*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1966610-The-backstory-of-Liza
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1966610
A brief overview of my character Liza from my upcoming story Blood of a Hunter
          When Liza was born, she remembers only light, and in her first few days, the blurred image of her mother. Her sister, Megan, has been with her since the beginning. Though, unlike her sister, she has always heard a voice. It comes and goes, and usually speaks in soft tones of a woman. Some argue she is rehearing her mother, others that she may have minor schizophrenia. She also has sight issues, which she keeps to herself. Everything around her seems tinted white.
         She always tended to be optimistic, believing that the world couldn't possibly be as bleak as Megan said it was. In the orphanage, Megan was always protecting her. She was grateful, but unsure if it was all really necessary. Liza was often told that if some saw the glass as half empty or half full, she saw it as just enough.
         Later, the twins were adopted by the Antonia family, from whom they get their last name. She learned early on that the Antonia's were shifters. Megan often told her that their situation was strange, not just that they were twins who were angel and demon, but that shifters chose to look after them. But Liza failed to see what was wrong with this. Why was it a bad thing that the Lines were looking out for each other?
         On their sixteenth birthday, Megan surprised them all by announcing that she was going to enter the Hunter Trials. Even Liza was not oblivious to this; she knew the Hunter Trials would separate the strong from the weak, and those who were not prepared would be broken, mentally, physically or both. Though she knew all of this, it took her only a few moments to decide she would go as well. Either they would be Hunters together, or Megan wouldn't have to worry about her anymore.
         Both the twins were surprised to learn that they were to be split up for the trial. However, Liza adapted quickly. Despite Megan's protests, she had not realized one thing. After all the years of protecting her, the two had actually grown a little further apart. The ice of the real world began to sink into her then.
         During her Trials, Liza was assigned to help Masen hunt down a dryad in the woods. What neither of them realized was that they had been led into a trap. The single dryad was not alone; they had been led into an entire colony. Without hesitation, Masen had moved her aside, and began to fight. She saw the blood, and heard the screams of the dryads.
         Something in her mind clicked.
         Light formed a crescent hand-blade for her. She sliced at the dryads, using unburied strength and will from within. A fatal strike, aimed at Masen came from behind him. She raised her hand, and a translucent barrier deflected the blow. The battle continued for several minutes. In the end, the remaining dryads retreated, and a wounded Masen remained. His injuries were severe. Liza knew there was no time to get him help. She channeled her energy to her hands, and attempted to heal him. Though his wounds closed, it was too late. Liza knelt down over Masen, lifeless.
         She never spoke of this with anyone. Even now, Megan can only say that the Trials "made Liza grow up fast." In the end, both sisters had passed the trials, and were assigned to Section 7, in Seattle, Washington.
© Copyright 2013 Jane Montero (jamiexcross at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1966610-The-backstory-of-Liza