*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1966480-Chapter-2
Rated: ASR · Chapter · Fantasy · #1966480
Its taken me three months but I'm finally happy to present this. Please comment!
Chapter 2
The spring sun shone on the estate of Carlik, Lord of Larkhin. An army of gardeners hurried about the grounds, trimming and ordering, making everything perfect for him. Perfect was the way he liked things.

Carlik was an aging man, but by no means frail. He had taken over the lordship of Larkhin over 30 years before from his father when he died. As the years passed his warrior's physique waned and he turned to more intellectual pursuits, becoming a shrewd tactician and calculating master. So while his hair turned to white and his frame became leaner, his mind constantly sharpened as he plotted to acquire the lands of his neighbouring lords. In his youth he had learned of the borderlands between territories, and how the king at the time had deliberately left their ownership hazy to promote cooperation and peace between the Lords. Of course it had worked at the time, but that was over 200 years past, and the lords became lazy, enjoying the luxuries of their title, while putting in none of the effort that should have earned it. Carlik, knew he was different though. He knew the lords shouldn't sit content and happy. So he played a dangerous game, forming treaties and alliances, garnering land by bribery and intimidation. And since none of it was illegal, he had no need to involve the king. Over the years he had turned Larkhin from one of the smaller territories into the second largest, it's lands encompassing most of the northwest, and reaching as far eastward as the plains around the capital.

Carlik was pleased by his achievements, knowing his two sons would be mighty when he relinquished the lordship to them. He had only one last goal, to make his land the largest territory in the kingdom - and to do that all he needed was to gain control of the forest on his southern border with Andunar. The forest was vast, spreading for 20 leagues east to west. Acquiring it would shift the title of largest state from Andunar to Larkhin. It was disputed land, it should have posed no trouble but somehow the opportunity had slipped through his grasp. The high court was holding a hearing into the incident between his sons and the heir of Andunar, and the king had denied every petition for permission to acquire the land he had sent.

"Why couldn't they have waited!" He roared as he through a chalice across the boardroom. His thin fingers clawed at the wooden table in front of him as anger spread across his aged face. He stared at the wine-stained wall in dismay.

"I failed."

Almost a month had passed since Hùrgil had given his testimony to the court and in that time all of Carlik's credibility had been thrown into doubt. Lords previously too scared to stand up to him now threatened him with blackmail. All his hard work was unravelling.

Taking a deep breath, Carlik stood and collected the cup he had thrown. Turning back to the wine bottle and his maps, he resigned himself to a night of forgetfulness.

Elsewhere in the grounds, Fuhlit, the youngest son wandered as restless as his father was. His elder brother, Carlin, had managed to persuade their father that only one of them needed to answer the summons to the capital and so went alone. It was clear that his brother had wanted to save him the restriction of being stuck in the city, but he chose to spend most of his time around the family estate now. At least here no one could harm him. Remembering the incident in the woods he rubbed his arm, which was still tender almost 6 weeks on. With a sigh Fuhlit returned to his chambers, worrying about his brother.


Over a hundred leagues away while thinking of his brother, Carlin paced the halls of the manor house his family owned on the northern side of Aradin. Its gardens were in full bloom, the spring flowers hanging peacefully outside every window. It was very reminiscent of his home in Larkhin, and yet also very different. It also brought him little comfort. It had been 2 weeks since he had arrived in the city and he still hadn't been brought before the court. Advocates and other legal aides had been pestering him for their services from almost the minute he had arrived, but little had come of it, save the loss of gold. They fought amongst themselves for the so-called 'honour' of representing him.

"Leeches..." He muttered, "Little better than leeches. Is it too much to ask for some peace to prepare myself?"

With a heavy sigh, he forced himself through the threshold and out into the open air of the city. When his valet failed to appear as he left he managed a small smile.

"One less person who can bother me," he thought.

