*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1965856-American-Politics
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1965856
Assignment #7

Patrick Kern

Professor Goergen



Portfolio Assignment #7

I measured my household carbon footprint at epa.gov. The estimate of our current household emissions is 36,381 lbs. of carbon dioxide per year per household member as compared to the average of 20,750 lbs. of carbon dioxide per year for the average household member per year.

This was a shocking statistic to me, as I thought we would be around average. There are four people living in my house with three cars. I think the biggest way we could change that number is through the gas bill. During the summer, cutting back on the air conditioning would certainly help. I know that my dad has an extra individual air conditioner in his room, and is very liberal using it during the summer. I think this is probably the biggest way to decrease our emissions number, although I highly doubt my dad would be willing to give up his air conditioner. He may turn it down a degree or two, but that will be the most he would do.

I also think turning down the heating thermostat by one-three degrees on winter nights would also help. We could all uses more blankets and still sleep comfortably I'm sure. It is definitely easier to add layers in the winter as opposed to the summer when there are no layers to remove.

Paying attention to little things like electricity would help as well, for example, turning off all the lights and power in a room when they are not being used. I do this now, but there are probably still times when the lights are left on. Our computers, T.V's, and other electronic gadgets also add to this number. We have 3 laptops and 3 T.V.'s that are almost always in use if someone is home. I think a way to cut back here would be to turn the computers off when not in use and use the T.V.'s only when we are really watching them, instead of them just being on for background noise. We already recycle, so there is really no room to improve there.

Another way to improve upon that number would be to cut back on driving, and only drive when it is completely necessary. This is the one area I don't really see being a feasible plan because driving is such a necessity in our society, especially living in the suburbs. Everything is sprawled out, and driving is necessary. No one in the family is really taking joy rides, so this number is going to stay pretty much the same.



© Copyright 2013 patrickmichael (patrickmk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1965856-American-Politics