew what kind of nutcases wandered in off the streets?  I would just have to prove my uniqueness.
         "Telekinesis, teleportation, pryokinesis, astral projection, levitation in any form, and a kind of matter transference I doubt you've had any experience with." I elaborated, ticking them off on my fingers.
         "Uh, yes Arthur, well perhaps you would consent to a small, uh, demonstration for me?"  He asked with skepticism.
         "Certainly, Doctor."  Sitting in that unwelcoming chair, eager to flaunt my talents, I glanced around his office.  Filing cabinets, a few pictures, lots of official framed diplomas.  Not much else.  Ah, the wastebasket, full of crumpled-up papers.  Mentally focusing on the wastebasket, the crumpled-up papers burst into flames. Creating intense heat took so little of my concentration.
         Dr. Tober sprang from his chair, yelling, "My God, man!"
         "Relax Doctor, I can control the flames."  I mentally shut down the fire and it fizzled with a small WHUMP.  Simple if you remove all the oxygen from that spot.  Although I'd had some interesting times while learning that trick.
         The good Doctor was plastered against his file cabinet.  He didn't look nearly as disinterested or skeptical now.  Gray smoke drifted through his office, making him cough.
         "I'll open a window, Dr. Tober." I gallantly offered.
         Not moving, big eyes watering, he said, "Uh, the windows can't be opened above the second floor, and we're on the fifth floor."
         I mentally focused on the window set into the wall behind his chair; glass, thick, wire-reinforced.  The window began to dissolve allowing fresh air to flow inside.
         "What did you just do?" He demanded.
         "Relax; I dissolved the window into a screen.  Don't worry; I'll change the window back."
         Still staring wide-eyed at the window turned to screen, he reached out and picked up his phone, keeping his distance from me.  "Doctor Burns, grab Gordy and get in here right now!" He ordered.
         Judging by his reaction to my demonstration, he might not be as immune to the unexpected as I thought.  He gave me the look most people do when I've used abilities that they don't have, as if I was a cockroach crawling across their hand.
         The door burst open and in rushed the tall woman from the lab, followed closely by the short, round and now puffing man.  She shot me the same funny look she had in the lab.
         Recovering his composure, Dr. Tober returned to his chair, introducing us around.  He gave a brief description of my demonstration.  Dr. Gordy peered into the trashcan, while Dr. Burns hesitantly walked over to the window, gently touching the screen.  She turned, staring at me with skepticism, distrust and a touch of fear.
         Telepathically I said to her, *No Ruth, no hoax.*
         Startled, she asked, "Telepathy?"
         "Yes." I said, staring back into her beautiful jade-green eyes.
         Looking suspiciously at Ruth, Tober said, "But I heard nothing.  Gordy?"
         "No sir, not a word." Gordy confirmed, also looking at Ruth
         Defensively, she stated, "Well I did!"
         "Of course, Ruth.  I was speaking only to you."
         She was flustered, looking from Dr. Tober to Dr. Gordon.
         I told her with a smug smile, "And I read your mind Doctor, and now I know everything about you, down to your smallest, little secret."  Telepathically I said, *Don't worry Ruth, I won't discuss your sex life.* I gave her a lewd wink.
         Her hand flew to her mouth and she blushed furiously!
         "Dr. Burns, are you all right?" asked Dr. Tober, looking concerned.
         "Yes Dr. Tober, I'M FINE!" Ruth replied through clenched teeth.           
         Tober's analytical eyes and Gordy's puzzled ones bounced back and forth from Ruth to me.
         By her mannerisms and the way she carried herself, I could tell she was from an affluent background.  She was fighting hard to maintain her composure.  Aloud I said soothingly, "Relax Doctor, calm down."
         Looking uncomfortable, Dr. Tober cleared his throat, reminding them, "Mr. Merlin has come to the Institute so we can conduct some tests."
         Excited, Gordy asked, "I'd like to see the pyrotechnic demonstration again, sir.  I'll gather more paper."
         "No need Doctor; I can burn the ashes for you."  The trashcan burst into a ball of flames.