He headed towards the Main North Road, the primary route through the northern half of the city, and quickly lost himself amongst the swathes of people bustling to and fro. Traders headed towards the markets, their suppliers heading out of the city back to whichever part of the country their wares came from. Residents bustled between them, trying to score a good deal or even, Carlin noticed more than once, steal. Of course, more often than not, they were caught red handed and shouted off. Aralin was a good hearted city in general, its residents mostly kind enough that those
unfortunate enough to need it would receive some sort of aid. But that didn't mean they all were. One trader, a butcher, caught a boy trying to make off with a couple of smoked sausages and grabbed him roughly around the neck. The boy had almost turned blue before the butcher let go, and only because one of the city guard had turned onto the street. Carlin had to hold in a laugh; if the boy had tried something like that in Larkhin they would have been flogged but here, life was different.

As he reached the centre of the city, the Harei trees of a nearby orchard began to fill the air with a sweet scent. Carlin relaxed a little, and sat himself down on one of the benches on the road side. Away from the bustle of the markets other people were few in the streets around the orchards, save for those who had business at the citadel or worked in the gardens.

Finally alone, he took out the box he had taken with him from the manor and opened it. Inside was a small knife, just large enough to penetrate through a man's heart, and sharp enough to cut through all but metal. He raised it up to the sunlight that made it through the hanging branches and smiled. It would be the salvation of his family. He would be their hero. If he silenced Hùrgil, the whole business that brought him here would vanish. Better yet, if he managed it in such a way as to avoid casting suspicion on himself, all the better. He knew it would not be easy. Yet he also knew that for the entire time Hùrgil had been in Aradin he had come by this very orchard every day. So he pulled his hood over his head, hid his dagger in his sleeve, and waited.

Meanwhile, Hùrgil spent the afternoon sitting in the courtrooms. It was the first time he had been summoned since he had presented his testimony, and came as a surprise to him. Farlin sat to his left, pouring through notes and scribbles he had interrogated from Hùrgil over the past weeks about the events in the forest. The thin man's face seemed stretched, and his eyes sat dark in his sockets. His tiredness showed, but if Hùrgil ever tried to talk about it, Farlin would assure him that it was simply that he was working hard on the case and it was nothing's to worry about.

As Hùrgil looked around the courtroom he thought he caught a glimpse of a familiar face, but shrugged it off. As the murmurs grew louder, he closed his eyes. Moments later, the speaker arose and called the court to session, at which point Hùrgil received a sharp poke to his arm from Farlin.

"Pay attention! Gods above, looking as though you'd rather be in your bed will not make a good impression."

The judge then rose to address the court.

"We return to the case of Larkhin against Hùrgil. I have received confirmation that the elder son of Carlik has arrived in the city and we will bring him before the court in the coming days. However, this session has been called on a different, albeit related matter. It has been brought to the attention of the Crown that the lordship of Larkhin has sought to expand its borders without royal consent over the past years through bribery and intimidation. The lords of many of Larkhin's neighbouring lands have come forward with information that may pertain to this case. With that we shall begin today's proceedings."

Returning to his seat the judge motioned to one of the guards at the door. As it swung open a timid man trembled his way into the hall. Clearly more used to luxury and solitude than the crowded chamber, the man awkwardly walked over to the podium.

"P-p-pardon, your g-grace. I am Jarvin, aide to the Lord of C-Caranil. I have been sent t-to speak on his behalf." He stuttered. Wringing his hands with nerves Jarvin looked apprehensively up at the judge and speaker.

"Very well." said the Speaker, "Let us begin with why you are here. The lord of Caranil has made claim that the lord of Larkhin has extorted land from him. Is that correct?"

Jarvin seemed to squirm as he spoke. "Yes. Y-yes it is sir."

"Why then has it taken him until now to make these allegations?"

"It is with g-great shame that I must confess that my lord had been intimidated to silence."

Murmurs grew amongst the crowd again as Hùrgil rolled his eyes. Turning to Farlin he said, "If any of the lords had any courage in them, they wouldn't have been intimidated by Carlik. They are complacent. Is it any wonder he succeeded?"

The counsellor sighed, rubbing his brow. "While you may speak the truth sir, might I suggest you keep such opinions to yourself? We really don't need to make any more enemies, do we? The lord of Caranil is very close in the king's circle, even if simply by birth right it's true but he would be a powerful enemy should he choose to be. Whatever hold Lord Carlik held over him must have been substantial. Please, show some faith in your counsel."

Rebuked, Hùrgil turned his attention back to the trembling aide, who had meanwhile begun explaining his master's situation.

"So it was that when my m-master came to contest Lord Carlik, he was threatened with b-blackmail, which my master had to yield to. It shames him so to admit that he was conquered so horribly."

"And what was so shameful that the lord of Caranil could be blackmailed, so mighty a lord as he is?" The speaker questioned, his eyebrows visibly raised. The entire crowd within the court was transfixed on the aide, eager for the secrets he was about to surrender.

"I c-cannot say, sir. I haven't been given permission to reveal that."

The aide was visibly uncomfortable, even more so than when he arrived. As the crowd continued to stare down at him, the poor man's spirit seemed to crumble but he was obviously loyal.

"Masters of the c-court, I beg your pardon." Pulling at his collar the aide bowed his head. "I humbly r-request an adjournment." He dared to look up at the judge and speaker, and in that moment quailed. "S-so that I might r-request my master's advice?"

The judge then rose and the murmuring voices silenced themselves as the entire court turned to look at him.

"Jarvin, aide to the Lord of Caranil. You may have your adjournment. You have one day. I suggest you utilise the services for communication that can provide your answer in that time. Else, you shall tell us all that you know on this matter with or without thy master's blessing. Heed my words, your master does not control the court, and his reason for keeping the source of this blackmail had better be of the highest standard." The judge then turned and left the room, with the speaker left to restore order, for the crowd had risen in uproar at being denied the revelations they had expected the aide to bring.

Looking at Farlin with mild amusement, Hùrgil stood and left unnoticed by the crowd.


Leaving the citadel as the sun began to set, Hùrgil headed for the inn he had stayed in for the past month. He had received messages from his father several times, telling him to make use of the family manor on the Western edge of the city, but he had never taken the opportunity to do so. He had lived in the opulence of the lordship for all his youth, and had quickly become disillusioned with it. Instead he adopted a more meek role, becoming a guardian of the realm, protecting the people of his father's land. This was the first time in years he had spent such a length of time in any city, and he found it rather unsettling. He was content enough wandering the streets alone, particularly through the gardens in the centre of the city, but the crowded markets, even the well filled taverns run by the innkeepers, he avoided when he could. Nature held more value for him. He could never explain it to anyone, it was simply who he was.

Walking back down the river he passed the Harei grove that marked the street that led him to his residence. The sun was a pale golden glow reaching over the horizon, only just visible if he looked back downstream as he reached the main road, the gloom of dusk made the streets seem as though they too would vanish with the sunlight. Hùrgil couldn't help but notice, as he made his way up the road, the cloaked man sitting on the bench.

"Had one too many, sir? You won't find your home this way." He called out.

When the man didn't respond, he felt inclined to check the man was well. He approached casually, placing a hand on the man's shoulder.

"Are you ok, sir?"

He gently shook the man's shoulder before recoiling back. With a quiet groan he placed a hand on his flank before muttering a curse as he felt the warm dampness of his blood on his fingers. He looked up again in time to see the man running up the road, his hood held up. Hùrgil sucked in a deep breath before giving chase, attempting to ignore the pain.

Carlin refused to look over his shoulder at the man who should be dying. Instead he just ran hoping to reach the sanctuary of his manor without anyone thinking anything was wrong.

Meanwhile Hùrgil continued to bear down on his attacker, feeling his life trickle slowly away through the puncture in his side. It wasn't until they reached the throng of men and women in the market square their chase came to an end. Amidst the crowd Carlin disposed of his hooded cloak and blended in perfectly, before slipping away with another group headed towards the northern edge. His attacker gone, Hùrgil headed towards his inn cursing quietly. He held his side firmly, determined not to let it ail him much but knew he needed to have it tended sooner than not.
© Copyright 2013 Rosalie Sinclair (magna1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1966480-Chapter-2