         The Doctors stared transfixed at the smokeless fire.  Gordy asked suspiciously, "Hypnosis?"  He held his hand toward the fire.  "I can feel the heat!"  He exclaimed with surprise.  Too close, his jacket caught fire, flames rising quickly.  "Ahhh!"
         I mentally shut down the fire with a WHOMP!  Gordy's skin was badly burned, the pain beginning to register.  I mentally blocked his pain and told Tober, "Better get him to the hospital; he sustained a second-degree burn."
         Tober was already on the phone, seconds later two men in lab-coats rushed through the door and over to Dr. Gordon.
         I told them, "He'll feel no pain for several hours, which should give you plenty of time to get him treated."
         The two men in lab-coats helped guide the frightened and badly burned Gordy out of the office.  But as they left, two men in uniforms marched in, wearing guns.  Guards or more likely soldiers.
         Standing, Tober stared down at me, declaring, "I'm sorry Arthur, but I'm afraid we'll have to detain you."
         Exuding hard-assed determination, the guards drew their weapons, pointing them at me.  One guard had a pair of handcuffs out.
         Tober continued, "We are primarily funded by our government, and I'm sure they will want to question you at length.  You seem to be the man we have been searching for."
         Looking down the business end of the guards' weapons, with a wolfish smile, I slowly rose from that uncomfortable chair and mentally focused on the guards.  They each gave me an idiotic smile back, ambled over, handing me their guns, and the cuffs.  I holstered their guns back on their belts, saying "Nice of you to stop by men.  Now, please go take a break."
         "Yes, sir."  They did an about-face, marching out the door.  As they were leaving, Tober yelled at them to return, to no avail.
         Dr. Burns, looking scared, asked, "Was that a form of hypnosis?"
         Being a bit peeved, I gave her a curt nod along with an icy, grey-eyed glare.
         I saw the realization dawn on Tober and Ruth that I could as easily have had the guards turn their weapons on themselves, or even the Doctors.  Tober paled and sat boneless in his plush office chair.
         Trying to gather his wits, defending his actions, Tober stammered, "You must realize Arthur, I meant you no harm, but you are a very valuable speci-, er, I mean asset to us in our research."
          With self-righteous anger I told him, "Doctor, I came to your Institute for several reasons.  First, I thought you people would be different and take my abilities seriously.  You can't detain me, or hold me one second longer than I want to be.  Don't you realize how I arrived in your office?  I teleported from the lab to your office, after I was finished listening to your conversation."
         "But there was only Dr. Burns and Dr. Gordon when I left." Tober blustered.
         "Oh yes there was, Doctor," wagging my finger at him.  "I was there, you just couldn't see me."
         Dr. Burns sent me that funny look again.
          "Yes Dr. Burns, you probably felt my presence."
         Tober took out a handkerchief, wiping his enlarged eyes again.           
         I continued my lecture, "If I work for or with any Institution or Government, it's because I want to.  No one can force me to do a damn thing."  I had expected this type of reaction, but it still disappointed me that they wanted to treat me like a lab rat.  So much for believing in the humanity of man.
         Tober studied me for several seconds, calculating, then asked, "Uh, Arthur, could you please excuse us for a few moments?  I must discuss this with Dr. Burns, in private.  Uh, we have a cafeteria on the second floor.  Perhaps you would wait there for us, maybe have a spot of tea while you wait?"
         "Where at on the second floor, Doctor?" I asked with a sigh.  I knew I had to give them a second chance.
         "Uh, the whole east side of the building."
         Wanting to impress on the two Doctors their inability to hold or detain me, I teleported to the second floor, into the stairwell outside the cafeteria.
         As I entered the cafeteria, I saw my two hypnotized guards sharing a table.  They gave me two idiotic smiles and waved.  I gave an acknowledging nod, ordered a cup of really bad-looking coffee, and sat alone, waiting.




© Copyright 2013 Sahara (saharafoley at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1964825-ARTHUR-MERLIN-The-One-and-Only